SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

CODLIVER OIL AND PREGNANT MARES?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » CODLIVER OIL AND PREGNANT MARES? « Previous Next »

mary anne higgins
Weanling
Username: Mary_23

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi is it safe to give codliver oil to pregnant mares.IF not is there any other supplement i can give to help keep my mare supple and shiny.
THANK YOU .

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I notice nobody has answered this......but didn't want you to feel like you got left hanging.....
I have no idea if it's safe or not. I'd try reposting to JOS

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 900
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mary anne: I too didn't respond because I had no idea. Codliver oil...yuck...does your mare actually eat that stuff??? My grandma used to spoon feed that stuff to us when we complained we didn't feel well and she knew we were just trying to get out of chores! LOL! There are various oils out there that are are marketed under suppliments. Personally, I just use corn oil with my horses, pregos or not.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dont know if cod liver oil is safe for preggers equine but its not for preg women I would use flax seed oil or powder works great so does corn oil or any cooking grease

Holly
Breeding Stock
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 674
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use Flax seed oil. I wouldnt use cod oil, its animal based and horses eat plant origin. JMO.
I either grind my own flax seed and add it to their feed or I use the Flax seed oil you can but at the Vitamin Isle. It works excellent and it gives them the omegas they need, shines them up like a new penny.

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Holly: I was wanting to give my horses flax for their coats too, but it is so expensive. How much do you pay for the oil verses the seed? I found the cheapest way to buy it is in a 50lb bag of the whole flax seed which I heard is kind of pointless to feed it to them whole because they don't really chew it up, and therefore don't get any benefit from it. Therefore I heard that the best way to feed it to them is to grid it up, correct? So my next question is, "How long does it keep for after it has been ground up?" Should I just grind up what I need each day, and how much do you feed your horses? Sorry for all the questions, I'm anal that way.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feed mine anywhere from a 1/4 cup to a 1/2 cup depending on what I feel like. you can store it almost indefinately in your fridge or freezer or airtight container since i live in ar its the deep freeze. try a health food store that sells in bulk

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny do you grid up yours and then freeze it? My feed store sells a 50lb bag for about $50.00.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes but I also store the unground stuff in there. its great for ppl to i get mine from the health store its a 5 gal bucket for 15 bucks not sure of its weight tho

Holly
Breeding Stock
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 681
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I buy mine by the 3 lb bag and its the whole seeds. Its 3 dollars. I grind each day in my mini hand held coffee grinder.
I only use a tbs a day per mare but I have minis.
I also use the oil in the capsule and I give one a day on a horse cookie I poke it and squeeze the oil on the cookie.

mary anne higgins
Weanling
Username: Mary_23

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANK YOU ALL for responding.
ive now bought some flax seed oil .
HOW often do u feed it on the bottle it says upto
three times a week?

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feed it once a day on the ones i grain daily whenever i remember on the others

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US