SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Blood Test?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Blood Test? « Previous Next »

Jane Whritenour
Weanling
Username: Quarterhorsetimestwo

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well if our mare "Penny" is pregnant this is day 105. My own instinct is she is Pregnant. The U/S she had in Aug was questionable. As the vet didn't see a normal 60 day pregnancy. She had not gone into heat as before. Her heat cycle was a 10 before winking all over I have seen her wink one since June. She has whispered to our gelding but not anything like before maybe a 2 now
I was thinking of having her blood tested I believe it would be an estrone Sulphate test.

I called my local vet who had to research it. I then asked the price that had to be researched too. Has anyone had this blood test done & will it give me a definate answer as to a viable pregnancy?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can get a "home test" using the "WeeFoal" test kit, or you can get a lab test done through BET Labs. Details are available through both of those links.

Jane Whritenour
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, BET LAbs will only do the test for a vet. I called them. Or at least under a vets name

Is the Wee foal accurate?

Bonny
Breeding Stock
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 500
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should get an accurate result with wee foal. It is an easy test just collect urine. I have had good results with it. It detects a hormone secreted by the fetal so if its positive, there is a viable foal at the time of testing.
Let us know how it turns out.

Bonny
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 501
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes to your question, an estrone sulfate will give you a viable foal reading at the time of testing also. Rocky Mountain Labs will test for you- no vet needed, but you need to collect and send the sample.

Kit
Weanling
Username: Kit

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had this test done on both my mares who showed up negative on an ultrasound. I did do a weefoal test on both of them first (highly recommend these tests!!!!) Then had the vet do an etsrone sulphate test. I had my vet come out, It was around the same price as any other blood and lab tests (not real cheap) but does give you a definate yes or no!!!. It gave me a very approximate date on one mare. The other mare came back with levels over 1000. Which means shes at least 160 days in foal or more!! at least my minds at rest now. Ive only got around 92 days left for my first ever foal YAY lol

Jane Whritenour
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blood will drawn on Tues afternoon. So we will see. I don't know how long the results will take.

Maybe by next weekend I might know something. I'm going to copy the levels page I saw somewhere
so incase my vet doesn't know them.

Funny thing. Way back in June when I had her out here. I told her how much I had been reading on reproduction. She laughed and said she might need me to consult. That's scary. I better do some more research

Jane Whritenour
Weanling

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the blood has been drawn so we will see what results we get. Here is what the vet had to say while she was here. Granted the last time she saw her was 6/18. "She had a maternal look to her, she definitly is more mellow with both of us ( me & her) Has put on some weight & her udder is definitely different- maybe from the weight."

Now i'll just wait for the results. CAn you guys sent some good pregnancy vibes to those test results? Any comments on the vets comments?

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1918
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane~Sending you Pregnancy vibes!!!!!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 991
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, vibes your way.....but why didn't the vet palpate again while she was there?!

Bonny
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 557
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 02:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea! Crud! Why didnt he?When did the vet say the results will be in?

Marilyn Lemke - Asia born 7-11-08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 06:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, big time vibes coming your way. That is strange she didn't palpate... oh well, let us know what the results are please.

Jane Whritenour
Weanling

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the results are back....... Her number was 467 so that makes her pregnant. According to the sheet. that makes her between 120 - 130 days. SHe would actually be 113 when the test was done.

I was preparing for a bad answer so I'm in shock now. Althought the vet was shocked also as two other vets missed it with U/S & she herself didn't think she was. She didn't want to congratulate until a healthy foal is delived & nursing.

I guess I can add us to the 09 foalwatch. huh

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1928
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yipee! Congratulations! Can't wait to see what she is baking!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US