SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Blanket for pregnant/nursing mare?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Blanket for pregnant/nursing mare? « Previous Next »

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 298
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare due February 4th (unless she goes closer to her previous gestation of 320 days, then we're looking at January, but anyways..). She is a thin skinned Arab, gets cold very easily. She normally starts wearing her blanket in Novemeber, and typically has to wear it through April.

This mare is an overly sensitive princess, and if she gets too cold she will just stand in a corner in her stall and shiver. She won't even look at any type of food. We've had some mild colic episodes with her on nights that her blanket wasn't on, and she got too cold. So, I know it's not a problem until she starts getting close to foaling.

Then what? Do I leave it on her until I know she's in labor? There's really no way to heat my barn, as it's kind of more of a mare-motel on the side that I put the foaling stall.

Then what do I do when baby comes? I don't want the foal to have to deal with a blanket to nurse, but I don't want my mare freezing either. When she foaled in 2007 in May, it wasn't a problem.

I live in California, so it really doesn't get that cold, but I guess she's just a wimp lol.

Any suggestions?

annie zurth
Neonate
Username: Girl_z

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you hang up a heat lamp?

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 02:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also have very thin skinned Arabs so I feel your pain! I kept a blanket on my mare until she was very close to being due but she foaled in June so it was much easier taking her blanket off in May than it would of been in January!

Does she give you good hints that she's about to deliver? One of my mares always start dripping milk and then delivers that night, with her I could leave her blanket on until hours before she foaled.

I wouldn't worry about after foaling, I put a blanket back on my mare after she foaled and the baby nursed fine.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 851
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aw, crud, hadn't even thought of that!!! JUst moved to OK from TX, and will probably need blankets...I have some foal blankets, and having babies in FEB...YUCK!!! Too cold for foal watch...can we RESCHEDULE!?

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 300
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Annie- I'm too paranoid about barn fires with heat lamps, a family member's barn burnt down due to the one night she left a heat lamp on. Barn fires are my worst nightmare :S If I had a metal barn, then I'd def. think about hanging one, but I just don't want to risk it with my old wood barn.

Tracy- She has only had one foal, but she waxed and was dripping milk the day she foaled, so it was pretty obvious. Maybe if I just removed the hind leg straps? I just don't want baby being caught in them :S Hows Reggie's leg doing? I havn't heard any updates on him in a while.

Diana- Seriously! The things we do for these mares, lol.

Bonny
Breeding Stock
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 415
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samantha, I can understand your concern for fire. I was also thinking heat lamp, but that really wouldnt make you feel better. I wonder if there is a design of a blanket that would work better for her to nurse than others? I was also thinking, that if you do blanket her before she foals, just take the blanket off when she seems really close and turn on a heat lamp temporarily. After she foals add the blanket back.
If you have her on mare stare we will help you watch her!!! Then you have many eyes and wont miss it. :-)
Diana, I worry about the cold and I am still in Texas! LOL!

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 01:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samantha, thanks for asking! He's doing well, his leg does have a lump from his injury but he seems to be sound. I noticed he trips very easily now though so I'm hoping with time that goes away. I haven't ridden him yet but will probably get on him soon.

As for your mare I think I would keep the blanket on with the hind straps off and when she starts to drip milk, take the blanket off completely. After she foals, put her blanket back on and I bet you'd be fine!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US