SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Estrone Sulphate levels

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Estrone Sulphate levels « Previous Next »

Kit
Neonate
Username: Kit

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello :-)

I have had 2 of my mares confirmed in foal by the vet with bloodtests. The problem is they were both thought to not be in foal so ran with a second stallion (pasture bred). Just wanting to know if someone can tell me what these results would be. How far along can I expect them to be id like to know so I have rough due dates and can pinpoint which stallion it is.
Thanks for any advice!

Mare 1 = over 1000 (thats all he said)

Mare 2 = 230.61

Bonny
Breeding Stock
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 326
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are the dates they were covered? If possible can you get an ultrasound? That would help!
I was/am in the same situation with my mini. She is anywhere from 6 months to due any day.

Kit
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Bonny
Not possible to do a US on them all the vets in the area are men (to bigger hands)
They ran with the stallions from jan - apr
All I know is mare 2 wouldnt have gotten in foal till the end of Feb at the earliest

Bonny
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 330
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the feeling. Are your mare minis also? I have the same thing in my area, but my vet just did mine. He wasnt able to get his probe in quite far enough to give a better look, but he did see enough to tell she was at least 6 plus months.
I wish I could be more help with the levels.

Kit
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes (maiden) minis :-) so it makes it hard :-( there is a vet in the area who has an abdominal one but they are meant to not be as accurate hes a good vet though so if I get desperate I might try it anyway.
Still hope there might be someone who knows about the levels, Think they would be my best bet at the
moment

Bonny
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand, mine is a maiden mini also! And my vet only had abdominal US but just got a new rectal probe.
We must be neighbors, I didnt think any other part of the country was so back woods when it came to mini mares!

Post a pic of your girls!
You can see all Bonny you want on my thread!

Kit
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have read some of your thread Bonny is gorgeous! Thats what im worried about though - not knowing ill be pulling my hair out soon! Being maidens id like more of an idea.

Kit
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops forgot to add I dont have the cord to put photos onto my computer at the moment will have to remember to buy one!! :-)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The following is provided from the BET Labs website. BET Labs is a sister company to BET Pharmacy. BET Labs offer hormonal assay services, including pregnancy checking.

DAYS OF PREGNANCYTOTAL ESTROGENS (pg/mL)
Barren/open5-50
90-10075
100-110205
110-120356
120-130469
130-140857
140-1501040
150-320Greater than 1000

Note that the above table is prepared for full sized horses and ponies.

You would be well advised to run parentage verification DNA testing on the resulting foal to confirm your suspicions.

Kit
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos thanks so much for that!

DNA will definately be done asap. Its driving me crazy not knowing :-(

May I ask how it affects the table if my mares are minis and the table is for full size horses? will it be inaccurate?

Thanks again :-)

Bonny
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 335
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kit, maybe you could call Bet Labs and ask them? Or send them a blood sample and see what they think.
I am guessing they would know how to convert the numbers for minis.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2126
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Bonny says - contact BET labs and discuss it with them. I am not aware of data or research to indicate either similarity or difference in minis from others, hence my caution above.

Kit
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No worries Jos will do that.
Thanks again for your help it very much appreciated :-)

Bonny
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 341
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kit, keep us posted, I will be interested in hearing the results!

Kit
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Bonny tried to get a hold of Bet Labs but couldnt. I tried the contact us option and it didnt work. I cant call as im in australia and I have international calling blocked. Just thought id let you know. Look forward to seeing Bonnys foal (eventually lol) take care :-)

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 756
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll call them for you if you can get me the number

Bonny
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 350
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet you could find it on line...I will look for it Diana...

Bonny
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 351
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1 (859) 273-3036 Office

There is the #.

Kit
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that Bonny :-)
Diana very kind offer. Thanks!!!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 759
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, i didn't abandon you guys, i went out of town a day or two....I'll call them first thing Monday, and report back!

Kit
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Diana :-)

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 760
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, i called BET...they said the values do not change for miniature mares. In fact, the only time they DO change is if you're testing a miniature donkey, in which case, the estrogen levels are 20% lower. So, follow the chart, and you're good to go!!! Although, any horse that rates 150 could be very early in pregnancy, or ready to foal....as estrogens rise initially to 150 days. Then begin to decline again close to foaling.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 761
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over a 1,000 puts a mare anywhere between 150 days and 320...
230 indicates anywhere b/w 110 and 130 days.

Kit
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana Thanks so much I really appreciate you doing that for me (and for everyone else thats interested aswell)so kind of you!!!
Its a huge thing to know for me and with the second mare I now know definately who the stallions is. My first mare I can now narrow it down to between 150 - 210 days on the day she was tested. Thanks again Diana :-) my precious minis thank you too :-)

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 769
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

glad i could be of help...it taught me a few new things too!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US