SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Will a mare come into season if she is preg?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Will a mare come into season if she is preg? « Previous Next »

kellie neal
Neonate
Username: Klbn

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have a mare that should be three months was ultrasounded at forty days comfirmed pregnant this yesterday she came into etrus and showing to my stallion willing to stand for breeding is it possible she is still preg?

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its possible shes still pregnant Ive had several cycle then foal. In fact I have a mare that I bought recently she wasnt supposed to be bred and she cycled within the first month here but lastnight I got to looking at her and thought she looked preggo so checked her bag and walla its half full with expressable milk so I figure she'll foal in a wk or 2. Ive only had her 2 months so no way was this my guys doing.

Bonny
Breeding Stock
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 266
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would watch her, because some mare will show a heat of sort around the third month with the hormone changes. Watch and see if she comes in again in a few weeks. If she does I would have the vet re check her.

kellie neal
Neonate
Username: Klbn

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you

Bonny
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 268
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your welcome. Let us know how she does.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 693
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright Bonny, why do you say mares will show in the 3rd month? B/c now I have dilemmas with a breed date. Scenario:
I have a mare I bred on 5/15 & 5/17...
on 6/5 she was receptive to the stallion although not her usual hussy self...she squatted in front of his stall, so I brought him out to breed her. She stood for him until he mounted, and then tried to get away the entire time he was "yaknow"...so, she was only bred the one time in June, and again on 6/13 she was peeing in front of his stall, but never back in full standing heat since the may breeding. What is my likely breed date here? I have never had a mare do that.

Bonny
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 274
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read somewhere on here, I think Jos said it, though I cant remember for positive, that its not all that uncommon for mares to show around the 3rd month of gestation, I know it is hormone related but not entirely sure why. I will try to find it if not maybe someone else can verify this theory?
I remember this because My Paint mare bred in Feb then no cycle March and in April around her 12th week gestation I saw her flirting again with the gelding next door and I happened to read that and it was coincidence that is what was going on with my mare. She was confirmed in foal and is now almost 6 months.

I dont know what to say about your girl Diana, thats only a cycle apart.Has she cycled since?
I would see if the vet can verify fetal age if not watch her starting next April! :-)

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 701
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, she hasn't cycled since. I just don't know if that one day of "kinda interested" counted as a final breed date, or she was possibly already bred. She's never done this to me before....

Bonny
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 277
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, thats tricky, welcome to my world! LOL, I have 3 of those months apart! :-)

Not funny but I know how you feel!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 603
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: Hey...Blossom does that behavior. I bred her for three successive months last year thinking that she hadn't taken because she was just to "hussy" and continually let my stallion mount and breed her. I took her to the equine vet thinking that I had a hormonal imbalance going on with getting her bred...only to find out that she was 3 months into gestation. Blew my mind! I "assumed" that she took more on the second month of exposure since I only bred her on the tail end of her first heat cycle the first time....lo and behold, she wasn't "due" until the end of April according to what I thought was the breeding date (second exposure). Guess what??? Got a foal 3 weeks early...NOT! She took on the first breeding. I think you are going to have to just be prepared that she may have taken on the first breeding. Prepare for the first exposure date and if she's not developing foaling "signs" then I think you can savely assume the other date.

If you really want to know, I'd do at least a simple palpation. The vet can usually tell how far along you are. But, I do know that the foal falls down under the pelvic bone region between the 3rd month through the 9th month of gestation and the vet can't always reach it anymore so if this is the route you want to take, I'd do it fairly soon.

:-)

corina gabel
Breeding Stock
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

same here. Bred in early june last year no heat ( checked everyday) tell early aug. breadagain but only stook 1/2 way ( didnt really want to but she showed heat so we mad her0 she foaled july 10th very very very big with milk for almost 2 months, showing sign of pending foaling for 2 months.....
or repo vet told us very commen but the contamination tends to abort the pregs alltogether so he belived that she took on the 2nd date.

BEPREPARED FOR THE FIST DATE BUT DONT WorRY IF SHE GOES OVER! thats what i was told.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US