SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

PREGNANT OR HAY BELLY? WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » PREGNANT OR HAY BELLY? WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK? « Previous Next »

susan lewis
Yearling
Username: Luv4mastiffs567

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'VE GOT A MINI MARE THAT HAS BEEN WITH THE STUD SINCE LAST YEAR. AT FIRST I THOUGHT SHE WAS PREGNANT BUT I DONT KNOW IF ITS A HAY BELLY OR NOT. SHE IS IN FACT HUGE THOUGH AND GETTING BIGGER AND BIGGER. SHE HAS NO MILK BAG OR ANYTHING BUT SHE DOES HAVE THE MILK VIENS THAT GO DOWN BOTH SIDES. I'M CONFUSED. HER TEMPERMENT HAS CHANGED ALOT. SHE WANTS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME AT ALL, AND SHES NEVER BEEN LIKE THAT BEFORE.
DOES THIS LOOK LIKE A HAY BELLY TO YOU ALL OR DO YOU THINK SHE LOOKS PREGNANT BY THE WAY SHES CARRYING HER BELLY?
SHES GOING IN A STALL TONIGHT TO MONITOR HER.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm148/luv4mastiffs567/spirit034.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm148/luv4mastiffs567/spirit049.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm148/luv4mastiffs567/spirit035.jpg

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 658
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you keep her wormed? The rest of her looks pretty thin, I'm gonna have to go with prego....

susan lewis
Yearling

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH YEAH SHES WORMED EVERY 6 WEEKS. I THINK SHE LOOKS THIN TO ME EVERYWHERE ELSE ALSO. I CANT GET HER TO GAIN WIEGHT ANYWHERE ELSE. I'VE TRIED SUPPLEMENTS, GRAIN AND ALFALFA. YOU CAN SEE HER RIBS SOMETIMES AND YOU CAN FEEL HER BACK BONE. TODAY SHES BEEN RUBBING HER BUTT ON EVERYTHING BUT SHE DONT HAVE A BAG AT ALL. I'M WORRIED ABOUT HER.

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi Susan, I am not an expert and I understand it is very difficult to tell a pregnancy by looks, but because she is so thin I would bet on preg.

susan lewis
Yearling

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HERES AN UPDATED PIC OF SPIRIT TAKEN TONIGHT. SHES LOOKS TO ME LIKE SHES GETTING BIGGER EVERYDAY.
DO HAY BELLY HORSES GET FAT ALL OVER? OR JUST THERE BELLY.
I'M WATCHING HER PRETTY CLOSE BUT SHE DOES NOT WANT ME AROUND FOR SOME REASON.
I'LL KEEP EVERYONE POSTED.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm148/luv4mastiffs567/horses005.jpg

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 664
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, she sure looks prego to me

Annie
Weanling
Username: Annabelle_lee

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think she could be prego, but a picture from behind would be good, its one of the easier ways to tell. From what you're saying about it being hard for her to gain weight I'd say probably prego. Why don't you have a vet check her.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say shes carring a filly Id definately watch her close from now on. Try a product called calf manna (its not for cows)also any left over grease you have from cooking including bacon grease pour a little on her feed and put some on her feet it will fatten her up and make her coat shine.
Calf manna is 20$ for a 50lb bag but you only feed about 1/2 cup so its really not that expensive.

susan lewis
Yearling

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YEAH I'VE BEEN FEEDING CALF MANNA ON HER FOR ABOUT 3 WEEKS NOW. I'VE BEEN WATCHING HER CLOSE. ON THE 24TH SHE STARTED TO BAG UP AND THEN THE NEXT DAY IT WENT AWAY AND HASN'T BEEN BACK. HER UDDERS ARE STILL BIGGER THEN A COUPLE MONTHS AGO. EITHER WAY WERE ALL WATCHING HER LIKE A HAWK AND WILL LET EVERYONE KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i see you live in MO I live in arkansas and if youve had near the heat we have had its had to put weight on one right now as they just sweat it out. As it cools she'll prob start to pick up again I'd just make sure she doesnt fall off anymore. Mares will go through changes throughout a preg one minute they are in your pocket the next you cant hardly catch her and back again. I think she has a little ways to go yet but definately preggers.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 619
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni: Hehehe..just FYI...Calf Manna is a product that is also used with calves. We use it for our pregnant cows and calves, as well as, the horses.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it used for about every animal under the sun but bc of its name many asume its just for cows. guess i should have said its not just for cows.

susan lewis
Yearling

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WELL HERES THE UPDATE. SPIRIT IS ONLY 120 DAYS PREGNANT. LOL I THOUGHT FOR SURE SHE WAS FURTHER ALONG. HER BELLY WAS A RESULT OF EATING TO MUCH HAY. ITS NOT AS BIG ANYMORE SINCE I ONLY FEED PASTURE NOW AND SOME HAY AT NIGHT. SHE HAS PUT ON WIEGHT AND IS LOOKING SOO MUCH BETTER. HER BELLY WAS SOOO BIG BEFORE IT WAS PULLING HER DOWN. SO I'M WAITING ON A MARCH BABY... I'VE GOT ONE MARE THAT WAS BRED IN MAY AND HAS STILL NOT COME INTO HEAT SO I'M ASSUMING SHES BRED AND DUE APRIL 12TH. THE STUD IS WITH THEM AND HAS NOT GIVEN ME NO INDICATION OF ANOTHER HEAT SO I'M PRETTY SURE SHE'S BRED. ANYWAY JUST WANTED TO LET EVERYONE KNOW...

OH WITH THE CALF MANNA THATS SOME VERY GOOD STUFF. I FEED IT TO MY CHICKENS AS WELL AS MY HORSES. THE HORSES AND I JUST LOVE THE SMELL OF IT...

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US