SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Bagging up when not pregnant?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Bagging up when not pregnant? « Previous Next »

Tabitha Caraway
Neonate
Username: Tabbicat

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all! I have a 6yo QH mare who started bagging up almost two weeks ago even though she does not look pregnant. When I got her last year around August 15th, she was pastured with a 2yo stud, so the timing is about right if she were pregnant. However, my neighbor who has about forty years experience running a midsize breeding farm, palpated her today and said she's not pregnant. He could not get his arm in much past the elbow because she is a small mare, but he did not think she is in foal. He thinks that maybe her bagging up is related to her heat cycle.

I thought I had seen her teasing my gelding several times earlier this year, so I was quite surprised to see her teats were swelling. I have been able to easily milk either teat for days now, and the liquid that comes out is a clear yellow, a little sticky. The udders are not warm to the touch, but they do seem a little tender.

Has anyone heard of a mare bagging up when she comes in heat? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance for any replies.

bonnie scott
Nursing Foal
Username: Late4thesky

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 01:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You haven't noticed her in heat for the year you've owned her ?

My 13 yr old mare always has somewhat of a bag.
Not to demean(sp?)your friend but maybe you should have a vet palpate her.

Tabitha Caraway
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 02:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She has acted like she was in heat. We were pretty sure was in foal in November. She had been about a 2-3 on the Henneke scale when we got her, and she just looked pregnant. Then when she never got any bigger belly and seemed to be coming in heat, we thought she had lost the foal, which was good. Now I'm wondering if she had actually been showing submissive behavior (although I never thought striking and squealing at a pasture mate was submissive), or what else could be making her bag up. She really does not look pregnant though. If I'm standing 2-3 feet behind her, I can't see her belly. But she does not have a low belly from the side either.

Tabitha Caraway
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted some pics of Vanilla from the past few days. While she does have a little belly, please bear in mind she has been on just pasture with free choice minerals and regular worming. I've only fed her a pound of Horse Chow or less occasionally as a treat after working with her.

I took a rope and halter out in the pasture to catch her and try expressing her teats on the Fourth. I could easily get a clear yellow fluid out, So I brought her up to the house and took some pics. At that time I could not see her teats just standing off to the side of her though as seen in this pic:
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o470/tabbicatc/Picture191.jpg
Apparently, I did not take any closeup pictures of her bags on the 4th, but I did on the 7th:
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o470/tabbicatc/Picture204.jpg
Since the afternoon of the 7th, her bag has been easily visible standing off to her side, even when I'm standing on my front steps which puts me quite a bit higher than her. Most of the pictures I took this morning got washed out by the sun and shadows but here a few half-way decent ones:
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o470/tabbicatc/Picture225.jpg
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o470/tabbicatc/Picture216.jpg
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o470/tabbicatc/Picture220.jpg
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o470/tabbicatc/Picture223.jpg
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o470/tabbicatc/Picture222.jpg

I still think she looks like she just has a grass belly, and now I see where someone else has posted about mares bagging up in the spring and summer. I've never seen that before. What causes it, and how long does it last? This is a maiden mare. Can they bag up without being pregnant also?
Thanks for any replies.

Angela Barbour
Breeding Stock
Username: Palominomare2006

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the same thing going on right now I would love to find out as well. My mare looks like yours first couple pictures

Michelle Bee
Breeding Stock
Username: Michellej

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tabitha, if you purchased a mare who had been running with a stud, your question would be 'Why WOULDN'T she be in foal'!!
Her udder certainly seems to confirm it. Some advice from your vet regarding nutrition and her vacinations would be timely. Best of luck for a safe foaling and healthy new addition.

Kathryn A. Kuykendoll
Neonate
Username: Kathyk

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All, I have been dealing with this for three years. My 13yr old mare had a foal in 2005. Ever since the weaning dry up, she bags up every time she comes in season. (No possibility of pregnancy!) I haven't been able to find any good info about possible why's. The vet says it's probably a hormone thing, but as long as it doesn't bother her, there is no need to start messing with her hormones. Any info would be nice.

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say shes pregnant. My QH mare (Lady) is pregnant and looks almost identical to your mare. Mares can have heats during pregnancy, Lady has had one faithfully every month with her 1st pregnancy and with her current one (2nd foal) Her baby could be "hiding" it is very possible the the foal is up near her rib cage instead of far enough back to palpate, Again going back to Lady, 2 different vet told me she wasnt in foal last year and then boom there was a foal on the ultrasound and then come march 27th,08 there was her little stud colt.. You never know, I have a 25 year old mare that was exposed every year for 6 years before I got her and she had never taken she was kept with a 2 year old POA stud (around 12hh and she is nearly 17hh) so i didnt think she was in foal but she is getting a bag also.. Not to mention she is underweight... (she is a resuce horse)

Mary Greer
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I forgot to add if there is a mare that has had a foal and she senses any other mare within like 5-10 miles of her being pregnant that can cause her to bag up. It is a security thing with a mare that loves raising babies to ensure any foals will have a good source of milk, sometimes an open mare will do this as a "just in case" thing

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 303
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mare had a foal last year (he is over a yr now) and she has been bagging up for the last 4 months, my vet also said she was open and that it was a hormonal thing, and there are pregnant mares all over the place. That is so interesting Mary, do you have more info on that?

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 591
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare does the same thing. Last year, another mare foaled on the property and she bagged the next day. For about a week she stood at the fence all day just looking at the new baby. Some mares just want to be mommas.

Lynn Bellus
Yearling
Username: Lorilynfarms

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mares lower on the totem pole can bag up if another mare is preggie, because that was a way in the wild to ensure the alpha mare's foal would always have milk, should something happen to her.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US