SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Another cycle question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Another cycle question « Previous Next »

Tammy Snell
Nursing Foal
Username: Sloan

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it possible for a mare to come into heat 7 days after prostaglandin shot, or is there only that 3-5 day window???? Aaaarrrrrgh this is getting frustrating!!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2061
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a look at the article on this website about prostaglandin use. It should answer your question, and raise a few more! :-)

On top of that remember that not all mares will "show" to a stallion on the first day of estrus (or at all in some cases!!!) so mare behaviour variability is another factor to be considered...

Tammy Snell
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soooooo I get a yes, but there are other factors that could prevent her from cycling, and an U/S prior would have been my best bet. She was at least 7+ days after her last ovulation before the shot was given. It all seems to me that there is so much that can be done to get a mare pregnant but for all that can be done, there is always something that can be undone, does that make sense! Kinda like shooting in the dark!!!!!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2063
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the world of horse breeding... :-)

FWIW, it becomes beneficial to evaluate the value of the breeding, and decide how much to spend. If it's going to be an expensive breeding (or very desirable) then the more diagnostic work you do, the better off you will typically be. OTOH, if you're breeding to your own stallion, live cover, and are not too concerned about getting the mare pregnant, then (obviously) spending a lot in diagnostics isn't worth it.

The more you know - on a number of levels - the better off you always are though...

Tammy Snell
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes very true Jos! I have already decided that this will be the last try. I have been trying for the last 3 yrs on and off to create the offspring I want by this certain stallion and the SO had been MORE than patient with all of this. I figured when I first tried about 3 yrs ago and had horrible luck then I would wait and try again, this time finding an experienced mare, now Iam encountering a whole new set of problems and wondering if the mare owner has been truthful with me. Oh well maybe some things just aren't meant to be.

Thanks again for all the great info, and oh yah the vet is coming this am for an U/S to see where the mare is in her cycle, ho hum...

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck this time around Tammy, I would send you super preggo vibes, but I'm going through the same thing myself and don't want to jinx you.

But I do wish you luck with your mare, I hope and pray she gets pregnant for you. Is there some sort of furtility god statue we can put in the stall for good luck? lol!!!

Tammy Snell
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL thats funny Marilyn, I just had a vision of a statue hanging on the stall!!

Well vet just left and we have a 25mm follicle, and he was able to flush, sooooo hopefully we are looking at tuesday if not sooner to breed, he is thinking of coming back on sun to U/S just in case, he doesnt want to loose this one, at this point I think he is more determined than me, he has been my vet for more than 30 yrs and he still feels responsible for the loss of the last pregnancy, (it was a twin thing, different mare)

Soooooo I guess for the frist time Iam going to ask for some fertility jingles, Iam also sending some spare ones your way Marilyn! Actually maybe I should just ask the hubby to have another talk with her, when he got home last night I told him that I think Sloan is in season and his reply was, "I know I had a long talk with her this am when I was turning her out" I just laughed and he said "No, Iam serious" He seems to have a strong bond with most mares!!

Jingle, Jingle, Jingle

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever it takes Tammy. I would strip off my clothers and stand on my head butt naked, if it would get my mares preggo. But only if I was the only one in the room. lol... Gravity is not my friend. lol

Tammy Snell
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!! Amazing how that happens! gravity that is!!!

Tammy Snell
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well yesterday we had a 36mm follicle so Iam currently awaiting the semen, mare will be inseminated today, probably the last try.

Soooooo if anyone has any spare jingles please send some my way!!!

Marilyn how goes it for you?

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tammy~Doing the Fertility Dance in Sunny So. CA for you!

Tammy Snell
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Follicle was definitly beginning to ovulate as we inseminated! this time we are coming at this after being flushed and stitched, so HOPEFULLY 18 days and there will be a wee one growing!

Jiiiiiiiiingle, Jiiiiiiiiiiingle, Jingle!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good timing Tammy. Good luck with the pregnancy. I pray she takes for you!!!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I forgot, I find out tomorrow about my two girls.

Tammy Snell
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

arrrrrrgh I wouldnt be getting any sleep tonite if I were you Marilyn! Will be praying they took.

Marilyn what are your mares and who did you breed them to?

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One is a TB the other is a Holsteiner. The TB is 9 years old that had 3 foals previously and the Holsteiner is 4 year old maiden mare.

They're both bred to a Holstein warmblood stallion. The same stallion Dora is bred to.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinda cool, I just found out that so far the stallion produced 9 foals in the US so far (he's from Germany) anyway 7 of the 9 foals were premium at the approvals and 2 of them were 2 points each away from being premium. Cool hey!

So I'm very curious to see what Dora's foal will be like. She has some faults I hope the stallion can help correct on the foal. I guess we'll soon see if we did a good match for Dora.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn~ I am not getting much work done...well????????

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 300
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
I'm waiting what's the verdict????

LB

Tammy Snell
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Marilyn whats up with the girls

Kim Peavy/Blk&White Pinto Colt 6/16
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 257
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi guys, see the 2009 pregnant mare thread...neither are pregnant...very very disappointing for Marilyn.....I'm sure she is trying to deal with this right now....she needs all our hugs and prayers right now

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 303
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HUGE HUGS BEING SENT!!!!!!!!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US