SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Got a weird situation

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Got a weird situation « Previous Next »

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dora, my mare, has a weird thing she does when I hose her off at her back end.

While I'm attempting to spray water at her back end, when it hits the vulva area she immediately squats and looks like she's going to pee but doesn't. The water is lukewarm, not cold, and she does it so fast, it's kinda scary. One time I sprayed a little longer and it almost seemed like she was about to fall over. She does this weither she's pregnant or not. The spray is light and a few times I've tried to spray the top of the tail dock and let it run down and she'll still do this.

It scared me so much I stopped spraying her back end. Anyone else have this happen? I'm really perplexed. When she has her caslicks removed next week, I'm going to have to spray her and that's not going to be good if she continues to do this.

Has anyone experienced this before? I guess I could try a pail of water and cotton, but I'm just curious why she does this weird thing.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 372
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, over the years I have had several mares do this, show mares when bathing them, etc. Maybe the water is lukewarm to you but it may still seem cold to her in her privates. You know geldings and stallions will draw up their "stuff" when you are bathing them sometimes, maybe this is the "female version" of that reaction.

I've never known it to harm anything, she probably just doesn't like having water back there.

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My stallion does that! I think it's pretty common :-)

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So if I use warmer water and spray there, even if she squats, keep spraying there? Will she eventually stop the squating thing? It seems like she's going to lose the baby right there. lol

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 499
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: Hahaha! You may have just discovered a way to get through foal watch quickly. Just hose that baby out of there when its time! LOL!

I had a gelding who used to do that as well (like Tracy said...boys do it too...haha!).

One of my current mares (and I won't say her name as to protect her identity..hehehe) likes water sprayed back there so much that she will straddle, raise her tail up, and act like she's in breeding mode...she's just a little lush!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, lol, she is a hussy! I would think it would feel good when it's so darn hot out!

Okay, the plan is spray her back end when I'm sick and tired of waiting. lol

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 503
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn: LOL! Yes, we call her our floozy! She's my weirdest mare of all time...we didn't think she took on her first breeding because she continued for a month and a half to let my stallion breed her. Took her into the vet to find out why she wasn't sticking only to find out that she was a month and a half pregnant. I stay out of bars where women like that congregate...now I feed one! Hahaha!

I think that's a plan! Hey...maybe she'll do that whole sitting thing when her water breaks too...that would be a great foaling sign! Hahaha!

Bonny
Breeding Stock
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, Shy also does this. She tucks her tail and squats. although I never felt she would fall over. I use an old baby wash cloth to wash the area. Then I use a gentle flow of water and run it not spray it on her back side.

One funny thing Shy does is she sways back and forth sideways when I wash her udders.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I guess lots of us have mares that squat when hosed with water. I never ever knew that about mares and geldings for that matter. I've never had a horse that did that before. Live and learn...

Bonny, I'm going to try and do as you do when you wash your mare's behind. But I'm going to do it tomorrow or the next day. I'm dog gone tired tonight.

Take care all and thanks for all the great info and insight.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US