SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Colic surgery required for pregnant mare with foal at side

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Colic surgery required for pregnant mare with foal at side « Previous Next »

Terry Waechter maravilla and her posse
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sunday morning Deb found Europa in the field in a dripping sweat. The mare was obviously in pain, wanted to roll and did go down a couple of times. Deb called me (I was at my son's house celebrating Father's Day) and i asked her to take Europa to the vet hospital immediately which she did. Europa did not respond to medications to relieve her pain, and a stomach tap was done. All indications lead to the recommendation for surgery and i agreed.

Once the vets were inside, they found an unusual situation. There is a part of the body called the mesentery. It acts as a support for the intestines. There was a hole the size of a cantaloupe in Europa's and the small intestine had fallen through the hole. The vets untangled the twisted small intestine and found it regained pink color and mobility, repaired the hole, and sewed the incision up.

Today is 48 hours post surgery and Europa is in intensive care. The primary dangers are infection, adhesions, the possibility of dead tissue. The good news is they did not have to cut the intestines at all, and as of this evening Europa seems more alert and stable. Imagine all this with a 2 month old colt at side and that is what we have going on. It is in the nineties today and fly season is here!! The colt seems to be doing well...thank God for the P.R.E. good nature and intelligence. The biggest problem with him is he thinks the I.V. lines are play things.

If she does okay through the rest of the week, we are looking at a 2 month recuperation....one month in a stall, and one month in a small pen. I am actually more worried about how the colt is going to do. What a scary time it has been.

The vets think the tear may have occurred when Europa foaled. In a couple of days I will find out if she has lost her pregnancy.
Lots of things to think about. it is incredible how everything is changed in a heart beat.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my God, Terry. I am so, so sorry to hear this. Healing vibes are going Europa's way. Such a beautiful mare, she just simply took my breath away. I think though you have done a good thing with being able to have the foals away from their mom's for a bit, that will help the colt be able to get out and stretch his legs. Please keep us updated.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's terrible news Terry. You made the right decision in getting Europa in the hospital asap. I'm glad the surgery went as well as it did. I pray she's still pregnant, but I think right now the mare is the main concern as you already know. I will keep her in my prayers that she recovers quickly.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 290
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry,
Sending healthy and speedy recovery vibes...

L

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 732
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so sorry. :-( I hope she has a full recovery!!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW Terry,
What a terrible thing to have to go through. Prayers for a full recovery and no side affects for Europa and that minimal disruption for her colt. At least he was 2 months old and thank heavens you have a herd of foals for him to get some turn out time with. Keep us posted on her recovery and Perhaps a miracle will happen and she will remain pregnant....Hugs, Jan

Bonny
Breeding Stock
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear about this,hope all is well with your mare !

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 297
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So far so good...there are two other horses that had colic surgery over the weekend in adjacent stalls and Europa is by far coming out of it the best....she is young and strong which helps.

She is more grouchy by the minute and it pains her to watch the colt eat when she can't have anything.

She seemed to know me and wanted a small scratch on her head.

I am going to send her to a nearby farm for the first two weeks of recovery. They have a large stall with a run so the colt can by let out for supervised exercise. I don't have a good spot for a situation like this at the farm.

Then a very dear friend has offered to care for her and Rhett until they can come back to the farm and live in a paddock.
He has large cool stalls and a full time guy to take care of the horses. Also a video camera for night time supervision. What a blessing in a time of need.

I will know in a couple of days about the pregnancy although that is of small concern now.

This event has large financial implications...the surgery and care will be over $10000., the in utero foal was sold, and if I lose Europe or her capacity as a broodmare that is huge to the business.

Aside from all that, I raised her from a yearling and it hurts to see her suffer...it takes the heart out of this business to think of losing her.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, I'm sure you won't lose her, like you said, she's young and strong. But I'm such a worrier, that I would be upset too.

I guess if you consider what it would have cost finacially and emotionally if she didn't make it, the $10,000.00 is acceptable. But it's still a great deal of money!!!

I pray she will not lose her pregnancy. Please keep us posted Terry.

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prayers your way Terry! I'm glad someone was there to find her before it was too late, poor girl :-(

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 300
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much for support and prayers...I am so bummed and worried about this...

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 679
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry,
I'm aweful sorry about your situation and by gosh am pulling for your mare.
It was not so long ago I was in your shoes. 11 days post foaling, my mare colicked and required surgery.
Unfortunately, 2 weeks later (for unknown reasons), she did it again...and the best of veterinary medicine/surgical intervention and money couldn't save her.
I lost the best broodmare I'd ever had, and my best friend. Then, left with a frantic 3 week orphan filly. It was crushing.
Before this, she had never colicked a day in her life.

I am not trying to alarm you, as I know that you already have that going. The best you can do, is what you ARE doing. Prepare for her to be monitored as much as possible, try to keep baby happy, and keep in contact with the vets.
If you think ANYTHING is amiss, don't take no for an answer.
Please keep us posted on how is going, and my thoughts are with you.
Heather
[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f298/HeatherCK11/Grace/IMG_1360-2.jpg[/IMG]

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather~Just want to express my sympathy to you on the loss of your great mare. I followed the posts and my heart broke with your loss. How is the little filly doing today? I have thought of her often. If you have pictures we would love to see them. And how is sweet Buddy doing?

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry how's Europe doing? I've been thinking about her often. Have you pregnancy checked her yet?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 301
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EUROPA iS STILL AT THE VET HOSPITAL IN ICU

Since the surgery she has spiked a fever twice and twice it was brought down with Bamamine. She is able to pass manure and urine. Today she will get a handful of Equine Sr and be watched for pain. If that goes well, tomorrow a little hay.

Rhett continues to do well, eating, pooping, nursing etc. He is thriving on all the personal attention and I am sure glad we took the time this year to halter break, creep feed, and handle our foals. It is crucial now in this situation.

Tomorrow they are going to do an u/s but honestly after all this, I am prepared for any answer I get.

Here is Europa on a better day....she cannot be replaced...

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/VP5M7223-01.jpg[/IMG]

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like Europa still needs tender loving care. I hope she gets to her normal self very soon, I worry about her and about you too. I know how worries can wear a person out. Try and keep a positive attitude, she sounds like a mare that is tough and fights hard. Those spanish horses are very strong, so she has that going for her. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers Terry.

Please keep us updated. Hey, for some reason I can't pull up the photo. In fact, I'm having problems pulling up quite a few photos on here. I wonder why... hmmmm...

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 245
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, I knew a mare that had colic surgery at about 65 days pregnant, she delivered a healthy foal. A bit small maybe, but other than that everything was totally fine :-)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry~Major Prayers for your beloved Europa at this time....May she eat and be well...Hugs...take care of yourself as well.

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, my thoughts are with you. Stay strong, there are many people pulling for your mare.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 302
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This afternoon i went over to see Europa as the vet had called in the morning to say she wouldn't eat and I thought maybe I could coax a few mouthfuls into her....and I was right, she gobbled down a couple of handfuls of hayl

All day her fever has persisted, spiking as high as 105 degrees....it is controlled with Bamamine....and the vets say as long as this is true we will continue on with this protocol.

The blood tests say there is no infection and it must be a virus.

Continuing to hope for the best while fearing the worst.

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 460
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry,my thoughts and prayers are with you and your mare,Iam sure she feels better when she see's you,take care!!!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope there's a marked improvement this morning Terry. I pray she'll be eating better today. Please post and let us know how she's doing.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry how is Europa today? Thinking of her and sending up prayers.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 493
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry: I am so sorry. I'm afraid I didn't notice this topic or your situation. Bless your heart. You, Europa and Rhett are in my constant thoughts. Wow, did the vet give you any clue as to how symptoms or signs of this start? I'm just curious. Since our foals were born close to the same time it makes me think a little of my own questions. I'm a bit concerned as Echo returned to her normal, unpregnant condition and looks great. Blossom still has that big, saggy belly that still makes her look like she could have another foal any day now. I was just looking at her the other day and questioning if there was some type of abdominal tear that was creating this "still pregnant effect". I guess there are just too many internal things that are not obvious to the eye that we could never know about until this type of sudden reaction that you got, lets us know there's a problem. You had a fairly normal foaling if I remember correctly. What causes these things is just baffling. Keep us all posted. It sounds like your girl is in great hands and you have some really amazing friends who are offering up their help.

Laurel
Weanling
Username: Laurel

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, I had a mare that had a 360 degree tortion colic when she was 3.5 months pregnant. She had a tough recovery, but still saved the baby, a filly. She has since had one more colt, and is my main just for fun riding horse. Best of luck with her recovery.

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, I just read an article in Equus today that immediately made me think of you. It was about colic surgeries and how Banamine although needed can damage the intestine as it's healing BUT if you add Lidocaine to the IV it helps prevent damage and increases the chance of correct healing. I'm sure you're getting the best of care but maybe ask about this? At this point anything is worth trying.

My thoughts continue to be with you and keep us posted.

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, I am so sorry.. I am glad you have good helping friends. Sending recovery thoughts your way..

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 304
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they are using lidocaine with the bamamine....

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 305
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Banamine

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 306
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today Europa had her IV removed...yeah....she has improved a lot and is out of the first level of danger.,,.,now we go until the stitches are out before real rehabilitation begins.

Thanks for everything everyone....Europa and Rhett seem to be doing well.

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay Terry! Some good news! I'll continue sending my prayers your way. :-)

Kathi Cook
Neonate
Username: Nanacook

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 06:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry,
Glad to here Europa is doing well. My thoughts and prayrs are with you for a fast recovery.
Kathi C.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YEA!! Terry, this made my Sunday morning! I'm so happy she's doing better. I know she has some time to go to get completely out of the woods, but it sounds like she's on the right path.

Did the vet decide to check for pregnancy? I know he wanted to wait a couple of days and that's been a while, I was wondering if he checked yet.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 307
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GUESS WHAT??? Europa is still pregnant and we got a heartbeat this morning. I couldn't be happier and we have 10 months to get her back in shape to foal...We are blessed. Terry

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 468
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CONGRATS TERRY,IAM VERY HAPPY FOR YOU!!

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 742
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, that is wonderful!!!!!!

Anney Daugherty
Nursing Foal
Username: Winsmorefarm

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 05:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, I just read through all of this (wiping tears off of my screen), everything that you, your beautiful mare Europa and little Rhet have been through - I am so relieved that Europa is doing better and will add my prayers to everyone else's that she will continue to recover.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See, she is a toughie and so is the baby inside her! That foal should have a very special name. :-)Congratulations, that's wonderful news!!!!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YIPEE!! Terry! Excellent News! So happy for you!

I will continue to pray for her to heal completely.

Rejoice in the moment!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 308
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regalo del dios.....gift from God....a name to remember...

thanks for all the support...it meant the world....

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, I love it!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfect Name...if it is a filly do you feminize Regalo to Regala? :-) Because personally a little fighter like that will probably be female!

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 371
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry that is wonderful news about your mare and her baby, and baby to-be.

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful news Terry! I must be extra hormonal because I started crying as soon as I read you got a heartbeat! I'm so happy for you.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 498
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry: I am soooo happy for you. My friend's mare did the same thing several years back (with the foal after my Blossom was born). She was in great hands as well, recovered from surgery well, baby and mom pulled through great, and she went on to foal a healthy little colt the next year! Thank goodness for great doctors, great friends, and all the blessings from above! I wish you continual success in Europa's recovery!

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah! Congrats Terry!

I also knew somebody who had a mare have colic surgery while pregnant, had a super cute, healthy colt (though small) the next year.

Good luck!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 309
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks to all...now just the usual long wait....Terry

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US