SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Hauling mare IN foal

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Hauling mare IN foal « Previous Next »

bonnie scott
Nursing Foal
Username: Late4thesky

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

would it be safe to haul a mare 2 months pregnant? It's quite a long drive a full day or she may overnight it somewhere. I heard after three months was the best time

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 356
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bonnie,
Its probably going to be okay as long as precautions are taken regarding the heat.

This subject caught my eye because I am having two mares shipped back to me today (to South Carolina) out of nothwestern Kentucky.
Both mares have had two ultrasounds each (one at 14 days and the follow-up at 26 days to detect heartbeat), so we have a viable pregnancy(s). As of today Mare #2 is 45 days and Mare #2 is 38 days pregnant.

I think at this point, its pretty safe.

Just be cautious of the heat this time of year (this applies to any horse really). The shipper is picking my mares up this evening about 6 pm and will haul at night so it is cooler. They will have a 9-10 hour trip and he stops about every 2-3 hours to let them relax and offer them water and refill hay bags.

I don't think you will have any more problems or worries at 2 months versus 3 months.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1720
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catherine! Congrats on both mares settled! Very exciting...now do they have to be shipped back to Kentucky to foal out for the foals to be eligible for the Sweepstakes?

bonnie scott
Nursing Foal
Username: Late4thesky

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos could I get your opinion on this too

Thanks

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 357
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jan!

Thanks for the Congrats. We got them both settled and believe it or not the "problem mare" had the fewest problems --- go figure!

Yes, they are both coming back home today and then we will ship them back around the middle of March next year to foal out around the first of April, their due dates are April 6 and April 13, 2009 so they are just a week apart.

The babies have to be foaled out in Kentucky to be eligible for the AQHA Kentucky Incentive Fund.

I have a habit now of just sending mares to a breeding farm to foal anyway. They know exactly what they are doing and have the colustrum banks/24-hr. vet, etc. And I am the worst "nurse" at foaling you have ever seen! I tend to get TOO attentive and TOO excited and, well, just TOO MUCH of everthing.
It works out better for all concerned if I send them off (and I "drink" less too :-)

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 289
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hauled mares 8 hrs home at 14-16 days preg. for many years without a problem and the OK from my vet. I also rode until I was 8 months preg. with my Drs. blessing.
I think in this sue happy time everyone is trying to cover their behind when it comes to some of these thiings.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catherine, That is great news and so GREAT that the mares are due so close as to the hauling issues....you get to enjoy your mares while they are being all lovey dovey and preggers :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US