SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Twin US Question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Twin US Question « Previous Next »

Bonny
Breeding Stock
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been a bit concerned that my mare is showing her pregnancy at 100 days. So I have pictures into my vet and waiting for his reply. In the meantime I called a good equine hospital, that is almost 2 hours from us to ask for an opinion. I was told that at 100 plus days they wouldnt be able to tell by US if my mare was twinning or not. She said that everything would look like a blob.
So I asked if high levels of estrogen sulfate may detect twins. She will be calling me back after she talks to the vet.

So once again I turn to yall. Has anyone ever had twins detected after 100 days?I understand the twinning issues and hopefully my mare is not twinning. But If she is I need to know.By the way this is her second pregnancy. The grass in the picture she gets 15-30 mins on once a day.

Her in January:
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/4793ShyAnne/donkey023-2-1.jpg
Day 100:
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/4793ShyAnne/5-25-08021.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/4793ShyAnne/5-25-08022.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/4793ShyAnne/5-25-08027.jpg

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with any potential pregnancy detection at this stage (from as early as 65 through to about 150 days) is that the weigh of the pregnancy can cause the fetus itself to drop over the pelvic brim into the abdominal cavity, and out of reach of the ultrasonographer. If it wasn't for that, it shouldn't be a problem for an experienced ultrasonographer to identify a pregnancy or possibly two pregnancies, as there should be a very visible heart beat, as well as other easily identifiable structures (head, thorax showing ribs etc.) - but, as I say, the issue at this stage is actually reaching the darn thing[s].

Estrogen levels will only identify pregnant vs. non-pregnant, not twin presence.

FWIW, the fetus at this stage (~100 days) is only about the size of a rat, so it is not going to cause a significant increase in diameter of the mare.

Bonny
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos what about an external US at this stage?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1963
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are lucky and have a good ultrasound and ultrasonographer, and a small mare, then it might be a possibility, but consider that there is a lot of tissue between the ultrasound probe and the fetus...

Bonny
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you. Would it be a bit easier to do an external later as the foal(s) grow?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very much the same issues will apply. Talk to your vet who has the equipment, and see what they recommend.

Bonny
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you very much.

Basically they said that I am between a rock and a hard place. And that I should continue to feed her good quality feed, I am, and that about 3 months from due date to start increasing her feed amount.

They also said that the fat content is more important than the protein levels? What do you recommend? right now she is on a 12%-8 fat. She is a hard keeper. I was thinking that a 14% protein would be a good option for late gestation.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A balanced diet is recommended throughout pregnancy. We have had good results using Progressive Feeds, and they have an article about feeding the pregnant mare if you follow that link.

Bonny
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally agree. I have always felt that a good diet is essential, for every horse, not just pregnant mares.
Thanks again, thats a great article.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US