SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Timing of ovulation in draft mares

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Timing of ovulation in draft mares « Previous Next »

N. Osterhoudt
Neonate
Username: Nano

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 03:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have been having trouble so far this season - our Shire mares are not responding to hCG. We're ordering semen when the mares are 35-40mm + signs of estrus. We give the injection once we know we'll have a shipment - so for sure at 35, usually 40+. Both of our mares ovulated well past 48 hours post-injection.

We're planning to switch to Deslorelin. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Nan

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 447
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Nan, Our mares were never very responsive to HCG either, but I think we were giving it to them on too small a follicle. I would say that 35-40 mm may be a bit small for a Shire. Our gray mare usually popped at 55 to 60 mm on her own. Perhaps wait a day longer to ship?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1961
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much hCG are you giving?

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hCG can "stop working" after so much use, or so I have been told.

N. Osterhoudt
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do know our bigger mare had ovulated at 65 on her own - one cycle when we tracked her. She will grow 10mm in a day occassionally - it's just so variable. We order the day after ultrasounding, so we inseminate around 48 hours after the ultrasound. As long as we know the shipment is coming, we give her hCG the night before we inseminate.

I believe we are giving 2cc of hCG (I'm not hands-on involved during the week right now, so I could be wrong). One mare is 1850 lbs, the other is about 1600 lbs.

He's been refrigerating after mixing up a batch. Does it need to be frozen?

Thanks!
Nan

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1965
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You cannot determine dosage by volume (i.e. "cc"). You have to determine it by "international units" (i.u.). The product - as you are aware - comes packaged as a dried powder and must be reconstituted. Obviously the amount of the diluent and the number of i.u.'s of the original package will determine the final number/concentration/volume that is given.

I'm asking this as the usual dosage is anywhere between 1,500 and 3,300 i.u. - and that amount would be adequate for your horses, despite their size (you can go to the upper end if you wish). In fact, as low as 750 i.u. has been shown to work well in 1,000-1,500 lb mares. The significance is that overdosing - 5,000 i.u and up - may suppress ovulation!

Re: storage: Refrigeration of the remaining unused volume for up to a month has been suggested as OK, although we prefer to refrigerate for up to a week, and freeze if we are going to store it longer. We recommend storing it no longer than 1 breeding season (i.e. use in the same breeding season). You can freeze it in a syringe, dosaged ready for use, and thaw it out in your hand (not in the microwave! :-) ).

I should add that although there have been reports of repeated use reducing efficacy, newer research suggests that use in up to 3 cycles in the same mare in the same breeding season is unlikely to reduce efficacy, although of course there will always be exceptions to the rule who will become refractory after a single treatment. Success of use in the next breeding season should not be affected.

N. Osterhoudt
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 02:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos. I'll double-check the details. . .

N. Osterhoudt
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vet administered 3500-3750 iu's. Would that be enough to overdose?

We'll preg check the girls Friday - hopefully that will be it for the year. One of the mares ovulated as we expected this insemination (2 weeks ago) - the other took a bit longer than we anticipated. Luckily our older mare didn't seem to pool any fluid this time - she's gotten a bad case of p-b endometritis in the past. We used your oxytocin/cloprostenol recommendations and didn't even need to flush :-)

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2018
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is generally considered that >=5,000 i.u. in a 1,000-1,500 lb horse is the "overdose" threshold.

N. Osterhoudt
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, that shouldn't be the problem then. One of the mares is pregnant, the other is not (the problem mare). Hopefully things will go better this time - we're also using a different vet this time (due to availability) so maybe she will have a different approach.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US