SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Breeding-First for me but not them!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Breeding-First for me but not them! « Previous Next »

Mary Greer
Yearling
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok I decided to go ahead and breed Lady back this year to a stud that I have leased.. I went and got the shot to put her in heat that way the baby wouldnt arrive in the heat of the year.. Well anywho she started coming in 2 days after the shot was given and we bred her on May 16 and now we are only on day 3 of breeding but she has started acting like she is going out of heat.. This was only about an hour ago (Aprox. 10am).. Our breeding scedual for her was 1 time on the first day 2 X on day two and was supposed to be 2 X until she went out. With her acting like this does it mean that she took this soon or ? This is my first breeding season as a stallion owner and Im LOST! Thank you for reading!

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all WHY ARE YOU BREEDING HER TWICE A DAY???? the semen lives for 48 hours or so --you should only cover her every other day until she is out of heat.
My mare that I bred with my stud last month only needed to be covered twice then she was out of heat
She is just probably out of heat now--

Mary Greer
Yearling

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told to breed them that often by a breeder.... The breeder that I talked to does AI so I didnt know if I should breed like they said. I was also told with the shot to to her in heat she would be more difficult to get in foal.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 323
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of questions here.....

What "shot" did you give her?

Also, I'm with Dorothy on this, twice a day is excessive.
Every breeding farm I have ever used only breeds (AI) every other day.

Are you doing the procedure yourself? Vet?
Are you collecting the stallion twice a day?

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary...a personal experience of mine. The first year I was going to breed my mare I took her to a ranch where the "ranch manager" (used loosely) bred my mare every day till she went out of heat which turned out to be 9 days in a row! Needless to say with my particular mare her virgin reproductive tract did not react kindly to that kind of invasion and she ended up with an infection and clearance issues and an open mare. After regrouping getting in contact with a repo vet the following year we ultrasounded and when she was ready to ovulate covered her once, gave her the shot to make sure she ovulated, then double checked to make sure she ovulated, and she took. With my mare less was better for her reproduction system. Maybe rething and do some more research? This is after all a learning experience for us all :-)

Mary Greer
Yearling

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catherine- I do not remember the shots name We didnt breed her tonight after everyones input.. I am live covering her myself.. All of this was done last year aswell. The girl whom bred her is the one who told me to breed her like this. I feel so bad about all of this..

Jan- WOW thats horrible! I will definately be more careful about breeding. She is a really nice mare and the stud is AMAZING... She had her first foal this year with only 1 problem during the pregnancy (Fescue,she got at the breeders) And the delivery went with no problems.

If she is still in tomorrow we will breed once then give the next day off and then see if she is still in. The stud has always been good about breeding and getting mares in foal.. So I am thinking she may have took..
Here are some pics of Lady(mare),Little John(stud),Lady colt "Prince" and 2 of Johns fillies

Lady::
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/2009%20baby/l_8ba1c1c9fbc483e 19d007b738d22b342.jpg

Little John::
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/2009%20baby/Johnsbutt.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/2009%20baby/05-13-08_1606.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/2009%20baby/05-13-08_1604.jpg

Prince (Ladys first baby)::
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Baby%20Prince/LadysBabyPRINCE 035.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Baby%20Prince/LadysBabyPRINCE 039.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Baby%20Prince/LadysBabyPRINCE 041.jpg

John's fillies::
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/Johnsinsentitvefundfoal2month s.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/JohnsAppyFoal.jpg

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't feel bad if you were doing what you were told to do by someone you felt was a "breeder"
But yes definately do some reading about the breeding process etc..
Very pretty horses

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary~Fingers and Toes crossed that your mare took. I love the look of your mare and I remember when your sweet prince was born! Very handsome stallion I wish you the very best....maybe a filly this time!

Mary Greer
Yearling

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dorthy- I am soooo mad at that girl cause she couldve caused Lady to get ill or die last year or cause me to do damage this year :-( I will definately not recomend her to anyone wanting to breed as that is the way she does all mares. Thank you :-)

Jan- I hope so too. She is a sweet ole girl.. I have changed her plans from a riding horse to a broodmare cause her baby is around 11 hh already and just shy of 2 months old.. Prince was her first and is bulking up like he was her 2nd or 3rd baby. The stallion this year is really nice and has Wimpy,Impressive (HYPP N/N), Two Eyed Jack, Leo, Three Bars, and lots of other famous QH's ... Anywho I will keep everyone posted!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US