SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Best Month To Breed??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Best Month To Breed?? « Previous Next »

Mary Greer
Yearling
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would the best month be to breed a mare? Just looking for opinions....

Terry Waechter maravilla and her posse
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 267
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i like to breed in April thru the first 2 wks of May...the babies come when winter is over, new grass is on its way and then they are weaned before the end of the year national shows. I like the mares to foal as a group so the babies are born together and weaned together...works out well for me.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 134
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, as a Warmblood breeder, I like them bred as early as possible. Because older foals typically do better at inspection than younger ones. But I live in California, and we have very mild weather all year round, so, I don't have any issues with foaling out early. Depending on where you live, I think that is a big factor when choosing to breed.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 436
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 07:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Mary, as an Oklahoma girl myself, I've waited until May this year for several reasons (will probably do june next year)
1) Being fairly new to the area, I've noticed my mares are transitional right up thru April, I guess because It's still so cold at night (?)
2)Having a baby born in the middle of the night when it's below 40 outside is brutal coming out wet and shaking!
I like it to be warm and pretty, so just in case you miss it, and can't towel off the foal,he's not going to be freezing cold!

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I don't like to breed a mare prior to April. March babies are early enough for me. I live in South Carolina and for the most part by the later part of March, we are having some nice days and our grass has really taken off.

That being said, everybody likes those early babies, particularly for futuries (we have Quarter Horses). If I am breeding a mare and I know I will be trying to either sell her then in foal and/or sell the baby as a weanling, then I shoot for the January/February time frame. Which means bringing the dry mares in by about Turkey Day in late November and putting them under lights, etc.

Foals that I think I am going to keep for my own showing/herd purposes, I don't worry so much about the timing.
I am NOT a fan of two-year-old snaffle bit horses and so my "babies" don't typically get shown until they are three anyway. I think by the time they are 3, a couple of month "headstart" tends to not matter as much.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mary,
I am not a breeder but bred my mare for my own future riding/pleasure/show prospect; it took some time after my mare lost a foal to get her to be clean and cycle so getting her pregnant was more important than what month. I was just grateful to get her pregnant so we did end up getting her pregnant in August for a July baby. It has worked at fine. I am just grateful to have a healthy foal!

Beth Sanford
Yearling
Username: Speedymoose

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 05:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are intending to have show horses, check with your registry about which month the roll over date is. In the Tennessee Walking Horse registery, for example, it is all foals born after October 1 are considered weanlings for the whole next year....they get up to 3 months on everybody else. If you intend to show them as weanlings, however, some breeds like the smaller ones better, so it would be better for them to come in late spring.

If you are breeding for your own purposes and not to show them, let them come in warm, but not hot, weather. Much easier on them and their mommas!

Mary Greer
Yearling
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be showing in AQHA..The stallion that I will be breeding my grey mare with is Two Eyed Alibi. I have him leased from his owner right now and he will be up for stud with his price at $250 until he has points on him. I will post pics later.

Thank you all!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US