SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Will she ever be the same ?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Will she ever be the same ? « Previous Next »

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Breeding Stock
Username: Raknrydr

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare Mira who foaled on a April 4,08 and we lost the foal to a hip lock and deflected hind foot, we worked for nearly 1 hour to free the foal and in doing so severely bruised and caused scare tissue in the uterus.

Well every since the foaling she has had some incontentience problems, it is now 5 wks post foaling and she has healed and done very well but we are still having a problems with when she runs, whinnies or just climbs a hill the urine will just spill out, she flips her tail up on her back at those instances because she feels the urine trickling out.

How long or longer should it be for her to completely get back to normal ? or will she ever ?

Vet is due next week for a 3wk check-up, but I was just getting very worried about her ever being the same again, and if there is something surgically that could be done to fix it if its needed. I just don't see being able to ever use her as riding horse again and be gaiting with urine flying out as we rack down the trail.

I am beside myself with worry that we have ruined this mare and she my never be bred again or used as a trail horse, I think if that is our future I would feel worse about that than losing our foal.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jo Angela~ I don't have an answer but just want to say Hi and hugs....I know that sometimes those injuries take a while to heal. That trauma had to heal and the nerves need to heal. Hopefully your vet can give you some guidance. It is all still pretty new so I would not give up hope for a complete recovery and I will be saying a prayer for that. Perhaps there is something that they need to repair?

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 265
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jo Angela,
I am sorry about the bad experience and losing your foal.

How old is this mare? I do think younger horses can "overcome" more sometimes regarding physical injuries.

In my opinion, 5 weeks isn't a huge amount of time for something like this. There may indeed be a procedure that can be done to aid your mare in returning to normal. Perhaps after giving her some time to heal herself, the vet can better ascertain just how extensive her injuries are at this point and the protocol that he/she needs to follow from here on out.
I would imagine there was a good bit of swelling, etc. that has surely subsided somewhat by now and the vet can more accurately determine what is now going on and what can be done.
Take heart, I bet there is something that can be done and that additional healing time will help.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jo angela,
I'm rally sorry about losing your foal I know all the work you did trying to save the baby..

All my prayers are being sent your way for full recovery...

L

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 225
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HELP!!!!! JOS---I Don't know how to post a new message I truly hope you find this post or that someone can give me some info..I"M WORRIED!!!!!

My mare Spring foaled 05/07/08-I noticed about 3 weeks she had alot of idema under her belly I read everything I could and assumed that it was normal for her late pregnancy, just three days or so before she foaled, the idema ran all the way from her chest to her under belly almost clear to her boobs, after she foaled she tried to get up and collasped 3 times her back legs were very weak and shaking she hasnt eaten much has only pooped once and she is in PAIN! pivots aorund her left legs to move ( she always stay in one place most of the time! Vet was out yesterday she saw Spring straining to poop and how bad her back legs were (swollen) she doesnt want to move Vet checked for GUT sound -Good! (TG)- no Temp- she managed to poop a couple of clumps and they were not textremly hard at all, Vet had to give her Banamine itravenously.(Sp)She seems to be moving a little more still not eating to much I think 2 reasons 1- worried about her baby and it fliping hurts to move! When I hand feed her she will eat! I've tried warm bran mash she ate about 1 cup full Vet seems to think it's a PRE PUBIC VENTRAL LIGAMENT RUPTURE???

JOS!!!!!!! IS there anything I can do other than trying to walk her (painful) we have her on full dose banamine for the next three days?? I have tried to find information on this diagnoses, it seem like its kinda rare?? This is my Vets first
EVER!JOS- My mare is 22 years old she gave me a precious bundle that has put in in pain I have to do whatever the cost may be!

********PLEASE HELP****************
********JOS**********************

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW Laurie, Why don't you call US Davis or another Equine Hospital..there must be one in San Diego. It sound like it might be out of you Vet's scope of expertise? The pictures of Spring do not look like the ones I have seen. Where the mare drops way down because of the ventral ligament ruptures, and the udder appears far forward on the belly and not between the legs. My 17 year old mare was like Spring tons of edema this last time and after she delivered she had tons of edema and extreme pain but more up in her front legs, my vet thought she had "pigeon fever" so off to the Equine hospital but it turned out that she had cellulitus and infected hair follicles, they had to shave her, put her on anitbiotics, and she had to be scrubbed 2x a day for 3 weeks with a anitbiotic wash and cream placed on...she is fine today but again it was out of my vet's scope of expertise...Praying for Spring hope that she is already feeling better but I would be concerned about her not eating!!

Help Jos

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jo Angela, how sad to hear about your loss of your foal and now your mare having this horrible problem. I can't offer any help or suggestions, because I really don't know what can be done, I just want you to know I'm thinking of your and I'll keep you in my prayers. I hope she gets over this soon and you can relax. Try not to blame yourself, you are doing the best for her. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Laurie, this is hard to read, it brings tears to my eyes. I hope and pray you find out what this is and you find an easy and fast remedy. I know how much this mare means to you. I will pray for you also. Good luck my dear and please keep up informed on her progress. I care a great deal what happens to her and your foal.

May God bless you and Jo Angela and protect you both.

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vet was out today and he is sending us to the state vet hospital to see what they say or can do for Mira pooling urine, I hope they can restore her to her pre foaling self.

She is starting to gall between the cheeks of her butt from the urine trickling all the time and her tail is staining yellow.

We hope to take her next week, anyone had any experience with a similar problem?

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about using ky jelly or diaparene baby rash for the skin...that might give it some protection...I will keep Mira in my prayers that they will have solution to her problem.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck Jo Angela with Mira. I'll bet they'll be able to help her. I really think so.

God bless, Marilyn

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jo Angela,
I'm wondering if some of that A&D ointment (for baby diaper rash) on the irritated area would help on two counts. It would help shield the area from further moisture and also would help it start to heal.
We have always had very good luck with the A&D ointment on babies who have the scours. I think they heal faster than with just KY or Vaseline.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Catherine...I could not remember the name of the baby diaper stuff..been a few years :-)

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 301
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan,
I swear by A&D ointment. It also works great on your hands if they become really chapped and irritated. Mine get horrid in the winter and I will take a dab of the A&D and rub it in good then put socks on my hands overnight.
Drives my husband nuts!

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 07:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well we took my mare to the state hospital tuesday for her exam, she was not as bad as they envisioned but she does have some issues.

Instead of going straight for the surgery option they want to let her finish her heat cycle she is in now and then put her on regumate, thinking maybe if they take her out of her regular heat cycles of relaxing and softening and just have her reproductive tract to think she is pregnant and start tightening up and sealing off in prep for containing a foal that it may facilitate the healing and tightening of her system, so we are going to give that 3wks.

She also has some lesions and adhesions that are kind of like spiderwebing in her vaginal vault that needs to be kept moisturized and wiped loose so as they don't form more scar tissue, so I am supposed to go in vaginally and grease her 2 x a week, they gave me all the stuff, I said I was willing to give it a try, not sure how she will react to it and not being tranquilized.

When they looked inside,I was right back there with all the students looking to, you could see a pool of urine the size of my hand sitting puddled up in there.

Now she is also windsucking because of the loss of muscle tone in the vaginal sphincter due to the difficult birth, so we are still hoping given more time and the hormone therepy she might be able ot recover on her own.

(Message edited by raknrydr on May 23, 2008)

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JoAngela, your mare has a lot of healing to do. If you're lubricating her back there and it feels good, she will not mind you back there. Your vet sounds like he knows what he's doing and I have faith she'll recover quite nicely.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jo Angela~So glad that you at least have gotten some guidance. As far as you "duty" With my mare if I put her in the wash rack with a bucket feeder of carrots she munchies away happily and good give a rip what I am messing with...perhaps try something similar so that she associates it with something positive sort of the Pavlov idea. I hope you have a continued success with her healing. She is one very lucky lucky mare to have you have as her caretaker! Hugs, Jan

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I did it, today was the first time I had to attempt the vaginal greasing, I nailed a board up between 2 trees just to give me a little more confidence about being directly behind her.

I wrapped her tail then tied a knot in it and ran a ace bandage through the knot hole and pulled her tail off to the side and wrapped the ace around her neck, cleaned her up with betadine scrub then lubed up my sleeve glove and grabbed a gob of petrolum jelly and went in and wiped in a big circle, it fell off very caverness in there, I thought it was going to be more constricted feeling, I also felt the puddle of urine in there.

Well I feel like next time I can do a better job now that I have a feel for it. We start the regumate monday, at least I dont have to call the vet out her 2 x a week, We are up to $2,500.00 in vet bills and I dont even have a freakin foal to show for it, but we have our mare, at the hospital tues in the parking lot my husband said 3 people came up to him that saw us unloading her, and wanted to know more about her, my husband just eats that up.

joe russo
Neonate
Username: Joe

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

im buying a sweet paint pony mare 8 years old for my kids. the owner said she foaled a few years back, is this something i should be worried about her temperment? the last thing i want is for my kids to get hurt. please help, thanks ,joe

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US