SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare acting like a stallion

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Mare acting like a stallion « Previous Next »

Sarah Pryor
Neonate
Username: Ssonata

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 21 year old mare that in the last month has started acting like a stallion. I have owned this mare for 14 years and she has always been super sweet and since I don't own a stallion or have one on the farm it was never easy to tell that she was in heat (although I tried to breed her a few years ago and she seemed to cycle normally although we didn't get her in foal but that is another story). I haven't added any new horses to the pasture, although one of my other mares foaled 3 weeks ago, but the mare with foal isn't in the pasture with the other horses. The mare that is acting like a stallion started out just being down right mean to the other horses. She started just chasing them and cornering them in the run in shed etc and kicking them over and over. Last night she was "talking" like a stallion to another mare and she tried to mount her, when that didn't work she turned and kicked the other mare several times. I am very worried about her since she has never acted this way before. Any ideas on what is going on with this mare would be wonderful! Thanks so much

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there any way she could be in foal?

Mares sometimes act like stallions when in foal. I was leading a are through a pasture with a mare we bred on Saturday, the mare we bred actually scared me with how stallion-like she was acting. I had never seen her do this before. So hopefully she is pregnant this time!

Sarah
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi -
I know this mare isn't in foal. I have had mares that were in foal act like a stallion (the mare that I have that foaled a few weeks ago was that way early on but then settled down). But no, this mare hasn't been near a stallion, she has been at home in the pasture for the past 3 years.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the article about Granulosa Thecal Cell Tumours (follow that link) - it's one possible cause.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 257
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarah,
There are a couple of things you need to check for. The first is the existence of a Granulosa Cell tumor. They are typically benign but are "steriod producing" and can really get the ole girl out of whack and stallion-like behavior is a classic sign. Here is a good link to an article out of Purdue University:
http://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/2003/winter/Granulosatheca.shtml

The second is of course, hormone imbalances which can cause increased aggression in mares.

Those are the first two things I would check out. Sounds like to me the ole girl needs an exam by the vet.

I can sympathize what you are going thru. I purchased a mare last November that we had to "find things out about"; i.e., the previous owner wasn't real forthcoming with info. This mare has an EXTREME hatred for anything else equine. Doesn't matter whether it be mare, gelding, stallion, big, little, fat or tall. She is an "Equal Opportunity Hater". One thing was that she never tried to mount anything or "talk" to it, she just wants to KILL IT.
She also has a weirdo udder that is full of serum like fluid. One teat is huge too.

Soooo..... my vet became very familiar with the ole girl over the past few months. Turns out she didn't have any type of tumor and in fact her "plumbing" is basically normal. She's just a witch! Her udder is caused by her last foal not being weaned property and he cause ligament damage to her one teat in particular.

Your vet should be able to work with you to find an answer. If this is out of character for this mare, then I would look first for the tumor.

P.S. I think Jos and I posted at the same time! Definitely check her for a tumor.

(Message edited by cateowen on May 07, 2008)

Sarah
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 01:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi -
Thank you guys for replying to me! I do plan to have my mare checked out! I had just a general wellness check done on her a few weeks ago when she got her yearly shots. I mentioned to my vet that the mare had been more aggressive then normal, but the vet didn't really have much to say about it. I am a college student at a State University with a vet school, so I will probably take this mare there and see what they think (she had surgery there a couple of years ago so they know her well). I had noticed that she has developed a thick neck, and I was of course worried about cushings due to her age etc, but I bet the neck and behavior is all related. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks so much!!

Sarah
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi -
I just wanted to let everyone know how things turned out with my mare. She did have a Granulosa Cell tumor. I had it removed the first week of June. She still acted like a stallion for a couple of weeks, but she seems to be back to normal now. I haven't sent her back out into the big pasture yet, but I plan to start letting her go out for half days later this week. Thanks everyone for the info you sent me!

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 275
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarah- Good to hear that you got it figured out, and your mare is doing well!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1810
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarah~Good for you for sticking with that mare and helping her out to have a normal life. Bravo!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US