SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How long before foaling after milk test says ready?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » How long before foaling after milk test says ready? « Previous Next »

Amy Muns
Neonate
Username: Daisysmoonshadow

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am new here and have a question I havent seen answered yet...

I have been testing my mares milk and it has been ready- 6.2 ph and 450/500 calcium for 2 days now. The milk is cloudy/yellowish, very sticky, bland tasting.

How long can it test this way before she foals?

She has been bagging up for 5 weeks now. Her udder is enormous. This is not her first foal, she has had at least 6 foals. She is a former PMU mare, 13 years old, AQHA.

I bought her pregnant so I dont have an exact due date. She foaled last year on May 30 and was bred on her foal heat and then pastured with a stallion all summer. I also have her yearling from last year.

She is relaxed in the hind end, belly looks huge, tail is loose, she keeps holding it up, has loose bowel movements, is very cranky, but doesnt look "dropped" yet.

Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks!

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did the ph drop to 6.2?
Did you use 6ml of distilled water to 1ml of milk?
Has she foaled yet?

Amy Muns
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has been at 6.2 for 2 days now and the Cal 450/500.
Yes, been using 6ml distilled water to 1ml milk. Also rinsing the testing cup and syringe with distilled water and air drying. Not touching anything to get false reading. Also, milk was frothy tonight. And just a tiny bit of sticky wax in each nipple.
No foal yet.

(Message edited by daisysmoonshadow on April 25, 2008)

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 627
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With that reading it generally means anytime. I did however see a mare with a pH of 5.8 that held on for 48 hours.
I would keep an eye on her. Seeing she had her foal on May 30th last year and was bred on her foal heat it would just put her into the early 320s. Were you testing her milk before this reading??

Beth Sanford
Weanling
Username: Speedymoose

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, yall, quick question....is 6.2 the magic pH for all mares or is this individualized???

I went and bought strips, there was no chart in them and the store wouldn't take them back opened. So yesterday I bought more strips with a chart. She tested ~200 (low) on hardness (Ca) and 8.5 pH. This is the mare with the breathing and pooping problems that is 10 days late. I'm waiting until she's done eating her oiled feed to test tonight, and I'll report back!

Just wondered if 6.2 is where all mares get to within 12 hrs of foaling???

Thanks in advance for your time!

Amy Muns
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been testing her since April 3. She started at 8.2 ph and 100 Calcium. On April 22 she went down to 6.8 and 400. This is now the third day at 6.2 or less (my strips only go down that low) and I am guessing Cal is now 500.
So I am watching her closely to see what she will do. All the info I have is that by the time they get to 6.2, they usually foal very soon. So I am curious as to how long she could test that way before she finally foals.
The breeding info may not be accurate. As her last years foal is really big for her age. So I dont know if good records where kept and the info I got was correct.

I will see if this link works for pics...
This is Daisy on 4/22
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/breyerlover1/DaisySaphira/DaisysBaby/Daisy422081.jpg

(Message edited by daisysmoonshadow on April 26, 2008)

Beth Sanford
Weanling

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yall, I got out there with my distilled water, cup, and syringe to test her milk and....

IT'S A FILLY!!!

Yep, she slipped up on me...had it off the cam and without any noise and was standing there over her baby!

She's sorrell with a small star and legs a mile long!!!

I'm not photo posting proficient and have been having issues with sending them from my phone and opening them in my e-mail, so I'll have to send to one of you for posting. Sorry! What's the cure for DUHH?

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 631
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard that once they go below 7.0 pH that they should go anytime. Wow, she is really holding out for you then. Good Luck!!

Amy Muns
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations on your filly!
So last time you tested her what was she at?

I keep expecting my mare to do that same thing. Wait till I am not there and pop it right out.

Beth Sanford
Weanling

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thursday night she was 8.2 pH and low calcium (200). Jenni is posting the pics for me....the thread is under Foaling and Immediate Post Foaling and then under Is Baby Too Big???

Thanks for the congrats! She's a real nice filly and so sweet....full of personality!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US