SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Heat question??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Heat question?? « Previous Next »

Joyce
Breeding Stock
Username: Luv2ridesaddleseat

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm wondering, how do I know when my mini mare comes into heat if I don't have a gelding or a stallion around? My mini mare was bred in October and certainly looks pregnant, but my latest weefoal test says negative. I've seen no signs of her being in heat. Do I need to send her to the stallions farm, to wait and see when she comes into heat to breed her this spring?

Bonny
Yearling
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joyce, My mini is hard to tell heat in also. I have a studly gelding next door and my paint mare would show to him but not my mini.
My mini did show to the stallion but it was very minimal. But she is also a maiden so that could be it. If you have access to a stallion I would see about teasing her.
But with her body changes I am wondering if she is having a false pregnancy, maybe the vet can figure it out....
If so is there a shot for a false pregnancy ???

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 276
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joyce, alot of times its hard to tell in minis...alot of them have "silent heat" or are strictly night time breeders. If you don't have a stallion at home, you could send her to a friend who does...I have one mare who shows no heat until actually exposed to the stallion...if she's in she'll stand for him, if not, she'll whip him! LOL Many times when it's around her time to be in, I'll switch her stall and the stallions....and she'll "show" after living in his stall and smelling him.

Joyce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bonny, from what I understand, any mare can have a false pregnancy. Actually, my paint mare had one last year, and I was in a panic because before I bought her, she was pastured with her son, a colt! I was freeked!! You should have been on this board last year! LOL!!

Diane, I'm going to use a stallion, who is in the next town over from me. This breeder actually was Cookies first owner! I was just hoping to not have to drop her off there and wait and wait for her to come into heat, but it looks like thats what I'll have to do. I'm going to miss her, dang it!!!! Thanks for the info!!

Beth Sanford
Weanling
Username: Speedymoose

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 13 yo maiden mare has never shown signs of heat. I figured that when she got to the breeder's farm with stallions present, she'd show something eventually.

Was I wrong! She never showed heat...made friends with the tease pony. Breeder gave her lutelace to bring her in...nothing. Vet told him to give it 3 more times, each dose given every other day and she should come on in....nothing. She never teased properly...or at all!!

She wound up getting u/s'd by a repro vet daily (yes, I said daily) for nearly 2 weeks until they identified a follicle and caught her ovulating....then breeder took her back to the farm and bred her (no easy feat, either, as I was told she had to be sedated, twitched, blindfolded, and one foot lifted up while wearing hobbles before she'd let the stallion near her. I was told this after the fact, I'd have had a fit if I knew it ahead of time!!!GRRRRR She'd never been real friendly to horse or human, but come on!!!)

Anyhow, after being at the breeder's for 2 1/2 months, all the drugs they tried on her to make her show heat, all those u/s's by the repro vet not the regular vet, and milage to and from the vet daily, the mare care cost was SIGNIFICANTLY MORE than the stud fee!!! She was confirmed to have a viable single pregnancy 22 days later and I went and got her that evening.

I hope for you that things go well and your mare will come on in and be bred quickly and successfully!

Bonny
Yearling

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Beth! Thats something! My Paint mare is so showy that I could tell when she was in when she had no other horse around, only a donkey 2 streets away. There is no doubt when she is in.

But my mini is a different story, and thats one of the reasons I dont know if she is bred or not.
But that is an interesting thought about some minis being night time breeders... Because when we had a stud here, every morning Bonny had mud on her backside. But didnt see her breed during the day on her own....

Joyce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh dear God, Beth!! I hope you get one amazing foal out of all that!! I've surely learned this breeding thing isn't fun sometime. Maybe I'll just buy a mare thats about to give birth! LOL!!!

Bonny
Yearling

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joyce, I would have freaked also. I hope you find out when the vet comes!

Beth Sanford
Weanling
Username: Speedymoose

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell me about it!!! I hope she has a really nice one. Repro vet says she should be easier to breed next time. I hope so. She's not got the most placid personality when she's open, so if everything goes well, she will be bred back on foal heat! This will keep the peace between her and me!!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US