SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

She is driving me CRAZY! Question about mare showing signs of estrus.

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » She is driving me CRAZY! Question about mare showing signs of estrus. « Previous Next »

Samantha
Yearling
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 02:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, as some of you know, I have a 9 year old maiden Trakehner mare who has been bred 6 times with no success, to three different stallions.

Well, 7 days ago we tried a different approach. We bred her on the fact that she was in standing heat, and her cervix was very open. But had no decent follicles when we inseminated her, but she was out of heat within three days.

Fastforward to today, she looked as though she was in heat again. This time though her cervix was completly closed, and her uterus was progesterone dominated, with a 33mm follicle.

So, what if she is pregnant, would she still be showing this signs?

She is driving me up the wall!

Samantha
Yearling

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is still showing signs of heat.

She was ultrasounded again tonight.

Follicle has grown to a 38mm. Uterus slightly more estrogen dominated, and her cervix is just open enough to get through.

We are rebreeding. The vet warned that if somehow there was a pregnancy there, we would be sacrificing it. I just dont know what to think. This isnt right.

Any thoughts?

(Message edited by dressage_diva333 on April 22, 2008)

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 01:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not ignoring you Samantha, I just don't have any answers for you. Hopefully someone can help you soon. :-)

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samantha
Did your vet palpate or ultra sound her all the way through her previous heat cycle? Do you know if she ovulated?

Samantha
Yearling

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the last cycle, on Sunday she was palpated and ultrasounded. Everything was right with her showing signs of estrus, except she only had a 27mm follicle. We had planned to rebreed her Wednesday morning. We did another ultrasound on Tuesday night, cervix was closed, uterus was progesterone dominated, and no follicle to speak of. So he assumed that she had ovulated. But we dont know for sure :S

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samantha, that's a tough call whether or not to breed. I think if it was me, my mare and I was breeding to my stallion I would let her go and have her checked at 12 days. It is early in the year, but you know the mare and her history. I wish you luck.

Are you breeding her to your welsh stallion? I'd love to see a picture of you pony, what's his name and breeding, is he a section B?

Samantha
Yearling

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Heather, her cervix was very open this morning, so we bred. It yet again seemed to be perfect timing, we also gave her HcG.

Yep, she is being bred to my Welsh, his name is Bur-Dal Lord Solomon, his breeding is here: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/bur+dal+lord+solomon

And his page on my website is here: http://www.secretambitionstables.com/burdallordsolomon.htm

He is a Section A. I'm so excited about him, he just keeps getting better and better :] He is my first Welsh, and will definetly not be my last!

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is my first year using my stallion (welsh/tb, 2 yrs. old large pony)and cross him with my welsh cross mares which range from 13.0 - 14.1 hands. In the past I had horse mares and bred to A & B stallions and gotten some nice ponies.

This is a pic of my stallion Sparks Will Fly
[IMG]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/hacooke/SPARKIE.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/hacooke/SPARKIEFRONT.jpg[/IMG]

This is my stallion Buzzy ( tbx mare by section B stallion) I lost him in December as a coming 3 year old, pic take at 2 yrs old.
[IMG]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/hacooke/buzzy1.jpg[/IMG]

This one is "Possum" (14.1) she was out of a TB mare by a 11.3 section A chestnut roan stallion.
[IMG]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/hacooke/possum-website.jpg[/IMG]

This one is Crystal (14.1) out of an Anglo-Trak mare by the same stallion. She is a jumping machine. Just had to get a foal out of her before I sell her.
[IMG]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/hacooke/CREAMPUFF2.jpg[/IMG]

Is this your first year breed for ponies? I hope you get your mares settled, it's still early in the season. It seam that the mares are more cooperative in June, I have 3 due in May.

Samantha
Yearling

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather, they are gorgeous! I am sorry about Buzzy, his picture is beautiful!

I hope so too, we have one at 50 days today, but still struggling with the other two being bred to him :-( But hey, thats breeding, right?

I cant wait to see pix of your May foals!

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you breed your arab mare to your boy? I love the welsh arab cross. I got rid of most of my big mares and opt for pony mares because they are cheaper to keep and easier for me to handle. My ideal combination is welsh x arab and welsh x tb. Sparky will probably top out at 14.1 maybe a hair taller so he will be gelded and sold as a show pony. I'll probably freeze some of his semen and geld him when he is 5. I have a colt that will be 2 in Oct that I'll keep as a stallion to breed to my medium pony mares, he will go over pony size, probably 15 hands, not much value at that size. This is his baby picture. [IMG]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/hacooke/archie1.jpg[/IMG]

This is a picture of his dad, Art I Decked Out. [IMG]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/hacooke/arty_pic.jpg[/IMG]

I'm shooting for large ponies.

This is my first purebred welsh that I bred he is a Section B, he is going to be gray. He was born in March.
[IMG]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/hacooke/MRBADGEREMAIL.jpg[/IMG] Don't know what I'll do with him, he doesn't really fit into my program but he is so friendly and fun to play with.

I love hearing what other pony breeders are doing and seeing pictures of their ponies.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US