SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Hoof question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Hoof question « Previous Next »

corina gabel
Weanling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just in general i would like to know everyones opinon on hoof builders?I need good growth, tough walls but i need lenth as well. good bad and what not
thankyou

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Biotin is what you need and want to strengthen hooves. There are a lot of supplements that have biotin in it or you can get just straight biotin.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, Tracy is 100% correct. Biotin is the best. I am a firm believer (after several horses with shelly feet, would grow no heel, etc.) that hoof problems have to be "attacked" nutritionally, i.e., from the inside out to ever truly be overcome.

Improvement won't happen overnight either. This will be a good 6-8 month process to get the desired effects going on a permanent basis. There are lots of good hoof supplements out there and even horse cookies with biotin in them.

Topical stuff is just stop-gap but there are also some good ones out there that can help until the "good growth" gets going. Nothing beats keeping a horse trimmed every 6-8 weeks and keeping those hooves moisturized. Good ole Hooflex or some equivalent on a regular basis keeps the hoof pliable. Yeah it stinks and is messy, but necessary in a lot of dry climates and conditions.

Good hooves are like women's nails, you have to work at it. (However, since I have horses, I don't worry about having nails, I just clip them down every week or so :-)

corina gabel
Yearling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

his feet look great they jsut arent growing he is 3 and has small feet (we bought pony shoes and they fit his back!! 00 on the front hes maybe about 1000lbs) but they just dont look to be growing much this winter. I went to put shoes on him for the first time. the nails drew bood and they werent up but 1/2 inch not even enuff to hold the shoe on good. We are talking dripping blood for a min. doctored it up after i took the shoe back off and bought boots! does anyone else have this problem. The hoofs are thick and look great just small and very soft like a babys!!!!

when i got him his fronts were dished a bit so i am keeping them done about 2 weeks i waited 4 weeks this time so i had hoof to put the shoe on!!! We are not dry what so ever i live in north idaho we got 2 inches on snow last night!!!

any specific brands there is just so many. Ide like one that doesnt hype him up.

thankyou

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 114
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corina I agre to try the Biotin. I think some horses just take a long time to finish growing. I have a 5yr old Appendix mare that is always a slow grower and had small feet. Last year she was 1000lb and 15.3hh and in a 00. This year she started out the same and then she grew last month. She is 16.2hh and in a 0 with the posobility of going bigger. She has been on biotin since I got her at 5months.

Samantha
Yearling
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use Bio-Meth, and have had great success with it. It is a Biotin supplement. I have also used Next Level Hoof Formula, with great success.

Esther Johnson
Neonate
Username: Estherj92

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 07:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although it is controversial, it has been proven that the hoof is not allowed to flex in the way it was designed to when the horse is wearing shoes. That flexing is very important in the circulating of and it is signifigantly lessened and the hoof wall grows thinner and chips more easily when the horse wears shoes. Hundreds of horses with 'incurable' hoof conditions, from many different disciplines, that "couldn't go barefoot," have been taken barefoot and with the proper trimming, have beautiful hooves, with a much thicker hoof wall and much less chipping, besides being quite hardened enough to take almost anywhere. If a horse goes lame when shoes are taken off, it is usually because when circulation is so signifigantly decreased to the hoof area, the nerve endings are unable to fully function and as a result the horse doesn't feel the discomfort with shoes on. Does that mean, however that it is preferable not to allow the horse to feel? When shoes are taken off and the begins to circulate naturally, although for a time the horse will be sensitive, ultimately you will have a healthier hoof and a more surefooted and contented horse. I took my horse's shoes off in October and the difference is truly amazing! She is surefooted on roads, gravel, etc... hardly seeming as if she noticed the difference. It wasn't that way at first, but as her hoof grew healthier, I saw that it was worth the wait. Also, as interesting point, the entire Houston Mounted Police Force has taken their horses barefoot, and since then the number of s with horses slipping and falling has fallen to zero. If you want to investigate this, just google 'Barefoot trim'.

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 412
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had heard that biotin with methionine is best. The methionine helps the biotin to absorb or something like that. Its kind of like you need calcium with vitamin D for it to work efficiently for yourself. I use horseshoer's secret (reasonable price) and it does take about 6 months to notice the difference. I have also looked at different supplements with even more biotin and methionine and used those.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US