SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Domperidone

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Domperidone « Previous Next »

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So it turns out that my mare still may have about 10-14 days left in her pregnancy, but last week my vet gave me domperidone to start giving her, because she thought we were a little closer to delivery. Should I wait to finish giving the Dom to my mare when I'm a few days closer to pregnancy, or should I just continue giving it to her now? I've tried calling my vet but she still has not called me back yet, so I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks. Thanks

Beth Valen
Weanling
Username: Divaranch

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought you should never give it unless a mare was at their due date, and did not have a bag. The reason to NOT give it, is that you don't want them dripping milk and losing colostrum that the baby needs.

How is it that the vet thought she was ready to foal but now thinks 10-14 days? Did she palpate her? My repro vet practice says don't even give the domperidone until the foal is born.

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 114
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it wasn't my vet who thinks that she has 10-14 days left; it's the guy who I bought this mare from and who knows her really well. He's had a few foals from her before. She's already developed a bag but it isn't fully developed yet, so there may not even be a reason to give the Dom, right?

Tim Popovitz
Weanling
Username: Dystocia

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily

IMHO
I'd be more inclined to follow the advice of the veterinarian. If fescue is a problem this year and hasn't been in the past, then the advice from the previous owner would not be enough to change the perscribed treatment.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be aware that mares treated with Domperidone to encourage mammary development typically do not develop colostrum, or very poor quality colostrum. It is not uncommon to have to treat for longer than the 10 days prior to foaling (as many times one does not know when the last 10 days of pregnancy are!) , and as there is not going to be colostrum anyway, loss of milk is not an issue to be concerned about - but making sure you have a supplemental source of colostrum is!!!

Tim Popovitz
Weanling
Username: Dystocia

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 01:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen Jos!!! The importance of a colostrum supplement cannot be overstated.

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I think I'm going to wait a little longer then, and if she hasn't developed a full bag by her due date, then I will finish giving her the Dom. Does this sound ok?

Beth Valen
Weanling
Username: Divaranch

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, it depends on WHY the vet wanted you to give the Domperidone in the first place. (I don't recall seeing any reference to fescue, but Tim raises a good point on this) So if your mare has been on fescue, that's one thing. If you think the mare is going to foal but has no bag, then it's a good idea. But it sounds like your mare DOES have a bag. No matter how well the trainer knows your mare, don't disregard the vet's instructions without talking to the vet. If it turns out the vet prescribed this for fescue reasons, and you stop giving it because the trainer thinks she's not due yet.... you are endangering the foal.

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well we don't have any evidence or anything that she's gotten into fescue. My vet gave it to me because we just weren't sure if she could have gotten in to some fescue. But yes, she does have a bag. It's just not fully developed yet.

Lori Schaich
Nursing Foal
Username: Lschaich

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've gave the Dom to 2 of our mares before. I've never had a problem with lack of colostrum. That is something I've never heard before. (not saying it isn't true, just never heard it until now)
I would follow your vets advice.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lori - did you evaluate the Colostrum for IgG content, and if so how and what were the results?

My information came directly from the researchers who worked on the development of domperidone.

Lori Schaich
Nursing Foal
Username: Lschaich

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos- No, we did not have the colostrum IgG tested. I was just going by what our vet said. They didn't know of any ill effects from the Domperidone.

I'm glad you posted your information though. I'll be sure to find out more about it before using it again!! Thanks

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US