SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Supposed to snow this weekend, and keeping foal warm

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Supposed to snow this weekend, and keeping foal warm « Previous Next »

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is due any day now, and it is supposed to snow this weekend. My mare is in her foaling stall with lots of straw, but if the foal is born this weekend, should I do anything special for it to keep it warm? I bought a blanket but it might be too big for it right away. I just don't want to take any chances!

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would get a heat lamp. You can clip it to the stall and the foal can lay under it for warmth or move away if he/she is getting to hot. I do this with every foaling and it's always worked very well.

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great idea, thanks!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 01:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome :-)

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 833
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, it was pretty cold when Jetta was born so I put on this blanket I bought from Schneiders Saddlery. It kept her toasty warm. Here is the link : http://www.sstack.com/shopping/search/searchresultsmain.jsp?searchType=keyword&N RS=1&RS=1&keyword=16012

Tawnya Reber
Breeding Stock
Username: Horserescuer42

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey emily.. im in missouri so close to you.. its snowing here.. i cant believe it. darn weather

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, it sucks! I heard it's supposed to be in the seventies next week, so I hope it's the same for you!!

Emily West, Gracie Due 04/11/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 543
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I'm in Missouri too and I can't believe how cold it got. Of course my mare is getting close now that it is cold again.

Evelyn Quigley
Neonate
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily,
I had a foal born in March when the temp was 36 degrees. I had to help the mare dry him because he basically came out shivering. I had purchased a foal saver blanket on ebay several weeks prior to his birth and I'm so glad I bought it. It really helped to finish drying him off and now my filly is wearing it. I'm not sure who makes it but I'm sure you can locate one online. Any well fitting foal blanket is well worth the investment. I'm hesitant about heat lamps because I had one cause a fire in my barn a few years ago. If you do decide to use a heat lamp make sure that the horses can't bump into it or knock it over. My barn fire started when someone pushed some hay too close to the lamp.
I hope this helps and happy foaling!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I clip the heat lamp on the stall door behind the bars so there is no way it's going into the stall. If it fell off it would land in the aisleway :-) Definitely be careful with it.

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alrighty, thanks :-)

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 212
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracy? Are you sure you're adding in enough "be careful " with that???? After your experience , and all??? LOL (wasn't it you who set the hay on fire?) haha, just having a little fun

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 01:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No that was Evelyn that started the fire. :-) I've been very fortunate to not have any mishaps with the heat lamp :-)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tawnya: Where in Missouri are you?

Emily...my little babies do NOT like this snow and cold weather! They want to go back inside mom.

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, I bet!! I hate it too, and I live inside in a warm house! Lol

Tawnya Reber
Breeding Stock
Username: Horserescuer42

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 12:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i live in holt which is somewhat close to kc. north of it.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 215
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ooh, my apologies tracy! haha! It was a funny story,. no matter who it came from! LOL

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am in the Upstate of South Carolina and it supposed to snow 1-3 inches up in the mountains to the north of us (North Carolina/Tennessee border) this afternoon and this evening!!! It is about 46 degrees here at 12:30 today. Supposed to get down in the mid 30's tonight --- HERE!!! At least we will be back up in the mid-70's by Thursday.
What happened to global warming?

Regarding the new foal,
1) Lots of bedding/straw is essential, the little guys will "burrow" into it when they lay down.
2) Blankets are great, they outgrow them quickly but you can't beat them for newborns. I like the "wrap-around" ones with the little bellyband. I get them from Schneiders Saddlery.
3) Heat lamp is a good idea, but don't burn the barn down. Everyone's elses suggestions on that are good. Remember straw in particular is flammable. Keep it a good distance from the stall floor and out of the mare's reach i.e., she decides to "check out" the strange new "toy".

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 271
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

be careful with some heat lamps--last year when my mare was suppose to foal in the winter(she didn't until June) I had put a heat lamp on in one corner--anyway 6 or more feet from anything--it burned through a 6X6 --luckily didn't catch the barn on fire but I am so leary of them now

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No worries Diana :-)

Heat lamps are kind of like space heaters, they work very well but you have to be extrememly careful with them.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tawnya: I know where Holt is. I was raised in Independence, MO and then moved to SE MO when I was in my mid-twenties.

Its getting warmer now so I'm hoping your babies peek into their new life!

corina gabel
Weanling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our mare would take a bite of hay and drag it over the baby and drop most of it. not all cuz shes a pig but a good deal of it then go back for another bite by the time she was done eating the baby was covered up then she would lay next to him and sleep! so cute and really hard for the pigish mare that she is!!!!

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aww, Corina, that is too adorable!!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US