SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Stall Skins for foaling stall???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Stall Skins for foaling stall??? « Previous Next »

Michelle Richardson
Neonate
Username: Carefreemom

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are constructing our foaling stall and had been planning on placing rubber mats until we read about the problems with them. So I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on stall skins. They are suppose to be breathable and draining. I welsome any advise! Thanks

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be very interested in this information too! We have thought about this alternative but I admit, I've been hesitant to do it only because I have not talked to anyone that has them. Anyone out there that uses them?

Catherine Owen
Yearling
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too would be really interested to know if anyone out there has had any experience with these "stall skins".

I wonder if they are "tough enough" and it looks to me like you have to bed REALLY DEEPLY to protect them.

Also, since the moisture (i.e., urine, etc. goes thru them and into the ground, what about ammonia smells, etc.?

I would really like to know if anyone has an opinion about them one way or the other.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In about a week and a half I'll be going to Ohio Equine Affaire. I will see if the distributer is there. If they are I'll get all the information for you ladies. Or maybe I'll find something else that may work. I keep my eyes open while I'm there. :-)

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's some information I found on the internet.

Frequently Asked Questions
Stall Skins

What are they made of?
They are made of polypropylene, which is a non woven fabric that you can not see through and have no holes, but liquid will flow straight through. This means that once it’s on the ground your horse won’t come into contact with the dirt again but the urine will drain straight through it.

How thick is a Stall Skin?
It is a very dense just over 1/4” thick. You are welcome to request a sample from the web page.

How do I know if the ground drains enough for a Stall Skin?
The rule of thumb is that you are able to pour a bucket of water on the ground and watch the puddle disappear as you are standing there.
If the puddle stays, then the ground needs some work.

What can I use underneath it if my ground does not drain?
4-5 “ of gravel with a top layer of sand works well. Crushed Limestone, DG, Road base, or a sand that has gravel mixed into it works well. Use whatever you can get locally.
If your horse urinates in the same place, dig that out and make a hole about 2’x’2x2’ and fill it with gravel, make the top of the hole about 4” lower than the rest of the stall, level it out with sand and compact it. This will help the urine to drain through the mat quicker.

How compact does the ground need to be?
The ground needs to compact enough that your horses’ hooves are not buried in the sand when they walk on the dirt. You can hose it down a little and then do shuffle steps across the whole stall or rent a roller from Home Depot, fill with water, to make it heavy, then you roll it across the stall or rent a Compactor.

How long do they last?
Our proto-types have been the ground for about 7-8 years. The average mat should last you at least 6-7 years. You will save at least a dollar a day in bedding costs so they should pay for themselves within 7 months.

Which way up does the fabric go?
The rough/shiny side goes up against the horse and the soft fluffy side goes down against the dirt.

What do you do if you have a 10x12 Stall?
For this size you would order the 1212 Kit. Once you have installed it, you can cut off any excess material.

Custom Sizes?
Please call the office 1-800-400-3165. Custom Size are Fabric Only orders, they are not returnable and come without Molding or Screws and Washers.

Fabric Only Orders?
You have to order the width of the roll which is 13’ wide and nearly up to what ever length you need. These can be ordered by phone only. These orders count as custom orders so take about 3-4 weeks and are not returnable.

Can I use this outside?
Absolutely, they are great for muddy gate ways, or paths that have a lot of foot traffic. Create a frame, make it flush with the ground and screw the material to the frame and cover with mulch or gravel.

How long do orders take?
Standard Kit Sizes take about 2 weeks and Custom Orders take between 3-4 weeks.

Please contact us if you have any other questions we are happy to help.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Marilyn, you are a sweetie and always so very helpful. I will read thru this. We are building a new show barn this spring so this topic interests me greatly.

Michelle Richardson
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Marilyn Thanks. It is so nice to be able to get other opinions. I have been doing some research and I think we are going to give them a try. I will post when I have them installed and gather an experienced opinion.

Laurie A Beltran
Yearling
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
as usual, HELPFUL! It nice to have such a friend !

L

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a problem, I'm happy to do it, and thank you for your kind words.

I hope they're at the Ohio Horse Symposium, because now that I think of it, it may help me with my horses who likes to excavate and make a mess in the lien-to. I go through a ton of sand because of their digging.

Maybe there's something else out there that will be as good, if not better. I'll let you all know. :-)

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, send those "excavators" my way. I have a bunch of post holes I need dug. Suppose we could train them? Anything would beat clamshell posthole diggers. I think I am going to break down and buy a posthole digger to go on the back of the tractor!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Catherine, I would love to send them your way, and my dog too. She's worse than they are. lol

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 607
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 07:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have one of these Stall skins in a stall and they are fabulous! Much nicer and cleaner than an ordinary rubber matt. There is no slipperyness to them. Both urine and water just drains well through it. Cleaning is a breeze if needed just spray on some water/pinesol mixture scrub if you like and either hose it down or leave in on and rebed. Horses do not slip on this stall skin like they could on the other types of matts. Very durable for the horses! Definately will be putting Stall skins in the rest of my stalls.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lori! They look like they would be lighter and more "manageable" than those durn HEAVY mats. True?

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have those heavy mats and I'm not a big fan. The last time I had a foal born on the mats, he slipped so much to the point I had to help him up the first time. So I wouldn't recommend it.

Michelle Richardson
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lori! I am glad to hear a positive report about them. SO many products out there I never know what to believe until I hear/see it 1st hand!!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lori! I'm glad to hear from someone that has actually used them. Cost wise, is it the same as mats or more expensive?

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 608
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 06:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stall skins are much lighter than your heavy mats. I, myself was able to install the mat in about 2 hrs (with not knowing what I was doing) in a 12x12 stall. The bottom base on my stall is about 6-8 inches deep with 0-7/8's gravel than 6-8 inches of stone dusting tampered down to like a drainable cement than topped it off with 2 inches of sand. Stall skin layed on top of all this.

Cost factor....tell ya what, I live in Canada and it was still cheaper to purchase stall skins from California than it was to buy those heavy rubber mats from here. So if that tells you anything about their price! :-) I think it was $280 for a 12x12 stall with shipping.

I've had other stalls with those other type of heavy rubber mats and somehow the horses still find a way to get a corner turned up and shavings under them. Than it becomes a pain in the you know what to move them and clean out from under those mats. They do not drain as well and somehow still you can smell the urine. Stall skins once they are down they take form to the stall and there is no way for your horse to pull it up! :-)
Hope this helps! :-)

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lori, that helps alot!

Michelle Richardson
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lori!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US