SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

False NEGATIVE with Weefoal???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » False NEGATIVE with Weefoal??? « Previous Next »

Joyce
Breeding Stock
Username: Luv2ridesaddleseat

Post Number: 118
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it seems nothing is 100% with these mares! My mini mare, Cookie, LOOKS pregnant! I have her on a diet with portion controlled hay only. She is getting bigger! The latest weefoal test at 146 days, was negative. I may buy another one and do it over again. Acording to the former owner, these pictures would be from day 154! Of course, I'm going out of my mind! So has anybody ever had a false negative weefoal test????

[IMG]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/joycesgrooming/DSC00244.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/joycesgrooming/DSC00214.jpg[/IMG]

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh Joyce, she looks pregnant to me. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the test, but by looking at her, it doesn't look like a hay belly. The picture from behind shows she sticks out on one side more than the other. But she either isn't standing square or she's resting a leg, which would make her belly appear to be lopsided. If she would be standing straight and still looked lopsided, I would guess she's pregnant.

Catherine Owen
Yearling
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think she is either preggers or has swallowed a big beach ball! I don't have minis (have Quarter Horses) and am NOT a pony expert, but she looks preggers to me, I don't care how tall she is. I haven't ever relied on a WeeFoal test. What does your vet say? Don't they do external ultrasounds on these little mamas?

And P.S. --- How CUTE! These little minis are mostly SOOOO Adorable!

(Message edited by cateowen on March 30, 2008)

Bonny
Weanling
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Joyce, Between Cookie and Bonny......

Y'all wouldnt it be hard to see a foal on US internally if they were pretty far along? Say if the foal slipped over the pelvic ridge?

Bonny
Weanling

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Joyce just to add I either got a false neg the first time, or a false pos the second....both with wee foal so after 2 tests a month apart one is wrong. I dont know if that makes you feel better or not.

Joyce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bonny, the weefoal test is only accurate from 120 days forward. Wasn't your mare with the stallion in December? Do you think she was a least 4 months pregnant when you tested her? My first test was done at 104 days, so if she turns out not pregnant, it's not a false positive at all. I didn't know the second test had been mailed and may have sat in my mailbox as I didn't check for it and then I left it out of the refregerator for 2 days after that. I know these tests are very sensitive and they are now going to send stricter instructions with the tests. I may try one more.....

Mary Greer
Yearling
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She looks preggo to me I am no mini expert but I have seen my share of preggo minis.. She looks like the minis down the road from me that are all preggo.

Joyce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 120
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She does Mary, doesn't she? I just sent an e-mail to weefoal to see if maybe I didnt handle the test correctly. I'll see if maybe they think it was wrong because of that, and If I should test one more time.

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 262
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I thought I didn't handle the test correctly they had me collect some urine and send it to them and they tested mymare--and she was negative

Michele
Yearling
Username: Mich

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the test is not done 120 days+ post breeding you could get a false negative.

WeeFoal cannot give a false positive as quote: " 'WeeFoal' analyses a small sample of your mare's urine for the presence of a pregnancy associated estrogenic steroid metabolite. This steroid is made by the foetal-placental unit in increasing amounts as pregnancy progresses. It is excreted into urine where it can be easily measured, and so provides a non-invasive means of diagnosing pregnancy status and monitoring foetal viability.

'WeeFoal' does not suffer the problem of 'false positive' diagnoses, often seen with other biochemical pregnancy tests, where mares that have lost their foals are still diagnosed as pregnant. In the event of foetal loss, production of the estrogenic steroid decreases rapidly to non-pregnant levels, thereby resulting in a 'not pregnant' diagnosis when tested by ''WeeFoal'. " end quote.

Confusing and/or incorrect results can also be / usually are because of the following:
1. Testing before 120 days and testing post 300 days in foal.
2. Human error in performing the test.

If you feel the above two do not pertain to you then you should contact WeeFoal direct, send them the used test kit within 30 days with an explanation and they will analyse it and if found to be faulty will replace it.

Michele
Yearling
Username: Mich

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meant to add the following with regard to storage temperatures for WeeFoal test kits:

Stability of product:
12 months at 39F
1 month at 86F
Less than 7 days at 122F
DO NOT FREEZE

I've also had to collect urine from dirty shavings for clients on more than one occasion - literally squeezed brown liquid out of the bedding - and I have had 100% reliable, accurate results.

Bonny
Weanling

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually have been in contact with the makers of wee foal in New Zealand. There are incidents where a wee foal can yield a false positive. From Dr Henderson in New Zealand:
It is unusual for the WeeFoal test to return a false positive result. There are a few possible causes such as the urine was stored too long before testing (over about 8 hours at room temperature) and this resulted in bacterial growth in the urine which can give a false positive result; the container the urine was collected in was not clean and the contents contaminated the urine (we have had an instance of a user collecting urine in a bucket that had previously held feed and there were still feed remnants in the bucket, and this gave a false positive result). If too much urine is added to the diluent, or the urine is not diluted before adding to the cassette well, this can return a false positive too. We have also had an instance where a mare which had foaled the previous year had not dropped its estrogen concentrations to the typical non-pregnant values, but were still at the low end of the range associated with pregnancy. However, as the first test showed a negative result this situation is unlikley. Also, if the test has not been stored properly, then this can result in a pregnant result, though there would also be a faint 'C' line. If the test itself has not run properly, then the 'T' line might not have shown up, but again this would be accompanied by a faint 'C' line. I wonder if Bonny noticed if the 'C' line was strong or faint in the test that gave a false positive result.

Joyce my first test in Jan was neg, The second test in Feb was the false positive, I had only owned Bonny about 6weeks when I preformed the test. I had her tested by blood after a external US showed no foal. At 120 plus days that she should have been for the wee foal to show pos then the blood should have shown her to be pos. But the blood work came back neg.

Joyce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got my answer back from weefoal yesterday. They don't hold well at less than 35 degrees. So They are sending me another one. I'll make sure I don't mess this one up! I will believe what ever the results are this time!

Bonny
Weanling

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joyce, thats great. Lets hope this test come out conclusive for you. Are you going to collect via the cup and tape method? When do you expect to get the test in?

Joyce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The test will be conclusive as long as I am positive that my mare is at least 120 days pregnant, which I know for sure, and that I have handled the test according to the directions, which I will. I just came back from Cookies former owners farm and looked at the mare that was bred the same month as cookie, and to the same stallion. Belly wise, she looks just like cookie. This time, I will be watching daily for the test, and I will tape a cup to her butt, so there will be no delays what so ever, and no questions when I'm done.

Bonny
Weanling

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joyce, I sure hope so! I know how frustrating this has been for you! I hope also that it shows the positive that we are waiting for! A mini cookie would be so awesome.
Also I wanted to add that I meant conclusive, and if you would trust the results because of my own experience, not meaning to offend you.

(Message edited by bonny on April 01, 2008)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US