MAIN PAGE
EQUINE REPRODUCTION ARTICLES
SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page
 
Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board
 
Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
New Posts New Posts Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Color preference

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Color preference « Previous Next »


Author Message
 

Emily S
Yearling
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 80
Registered: 02-2008
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have a question, but I just wanted to say that I really hope my foal is black!!! I bred my sorrel mare with my trainer's pure black stallion, so there's a chance! I think a bay would be nice too. As long as it's healthy, I'll be happy, but having the color I want would be nice too...Lol
 

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 152
Registered: 05-2007
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi Emily, I had a colt -well, my mare did actually!- 5 months ago. He is ver dark but there is still not way of knowing if he is a very dark bay or a fading black!. I guess only a few black are born black, the rest are born these other colors and you just have to wait until they shed their baby coats. So, I will wait ´til winter-I am in the southern hemisphere- and if the situation is not clear I will have him tested.
I do hope you get your black little one!! I am not good at these genetic stuff but if the stallion is homozigous for black (is that what you called a pure black?)shoudn´t you always get a black foal?.
 

Emily S
Yearling
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 82
Registered: 02-2008
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not really sure either...Lol. I'm not too good at the genetic stuff either. That'd be really cool though!! Congratulations on your colt!!
 

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1066
Registered: 08-2007
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not good at color genetics either but I think your highest chance is bay then an even chance on black and chestnut. If he's homozygous for black that just means you will not get a chestnut but you could still get bay.
 

Emily S
Yearling
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 84
Registered: 02-2008
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 01:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome. I love bays too :-)
 

Emily West, Gracie Due 04/11/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 466
Registered: 06-2006
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily,
Your chance of getting bay or black will depend on if your mare carries the agouti gene or not,( agouti is the gene that restricts black to the points of the body, main, tail, legs, etc.).
If she doesn't carry the gene you have a 50/50 chance of black or sorrel. If she does you would have 25% chance for black, 25% chance for bay, and 50% chance of sorrel.
Here is fun link were you can play with color coat combinations. http://www.animalgenetics.us/CCalculator1.asp

Good Luck!!
 

Emily S
Yearling
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 87
Registered: 02-2008
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you!! It says there's a 50% chance it will be a bay and a 50% it will be black, but I don't know what gene she carries, so who knows..Lol



Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service
 

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US