SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Sooo worried

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Sooo worried « Previous Next »

Emily S
Yearling
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so worried about my mare and foal. I don't really have a reason to be, I don't think. I'm just freaking out that something's gonna go wrong. My mare is between 19 and 20 years old and I just hope that she's going to be ok, and I didn't know she was pregnant all winter long so I hadn't been feeding her the proper vitamins and feed, but I know that wild horses give birth all the time. Everyone's telling me that I'm being obsessive but I can't help it. I just wanted to post this on here cuz I'm sure that a lot of you will understand. Thanks

Samantha
Weanling
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 03:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand your concerns completly.

I am breeding my 18 year old mare this year, and am worried sick about her. The first step is getting her in foal, that will be stressful in itself, but my biggest concern is that she aborted her last foal at 150 days (that was 5 years ago). I got her for such a good price, and more than one her foals are selling, or have been valued at 50k+.

I'm sure she will be fine, just try and be there for the foaling, and make sure she is on proper nutrition now :] Do you have some idea of when she is due?

Beth Valen
Weanling
Username: Divaranch

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, it's reasonable for you to be concerned. Carring a delivering a foal is harder on a horse her age-- but if she has had babies before, that certainly is a good thing. (riskier for a maiden of that age)

About the nutrition.... you did not know she was pregnant, so you could not have done anything else. As the baby grows, it pulls nutrition, minerals, etc from the mom. Since your mare did not have enough for herself, and the foal in her tummy... that's probably why she is underweight. If there is not enough for both, its literally pulled from the mother to the baby. Even to the point of pulling protein from their muscles. So it's going to be very important to continue with your new, more appropriate feeding program since the baby will pull more and more from your mare-- and at the same time your mare probably needs to be built back up herself. The biggest drain will be for the first 3 months of nursing.

At this point, what will be, will be. Something could go wrong, but honestly all you can do is do your best.

You are now feeding her better, right? The Omelene? And alfalfa? Is she gaining weight? If not, can you safely increase her alfalfa?

Do you have your foaling supplies on hand, and konw what to do, who to call for help? Do you have a safe place for her to foal? A large stall, clean/disinfected, and the mare needs to spend some time there in advance so she is comfortable there. They should foal on straw not shavings. If your weather is nice, some prefer to let them foal in a clean, quiet grassy area outside. (not as good in bad weather, for obvious reasons).

Read up, be prepared, and just hope for the best. If you do not feel up to handling it, get help. Either someone who can come immediately, even in the middle of the night-- or send her to a foaling facility and let the pros handle it.

Emily S
Yearling

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm feeding her a lot better now. She was on Omelene but my vet wanted me to put her on Equine Senior instead because she didn't think that she was digesting the Omelene very well. I also have her on alfalfa and Mare Plus and giving her lots of hay and letting her graze during the day. My vet said she looks a lot better weight wise, so she's getting there :-). She is due anywhere from between now and early April, but my trainer thinks she still has about 4 more weeks to go. We have a foaling stall built and lots of straw, so that will be ready for her, and my trainer said that he could come out when she gives birth, just in case, but she's had babies before and she's done just fine. I also heard that I need to get something to clean the umbilical cord with, but I can't think of the name of it right now... I have also bought a blanket for the foal and I'm looking for a halter too. Thanks for your guys' help, I greatly appreciate it.

Beth Valen
Weanling
Username: Divaranch

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like you are making sure your bases are covered. There are somethings you need to have on hand, for the newborn. Clean towels to dry him/her off. Chlorhexadine to treat the naval, 2-3 times a day for several days. An enema, for the new born. Sterile lubricant, for giving the enema. They should have tetanus toxoid as soon as possible. Some vets also like a shot of amikacin or other antibiotics. A tube of Ivermectin to give the mare after she's had the foal and passed the placenta.

Good idea to have banamine on hand, they often get very uncomfortable / colicky after passing the placenta. (do NOT give until placenta is passed). Speaking of which you need a clean container, hopefully with a lid, to put the placenta in-- so that the vet can inspect it when s/he comes out to do the IgG. Some like to have seramune on hand to give the newborn, others wait for the IgG and if it's not good, they give plasma.

Also, keep important phone numbers near the foaling stall. A flashlight with fresh batteries if there are not lights. A notebook or pad, to write down key events and times.

I'm glad she's gaining weight, way to go!

Emily S
Yearling

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow that's intense. Lol. I hope I get everything right!!! I'll write all of it down, and make sure that I get all of it. Thank you very very much! Also, I posted this on another bulletin, but I didn't get a response, so I'll try it here. I heard that I should get a leather figure 8 halter for the foal. What exactly does this look like and where can I get it?

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 577
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.weaverleather.com/tack/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&pro ducts_id=14567&osCsid=3ee3a3b005bcb

It was big at first, but that is ok...because it goes on and off more easily. Mine only wore his for small training sessions...and to run around a bit...getting used to the halter and the leather flapping. It fit several months. He is a yearling now and he is on his third halter.

At Birth
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/shotsnurse1/PC150010_edited-1.jpg

A Few Mos Later
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/shotsnurse1/P1270006_edited-1.jpg

I think mine was about $15. You should be able to get one at your local TSC or Fleet Farm. If not the link is there. I would check ebay too.

Emily S
Yearling

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this a good halter?? http://cgi.ebay.com/TORY-LEATHER-Foal-Slip-Halter-Burgundy-Latigo_W0QQitemZ35003 2215594QQihZ022QQcategoryZ1048QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247Q QcmdZViewItem.
Or is this one better? http://cgi.ebay.com/TORY-LEATHER-Leather-Foal-Slip-Halter-Dark-Oil-Foal_W0QQitem Z270220441851QQihZ017QQcategoryZ1048QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118. l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 01:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly? They both look great! :-)

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 581
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See how the second one has a buckle at the nose. I think this one may fit longer....and better at first...because of the adjustability. Mine has a buckle at the nose.

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 582
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But the other one looks more sturdy....and does have a buckle on the other side that looks like it may be just as adjustable........yup something like both of these...and it will last years! Foal after foal...

Emily S
Yearling

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, thanks guys!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US