SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

What the heck is going on ????

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » What the heck is going on ???? « Previous Next »

bonnie scott
Neonate
Username: Late4thesky

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bought a 12 yr old mare in Oct 2007 she had weaned her foal and was out in pature. Apparently some yearlings and/or two yr olds sneaking sucks from her. Since Oct when she came to my place she has had no one "sneaking sucks " but has always maintained some what of a bag.

I had the vet up in January to do a pre breed exam and she didn't think mastitis. The previous owner swears there is no way she could be pregnant ,she was not exposed to a stud/colt.

She has not shown any signs of heat when I have teased her. Finally I took milk/secreation samples to the vet to have tested for possible bactieria and her milk came back clean, so that ruled out any infection/masyitis. She did say that there were a couple of cells that she couldn't identify and would need to be sent away for further testing. I don't have the $$ to do that right now so I said i would just wait and watch.

Any one have any ideas on this it's driving me nuts.

Vet say's that false pregnancies are pretty rare in mares.

BTW she has had five previous foals.

\i am wondering ,from the milk samples would they be able to tell if she was pregnant?

Her milk was a yellow colour,but the vet said wasn't colostrum.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No they can't tell from milk samples if she is pregnant but I'm a little confused. You said you had the vet out to do a prebreeding exam, he couldn't tell you then if she was pregnant or not? What exactly did he do at this prebreeding exam?

Beth Valen
Weanling
Username: Divaranch

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you think she could be pregnant, have the vet out to check. Depending on how long ago the possible breeding would have taken place, this can be easily determined by palpation or blood test.

Has she never dried up ever since weaning last fall? If so, there's a problem. I don't think she'd still be producing milk if she were not being nursed.

bonnie scott
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think she's pregnant thats the thing.
She hasn't dried up since weaning her last foal and she has NOT had another horse nursing from her,she was kept alone,and the previous owner said she was NOT in contact with any stallion/colts.

When the vet came up in late January she did a rectal exam and she said she couldn't feel anything.

Catherine Owen
Yearling
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bonnie,
I have a 10-year-old AQHA mare with what I can best describe as an enlarged udder, I mean the poor ole gal almost looks like she has a testicle on one side. You can milk a "serum" type of fluid out of both teats although there is a more significant amount of this fluid in the one side/teat that is enlarged. No heat nor does it appear to be painful. I bought her in November and have learned a lot of interesting things about her.

After two vets (never hurts to get a second opinion) this is what we have come up with. Both vets ran cultures on the fluid we milked out of her teats. Like I said, it is serum-like (thin, slightly discolored) fluid. Negative for mastitis, negative for any infections, etc. What we have concluded is that the mare has suffered ligament damage in her udder (that side in particular) and the resultant fluid is like synovial fluid.

The fact that your mare had a little "sneaker" sneaking drinks also coincides with this mare I have. Information has been somewhat sketchy but I don't think her last foal (from 2006) was ever properly weaned (like I don't think he was EVER weaned), i.e., I think he just kept nursing along. Eventually these little guys get too big and can get rough on mama. Thus, the ligament damage my mare has suffered. That is what two vets have come up with regarding my mare.

In conclusion, there really isn't anything that can be done for my gal, she will just always look like she has a testicle on that side. My vet did think it was okay to breed her as her other teat appears pretty normal and the foal should have no problem nursing from that one. The other enlarged one, we will probably have to milk and feed baby (particularly the colustrum) until he/she can get big enough to nurse from it too.

bonnie scott
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ligament damage thats interesting... I have pics I will try to post later.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US