SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Inducing Labor in horses??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Inducing Labor in horses?? « Previous Next »

Mary Greer
Nursing Foal
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok.. My mare is at day 370 and I am worried because her infection she had was most likely caused by fescue. is there any way to induce labor so niether her nor the baby get hurt??

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 962
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 01:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always heard you should never induce a horse's labor, it actually can be very harmful. I know of one person that induced her mare because she was "overdue" and streaming milk so the vet went ahead and did it, the foal died and they almost lost the mare.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 07:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with tracy on that one. Take care of the mare's infection, but don't mess with mother nature! Did you AI? Is it possible you're off on your date? She'll foal when it's time. I've never heard anything good come from inducing a mare.

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The trouble with inducing a mare is the foal is often not in position to be born if you induce, it usually causes a difficult delivery and if the foal isnt properly positioned and its deliverd the prolonged delivery causes oxygen deprivation which causes all sorts of horrible things....
so hold out a bit longer... she isnt THAT overdue... I know it seems like nearly forever... but in time when the time is right shell deliver, and if fescue was an issue, be diligent about your watch so if need be to assist you are there(to pull the foal or tear the sac off the face)
Seems as if alot of mares are going long this year, so its not just yours!
good luck and hang in there!!!!!
you could call and consult with your vet about maybe checking the mare to be sure all is well for peace of mine..... that may not be a bad idea, he can check foal position, and check to see if the mare is dialating. I have not read other threads on your mare, but is she bagging and progressing?

Amanda Gilbert
Breeding Stock
Username: Amanda

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to induce one of my mares almost 2years ago due to health problems with the mare. I would not ever do it inless it was a last resort. My mare had a lot of problems she was an older maiden mare. The foal was in position and was ready to go. The mare had so much edema that her belly was spliting open and her legs were very swellon here is a picture of her that was taken shortly before she was induced http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j179/Aagilbert/100_0738.jpg she was moved to my vets to be induced it was the worst thing I have ever been threw. She was not the same after it did a lot of damage to her both her and the foal lived however that is rare. here is a shot of her shortly after having the foal http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j179/Aagilbert/100_0783.jpg. here is another shot of her about a month later http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j179/Aagilbert/100_0910.jpg We could never get weight to stay on her and she always had a bloated look to her belly. She never moved right behind after either. We lost her this past summer I think if we had never bred her and had to induce her she would still be here and would not have had any of these problems. I should add that she never push once during all of her labor the foal was pulled out and the vet had to do CPR on him to bring him back to us. The mare dropped and I thought that she had died but she was just worn out. Never elect to do this to your horse.

Amanda

Linda Bauer --Rita due 4/29
Weanling
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently read mares bred Jan thru May on average go 10 days longer than mares bred July thru Oct.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda~so sorry you had to go through that :-( Do you still have her son? My mare's first pregnancy she went 379 days so hang in there.

Jan

Amanda Gilbert
Breeding Stock
Username: Amanda

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jan I do still have her son. We plan on keeping him. He is looking very nice we will start ground driving him this year and may hook him up to a cart late in the summer. He looks more like his sire than his mom. But we love him just the same. I had posted on here about it at the time but couldnt find the old thread.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have any recent pics of the "boy" :-)

Mary Greer
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you! Ok.. Well I am going to get more pics today and post them up.. Thank you for all of your input. I will not be inducing labor in her.. I am pretty much a first timer at this due to the only other foal I have had born in my name being when I was 9 and the mare showed no signs of being preo..Again thank you so much!

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda wow what an ordeal --thats terrible for you and for the poor mare to go through..
Glad you have her son to keep

Catherine Owen
Yearling
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary, I couldn't help but notice the remark about fescue and your mare. What does your vet say? Is she still on fescue?
I am going to repost here something about fescue poisoning that I posted on another thread.

These fescue mares can be helped.
Clemson University (Clemson, SC) has been a leader in research on infected fescue (since almost all fescue in our region IS infected). They have developed a shot (Equidone) for mares that are either inadvertently left on fescue or fescue is the only forage available.

The direct phone number to the Clemson University Equine Center is (864) 646-3554
The website link is: http://www.clemson.edu/researchfarms/Equine%20Center.htm

From The Horse magazine (04/2006)
"If the mare must be on infected fescue, she can be treated with domperidone (trade name Equidone), a dopamine antagonist that fills the receptor sites where the toxin binds, blocking the receptor sites so the toxin can't exert its effects. Cross says, "The drug blocks the effects of the alkaloid at the cellular level, preventing the ergot alkaloids from interacting with D-2 dopamine and alpha-1 receptors throughout the peripheral tissues of the mare's body."

Domperidone can be given to mares in late gestation. The research and development of domperidone used rats and was done by Cross and his graduate students at Clemson University. In one field study, domperidone was given orally to 1,423 mares on infected fescue. The drug increased serum prolactin and progestogens; mares began to produce adequate milk when the drug was given 10 to 15 days prior to their due dates. Treated mares had live, healthy foals and normal gestation lengths, normal placentas, and foaled normally.

The drug has proven to be safe, with no adverse effects on the foals' central nervous systems. Unlike other dopamine antagonists, domperidone does not cross the blood-brain barrier, and it does not cause nervousness nor lethargy. Equidone is an oral gel produced by Equi-Tox Inc., and is only available through veterinarians by prescription. Dosage depends on severity of the problem.

"You can't treat every mare the same," comments Cross. "In some instances a pasture contains other grasses, while on some farms it's pure fescue. Dosage depends on the amount of fescue being eaten. The main thing is to get mares on the medication prior to foaling. Many mares are removed from fescue 15 to 30 days prior to expected foaling and started on the drug 15 days prior to foaling." Cross holds four U.S. and several international patents on the domperidone technology, and he says Equi-Tox Inc. has funded the expensive regulatory approval process to make the prescription drug available to veterinarians.

Mary Greer
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the vet said she didnt really eat enough to harm anything just enough to slow the colts growth.. she is producing milk normally and was treated successfully for the infection the fescue caused

Kathy had FILLY 3/1/08~ Cooly due 4/4/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Kckcnurse

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda ~ Thanks for that great note and the pictures. Sorry to here that your mare went down hill from that. But I'm happy to see the colt is doing well. ~K~

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US