SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Alfalfa pellets

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Alfalfa pellets « Previous Next »

Emily S
Weanling
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare needs to gain about 100-150 lbs. before her foal is born in April, and my vet told me that I should maybe start her on alfalfa. I can only find it in pellet form though; is this ok to feed? And how much should I give her? I'm also mixing some Equine Senior feed with her Strategy and giving her Mare Plus, so is alfalfa really necessary?

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 938
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 02:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A very good quality grass hay is usually fine or can you find a grass/alfalfa mix? You are better off increasing her hay vs more grain to gain weight.

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 567
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 06:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use the alfalfa pellets/cubes for my gelding in the winter along with his grain. I use maybe 10 whole cubes with a good 2qt+ of very hot water to soak the cubes. He just loves it and he gains weight over the winter...When I have used the pellets I have also added hot water to them. It makes a soup...add the grain...it's yummy. I add the water because the cubes are so dry....and in the winter they need the extra water anyway.

My vet told me that if this did not work, that adding oil to the grain would increase the calories and there will be weight gain.

Catherine Owen
Yearling
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, I feed alfalfa cubes to three of my horses in addition to their grass hay and grain. My yearling filly and two broodmares. I feed them 5 pounds, each, of alfalfa cubes in the evening; roughly that is about 1/2 of a regular sized (20 qt) flat-back bucket. Just think in terms of one 50-pound bag of cubes lasting one horse 10 days.

I soak the cubes with water for about 20 minutes prior to feeding them (just long enough to moisten them, but they don't lose their entire shape and texture). Soaking the cubes or pellets (PARTICULARLY PELLETS) is very important to reduce/eliminate choke.

My one broodmare loves her cubes so much, she will leave her grain for them. The alfalfa will rapidly put weight on one and I find that once a horse is in the condition I want, I can reduce the amount of grain I feed due to the high protein content of the alfalfa (typically 15%). My performance gelding is on just a little bit of grain (so he doesn't feel left out) and the alfalfa and then free choice grass hay/pasture.

Grass hay and/or pasture is still important so the horse gets the roughage it needs.

Jane is also 100% correct about oil. Corn oil in particular. We always feed our show horses corn oil, it adds calories and also helps put a good shine/gloss on the coat.

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 416
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have used the alfalfa that comes wrapped in plastic, like a bale. it is like chopped up loose hay but compressed. I just bought a bag of cubes but did not know I was suppose to soak them, I was just breaking them up in small pieces and feeding them.
I read somewhere that the best oil to use was flax seed oil, that it has the most calories...anybody know about anything about that?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 943
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about flax seed oil but I do use flax seed ground up. A cup a day and the horses look great!

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 203
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IF YOU WANT INFORMATION ON HORSE NUTRITION GO TO DR GETTY .COM SHE HAS A FORUM THAT YOU CAN ASK HER QUESTION ON FOOD AND SUPPLEMENTS AND SHE WILL ANSWER YOU.HERE IS THE SITE
http://pub35.bravenet.com/forum/2983398634/

Emily S
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the flax seed oil or corn oil, do you just mix it in their feed, or what?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 946
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes :-)

Emily S
Weanling

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, should I feed her alfalfa pellets twice a day??

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 951
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It depends on how much you feed her and how you want to do it. I only feed 1 lb of grain a day so I only feed it at night but if you are feeding her 4lbs or more you might want to break it down to two feedings. :-)

Emily S
Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tracy!!

Beth Valen
Nursing Foal
Username: Divaranch

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I definately think the mare would benefit with alfalfa. Feeding the hay would be ideal, usually you can get it from your feed store. If you do use the cubes, like the others said, be sure to soak them. (They should soak for an hour or more ideally, before you feed them).

If you give too much alfalfa too quickly, it can be hard on their system. I'd start with a small flake, or 2# of cubes, twice a day. After a week, then increase. Her nutritional needs are high right now, I'd be looking to feed 12# of alfalfa per day, and all the grass hay she wanted. And grain according to the instructions on the bag.

Did the vet say anything about calcium? The alfalfa will help with that, as well as lysine. Minerals are also very important, as the baby will be getting their minerals through her milk... and her milk can't have the right stuff in it, if the mare doesn't have the right stuff in her....

Beth Valen
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS.

There is NO way your mare will gain 100-150# by April. It's just not possible, not in any safe way.

I think you can get her to gain SOME weight, but it's March 11. Even if she is due at the end of April, that's 45 days. You will be doing very well to help her gain 50-75# by then. You can increase hay to as much as she'll eat, but major changes in concentrates do pose risks.

It's more reasonable to focus on the minerals and nutrients she and the in utero foal need. If she were mine, I'd be using a ration balancer. Since you are already feeding other stuff, I'd have a nutritionist figure out the supplements you need to accompany it... since neither of your feeds is specifically designed to meet the nutritional needs of mares/foals. Not saying they are not good feeds, just that they are different from those that are designed for a pregnant mare.

Emily S
Weanling

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is a ration balancer? I know what it does, but where can I get one and what does it look like?

Beth Valen
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's usually a pellet. I think Purina's is Born to Win, and you could get it where you get your Strategy. That said, they will probably recommend you feed Mare & Maintenance, over Strategy to meet the specific needs of the mare/foal. Strategy is more of a maintenance feed, and your mare has much different needs now.

This chart will give you an idea of how dramatically different the needs are for a mare/growing baby

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/horse/406-473/table4.html

Emily S
Yearling

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the Mare & Maintenance is a grain? I have looked everywhere and I can't seem to find any grain specifically made for a broodmare.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 960
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMF developement is made specifically for broodmares and foals. You can go on their website www.lmffeeds.com to check for a location near you that sells it. I have had excellent results with this feed and you do not have to feed any extra supplements with it :-)

Beth Valen
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think every major feed manufacturer makes something for bred mares and young horses. I know Purina has had Omelene 300 for years, but the Mare & Maintenance is newer. Either would, in my opinion, be better than Strategy. Better yet would be a fixed formula (where high quality ingrients are listed out, not "byproducts" as it the case with Strategy). If there is not a fixed formula, the feed company can use different ingredients, as long as they meet the nutritional analysis figures. This means you might not be feeding the same thing from bag to bag-- it's often the way to produce feed more cheaply...say if oats are expensive, they can substitute corn or barley, or whatever. Purina did not used to do this, but they changed.

You can get a lot of information on feeds from their websites.... why not research what's available at your feedstore? They probably have brochures/marketing information, but if not just go the the manufacturer's website.

Emily S
Yearling

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually bought Omelene 300 today, so I'll start feeding her that. To start her out with it, should I mix it in with her Strategy so her digestive system can get used to it? And once she is used to it, should I just have her on the Omelene and not on Strategy? Sorry, I have so many questions! Lol

Beth Valen
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure how much you feed per feeding. Start by figuring out how much Omelene she should be eating, per the label. if it is MORE than you are currently feeding, then start adding one pound of Omelene to her Strategy, each feeding. (You need to weigh the feed. Just weigh your scoop/can/whatever you measure with empty, then full, and subtract the weight of the scoop.) A scoop of Strategy will weigh more than a scoop of Omelene....

If you don't have a scale, use a 16 oz drink cup to start out. It will be pretty close to a pound of the Omelene.

Wait a week, then feed half of your Strategy and half Omelene. Do that for a week.

The third week, you should be up to 2/3's or even 3/4 Omelene. By the fourth week, if you are out of Strategy, just feed the Omelene. If you still have some Strategy, just use it up, but you'll be mostly feeding Omelene.

Especially because you are also adding at the alfalfa, you want to change somewhat gradually just to be safe.

You're a good horse mom, to be conscientious about doing the what she needs!

Emily S
Yearling

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your help!! This is hard work. Lol. But hopefully it will be worth it in the end!! I should still give her her Mare Plus vitamins with the Omelene right?

Beth Valen
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might as well give them since you already have them....

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US