I have a weird situation with a mare, and want to know what the possibilities are.
17 year old TB mare, has had five foals both by live cover and frozen semen, always settled on first or second breeding until 2006, when we tried frozen semen twice and did not get her pregnant. Since late 2006 we have been tracking a cyst that is located near the left horn of the uterus. It was still there in 2007. It seems not to be fluid filled, but semi solid. We bred her via frozen semen on April 18, 2007. She had ovulated on the left ovary. At 17 day ultrasound no pregnancy, starting to develop follicle on left ovary again. We decided to quit pouring so much money into her and bred her live cover to our stallion. 17 day ultrasound showed no pregnancy but cyst was a bit larger. We suspected that the cyst might have been blocking the sperm from going up the left horn. I was going to breed her back and hope she would ovulate on the right side, but she never came back in heat. Had her ultrasounded again at what would have been about 35 days, no sign of foal. I decided her breeding career might be over. Then on Sept 1 she came in raging heat. At first we didn't want to breed her because it was so late in the year, but finally decided on day three to go ahead. She was covered 3 times e/o day before she went out. About 6 weeks later she started looking a bit pregnant. She does tend to show early as she has a rather svelt figure, but not that early! However we decided she must be pregnant. I did not (for the first time in about 10 years)ultrasound - just plain out of money after three bad years. Now in early March she is looking more pregnant that my other mare who is due in early June. The foal is kicking. It is not fat - I know this mare. She sticks out a lot more on the right than the left and I can feel her ribs fairly easily. I'm wondering if she could have settled on the second breeding? Or the first? She is not bagging up yet. The first breeding would put her "due" in about three weeks, the second in about two months. I'm guessing the second breeding.
Could we have actually covered her live at 4 months along and not disturbed the pregnancy?
Anything is possible! The other thing I would be concerned about is twins. TB's are prone to twins and if she is fairly large that would be a concern of mine. I would have the vet out to ultrasound and confirm pregnancy and possible dates.
The vet will be coming out when she has time, but there isn't much we can do at this point. I had considered the possibility of twins,and that could be, but this mare has never twinned before and we've always ultrasounded. I'm not sure how much we can tell with ultrasound at this point.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: