SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Another stupid question of mine...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Another stupid question of mine... « Previous Next »

Emily S
Weanling
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, I have yet another question for all you experienced horse people out there!! Can you always feel the foal kicking or is it normal to not be able to feel it at all? Or is that bad?? This is my first foal (hopefully!) so I don't really know anything about this!!

(Message edited by cowgrl88 on March 02, 2008)

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 429
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are REALLY patient, I'm sure you could see kicking and movement on every mare. I'm not that patient! I have several mares who's foals I never saw kick. Of course, seeing or feeling a kick is VERY reassuring. If I had just one mare in foal, I would probably be more persistant, but just don't have the time to watch all their bellies for that long. I've found that some foals kick while grooming the mare and others kick towards the end of a grain meal. Keep watching, I'll bet you'll see something. Two weeks before my last mare foaled, I could see quite a bit of movement just in front of her flanks, but only on one side. Watch both sides as some foals kick on one side more than the other, also at the bottom of the belly in front of the udder. Good luck!

Beth Valen
Neonate
Username: Divaranch

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 09:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Usually I don't see/feel a baby moving or kicking. But, the best way to do so, in my experience, is right after the mare takes a drink of cold water. Seems like if you catch them at the trough or bucket, taking a good/big drink, something about the cold water "wakes the baby up"?

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 896
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always seen the foal move when graining and cold water like Colleen and Beth stated. Make sure she's far enough along too, usually 7-8 months. Just stand next to her with your hand on her flank or under her tummy by her udder and you should eventually feel something :-)

Emily S
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I felt a rolling motion underneath her belly. Definitely felt like something!!

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 902
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 01:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds like that's it! :-) As her pregnancy progresses the movement will become more obvious and you will start to see actual kicks.

Catherine Owen
Weanling
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is Superman when you need him!

I think a man with x-ray vision would be really useful in situations like this!

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 409
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily S
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha I wish!!! My vet comes out tomorrow to tell me for sure if my mare is pregnant, so I'm praying!!!

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck Emily, I'm sure you'll have good news!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US