SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Another Udder Question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Another Udder Question « Previous Next »

Shannon Dobsch
Neonate
Username: Pianoforte01

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today I noticed that the right side of my mare's udder is swelled up, about twice the size of the left side.

A little background info:
We bred her at the beginning of June last year, had her vet checked about 19 days after breeding, and she was confirmed in foal. We took her back to the vet several days later and had her checked again and the vet could not find the embryo on the ultrasound, so our vet told us she lost the baby. She has been acting differently lately though and her belly is getting big...so I am going to take her back to the vet soon to get re-checked.

My question is: How soon do mares begin to bag up? I'm sure it varies from each individual, but she should be around the 300 day mark - is that too soon?

I've never noticed a change with her udders when she was in heat. Do mares sometimes have "changes" in that area when they are in heat?

She may very well not be pregnant, and of course I'd need the vet to tell me for sure, but I am just curious about the udders. Thanks!

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 897
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She would be fine at the 300 day mark to start bagging up and that may be what's going on. I have personally never had a mare have udder changes when in heat. Let us know what you do find out. :-)

Beth Valen
Neonate
Username: Divaranch

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, 300 days is pretty much when you would expect a mare that was in foal, to start bagging up. Just a little-- ie the veins bulging and a very modest little bag. Mine are at 302 and 310 today... and they are both making bags. They started about a week to 10 days ago.

TR
Neonate
Username: Tarar

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is a maiden, she is at 270 days and she is getting a little swelling(edema) around the udder area. I have read they can get this a little before they start to develop a bag. I was a little worried, as I thought it was a little early, but you got to love maidens. Her last breeding date was june 9th.

(Message edited by tarar on March 04, 2008)

Shannon Dobsch
Neonate
Username: Pianoforte01

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, now I am trying not to get excited! It would be an answer to prayer if she is indeed pregnant since we'd been trying to breed her for two years now.

I will book an appt with the vet asap and let everyone know! I really appreciate the help!

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 620
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome TR. My maiden mare has edema also. Everyone says its helps if they get some excerise everyday. Do you have any pics of her you can post? What breed is she, and who did you breed her to?

TR
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I have read that excersise helps I took her for a good walk tonight.She doesn't have that big of pen so I am sure that is why she has the swelling, as she stands around all day. She is a QH and bred to a QH stallion, gonna get a sorrel. I don't have any pics right now, but will try to get some in the next couple days. The swelling seems to be really only on one side. We will see how it goes with walking her at night.

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 623
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the name of the stud?

TR
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

majors dapper dan

TR
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just an update. Walking my mare really helped the swelling. She is at 279 now and there is no swelling. She has started to develop a very small udder, but it isn't changing very fast. It has been about the same for the last 4 days. Which is good as she still has a little way to go.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US