SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

I think I have a problem

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » I think I have a problem « Previous Next »

cheri keddy
Weanling
Username: Pepsi

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 01:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where to start, So when Pepsi had her foal, I wasn't there, and she was still in with my coming 2yr old colt. We found the placenta and noticed a few missing spots, we weren't sure if the colt had got into it, or if the ravens were picking at it.

Well today I noticed a white discharge coming from her, so I took her temp and it was 37.1, I took again at 6.30 and it was 37.4, I went up tonight to check on them and I noticed a puddle of pink slim, thick discharge, about 1cup in amount, I then spotted a few more puddles smaller in size

I checked her feet for heat, nothing, I felt her no sweating and I took her temp and it is still normal.

Does anyone know what is going on ? Do I have a major concern on my hands

Jane
Breeding Stock
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 02:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I think I would call the vet for advice anyway if not to get him out for a look....the last thing you want is an infection.
Good luck, I hope it's nothing.

Catherine Owen
Weanling
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri,
Get the vet out. She probably needs to be flushed. Better to catch this early and/or make a big deal about what may be nothing.
I guess I always operate under the better safe than sorry theory.
BTW I just love both your little babies!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri~I too would get the vet it sound like might have retained some placenta and since you did not find the whole thing you can't know for sure. Did you have a vet check after she foaled? If my mare's placenta was not intact my vet would have given a shot then Please call your vet. Thanks, Jan

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks I have a call into the vet and I am just waiting for a return call

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the vet was here, and said it is part of a foaling heat (??) I am questioning this.

He said that because she in not showing any other signs but a discharge and it is too early for an infection to be there, it is usually 18-19 days for that, so he is placing it as foal heat where they will discharge like this.

However he has given me so antibiotics for her

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 879
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long ago did she foal again? Usually the foal heat is 7-10 days after foaling. After the foal was born did the vet come out and look at the placenta?

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She foaled on the 26th, they did look at the placenta and there where a few small pieces missing, but then again he couldn't tell if it was from the ravens or from my colt mucking in it. He looked my mare over and said she was fine

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 886
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did he palpate her and make sure her uterus was empty? It sounds like she could still have some retained placenta.

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 421
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is not too early for an infection, especially if there is retained placenta. Founder is a big problem with these situations so the antibiotics is a really good idea. Keep us posted.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri~I am so glad that you have gotten antibiotics just in case. I would administer them too. Hoping she is feeling better really soon!

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 02:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He didn't do anything to her, didn't even look at her, just told me not to worry about it, she is eating, drinking, no fever, etc, some mares on there first foaling will discharge mucus afterwards and to give her these antibiotics twice a day and if it doesn't clear up in the with in a week he will flush her out.

I checked on her tonight and I didn't see too much mucus laying around, but there was some, but I am concerned with the color of it, it is like a light pink with a brown in it, really weird

Mood Swings
Yearling
Username: Mood_swings

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes! I am shocked a vet would say "it's too early for an infection"! My mare got metritis a mere 24 hrs after foaling :o Good luck with your mare. You are wise to monitor her temp twice daily :-)

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 424
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there is any off colored discharge after foaling, my vet will always flush. He says "Dilution is the solution for pollution".

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just an up date on Pepsi, after a day of Medication, the discharge went back to clear, and now it is completely gone :-)

I am looking for a new vet, as I have learned a lot in the last few days and I am not impressed with my vet at this time.

Catherine Owen
Weanling
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri,
I'm glad she is better --- Keep her on the antibiotics. Like others on this post, I am confounded by the vet not flushing her. Perhaps, breeding and foaling is just not his thing? My regular vet is like that. I love him as an "everyday" vet but breeding, etc. is just not his bag.

Are you going to breed her back this year? You definitely want to get anything cleared up prior to that!

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know he is an old school vet, said breeding is a waste of money, can buy a horse cheaper then breeding one (??)

I don't think I am going to re-breed her this year, HOWEVER I am going to have her re-checked by another vet as if I were going to re-breed her.

I have had Pepsi since she was a baby 6 months old, and she is now 7. If anything happened to her, I would be livid with myself. So I want to make sure that she is OK, I maybe a bit paranoid, but they say "A mothers intuition is always right"

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri, You have done the right thing here. I like Catherine, have a wonderful vet but his passion is not breeding it's denistry but has a partner who is really into the repo side...Best of both worlds.

Mood Swings
Yearling
Username: Mood_swings

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri - I am glad your mare is doing better. I am also glad for you that you are looking at all of your options where your vet is concerned ;) A great vet makes all the difference!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US