SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pregnant or not??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Pregnant or not?? « Previous Next »

Emily Schneider
Nursing Foal
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted this on another topic page but im going to post this on here just in case. I keep worrying about her. I bred my quarter horse last May and a couple of months later, I had our vet come out and take a blood test to see if she was in foal. They said that they saw no sign of her being pregnant, but lately she's gotten really fat in the belly but i can sort of see her ribs cuz all my horses are kinda skinny coming out winter right now. Her belly is really low and she looks very wide from the front and the back. My horse trainer said he's very sure she's pregnant, and he's the one who bred her. She is also eating quite a lot, and she is having a lot of gas and grumbling in her stomach. My vet is coming out this Wed. to do a pap test on her. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily~It would not be the first time that a vet got that wrong :-) Keep us posted...I am sure that you will be crazy till Wednesday! That is one reason I opt for the ultrasound after breeding because usually it lets you know for sure.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 880
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I answered your question on the other post. :-)

Emily Schneider
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 01:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tracy!!

Emily S
Weanling

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have to take the mare into the vet for the ultrasound or can they do it on my place?

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 898
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should be able to do it at your place.

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 179
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EMILY,you should ask your vet, because my vet will not do them any more at home, he said he has been kicked one to many times.

Beth Valen
Neonate
Username: Divaranch

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have my mares ultrasounded at home, but I have stocks. Most vets will not ultrasound without stocks, for safety reasons, unless the mare is very quiet and accomodating.

Emily, I replied to your situation on another section... but by "pap" do you mean palpation? It might be a good idea to gather up your records, so you can review them with the vet. You'll want her breeding dates, her vaccinations, EVA status, possible exposures, etc. You still have time to do prefoaling shots to raise her immunity for the baby, but if she is thin, her ration should be bolstered as well, not only for the mare but for the foal's in utero development.

Emily S
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been giving her two scoops of grain in the morning and evening and I give her vitamins for pregnant mares with her feed. I also give her two large flakes of hay in the morning and evening, as well. Do you think this is enough?

Beth Valen
Neonate
Username: Divaranch

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a lot of grain.... you might want to consider splitting it into three feedings. Is it formulated for a pregnant mare? Your best bet is to use a grain that is designed for the horse you are feeding... and follow the label directions.

For the last trimester, I give my broodmares a large flake of alfalfa 3 times a day (about 12# per day), plus very good bermuda grass-- all they will eat. I use a ration balancer to ensure they have all the vitamins, minerals and amino acids, plus 1# per feeding of sweet feed/crimped oat mix to make sure they don't feel deprived.

You mentioned that she looks thin... so my guess is no, she's not eating enough. Maybe start by increasing her hay? A good rule of thumb is 2% of the mare's bodyweight, or about 20# per day. Since you are only feeding four flakes, you are probably feeding less than 20#, but it depends on your bales/flakes. Typically about 1/2 small bale per day for an average horse, more if it's really cold weather.

If you are not feeding alfalfa, consider gradually adding some. Perhaps a flake once a day for a week, then a add a second flake. If the vet determines she is pregnant, you want to ensure that the fetus is getting what it needs nutritionally. You also want her in good flesh, since so often the mare looses weight while lactating...

Emily S
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it's not specifically designed for broodmares, but I've heard good things about it being fed to broodmares. The vet is coming out on Wednesday, so I guess I'll know for sure what to feed her. It's just hard for me to feed her three times a day since I'm not usually home in the afternoons... I will pick up some alfalfa though, that's a good suggestion. I don't know why I didn't think of that! Thank you

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US