SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Weird Question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Weird Question « Previous Next »

Emily Schneider
Nursing Foal
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so when my pregnant mare eats her grain, she likes to knock A LOT of it out of her bucket, and then after she's done with the bucket, she eats the grain off the ground. Is this normal?

Catherine Owen
Weanling
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, she should meet my gelding Timmie! He thinks that buckets are for beating up. He is so talented that he can take the whole bucket off the bucket hook and he slings it around the stall. Will literally pick it up by the handle and "throw" it.

Either get her a feeder you can "fix" to the wall/fence or a bucket ring will help hold the bucket "stable".

As a side note, if she is like Timmie, she has the talent to take her nose and sling the grain out anyway whether the bucket is fixed/stable or not. I have resorted to getting him one of those big deep tubs (50 gal Rubbermaid) and he can't really sling it anymore.

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 407
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My stallion does the same thing. Can't tell you why. It drives me nuts! I started feeding him in a muck bucket (clean, of course) which helps.

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 582
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily my favorite feeder is this one from Horse Health USA http://www.horsehealthusa.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/supplies/feeders.html?L+scs tore+nsxl8023ff420942+1204243253#145-2992 It is the red wall feeder at the top, model #145-2992. I love mine, it works great.

Emily Schneider
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 01:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol, wow, glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem!! She loves to just push it out of her bucket with her nose. It's crazy! I'll take a look at the new feeders. Thanks!

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 396
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 07:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 2yr old that does the same thing, I put his feed in a heavy ground feeder...he paws at it until he turns it over...it is frustating. He acts like he is angry every time he eats.

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 563
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My older gelding does the same thing, pushes it out of his bucket. The only time that he does not is when I put warm soaked alfalfa in his grain. Then he eats slowly and seems contented. I can't figure out why he does it. I thought he was frustrated...

Catherine Owen
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think my gelding, Timmie is trying to create a new Olympic event

--- THE BUCKET TOSS

Terry Waechter 5 march foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two or three of my mares do it...fling first, eat later....

I have heard putting some large flat stones in the feeder help.

I have a mat under the feeder so they are safe to eat off the ground and can get all the food.

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 156
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've put a salt block in mine so they have to push it around to get the grain. I also have mats to catch the spilled grain but the mat gets dirty and sandy too. I sweep it but its a pain. I feed a heaping tablespoon of Metamucil once a day to help prevent sand colic. Several vets told my this.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mini mare is so talented, she doesn't even need the bucket at all....she'll stick her head right in, turn the whole darn thing upside down, and pour all the feed on the ground, and eat it from there. I found that a wall mounted, deep feeder keeps her from doing this....

Kay, I love baby nova, he is tooooooo cute!!!

Emily Schneider
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How deep of a feeder should I get? I can't seem to find one that looks deep enough, and I've heard it's not good to let them eat in a bucket that's sitting on the ground, cuz it can mess up how they digest their grain. Is this true?

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 935
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use a feed bag they arent very expensive and work great exspecialy for one that paws

Catherine Owen
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, We need to get your mini-mare and my Timmie together in a bucket toss contest! She can wear hers on her head

Emily, it doesn't hurt them to eat out of a ground feeder. If you have a Tractor Supply store close-by I find they stock all sorts of useful buckets, etc. I have one of the 50 gal Rubbermaid troughs that Timmie seems to have difficulty "tossing" and its about the only thing he will eat quietly out of. I figure its better than him throwing his feed all over the ground and eating dirt with it

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, horses eating from the ground is nothing new...LOL They do it all day long in nature, so feeding them in a ground feeder is more than likely safe enough.

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 608
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, you should try the one I posted about from Horse Health USA, it works great.

corina gabel
Weanling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my stud does the paw tell its on the ground then he looks at me like why did i do that. i got a short stick and sat with him durring feedings for about a week. every time he lifts his foot he gets a little light "tap" on the leg near the knee after about 10 or 12 "taps" the area must sting and he stops this took an hour the first night then only a few mins by the 3rd and only the sight of the stick leaned near him. he shifts his weight back and forth but hasnt lifted up the foot in a long time.... more time consuming but the problem is fixed.

make sure you worm regular if they are picking up off the ground especially if its anywere near where they deficate

Emily S
Weanling

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare doesn't paw at it, just likes to knock the grain out of her bucket. I'm pretty sure it's because her teeth need floated, but I was told that I have to wait until after she has her foal because she needs to be tranquilized.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US