SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Foal Moving

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Foal Moving « Previous Next »

Emily Schneider
Nursing Foal
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So where can you really feel the foal moving around in the stomach? Sometimes I think I can feel it moving around but it's hard to tell if it's my mare shifting around or the baby. And can you always feel the foal in the stomach or only in some mares?

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 873
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually feel the foal after feeding if you put your hand in the flank area of your mare. She does have to be about 7-8 months along but you should be able to feel it.

TR
Neonate
Username: Tarar

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been able to feel the foal move from about 7 months. I found it is very noticeable between belly rumbling and a kick if you put your hand just under the belly in front of where the udder would be. If you put your hand on the flank it is hard to determine it the foal is moving or it's the mare breathing or stomach rumbling. Make sure your mare is okay with putting your hand there as mine wasn't to happy the first time I did it, as I am sure I must have grazed her flank. Now she just stands there. It is the coolest thing to feel.

Catherine Owen
Weanling
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My gelding (who is now 14 this year) was really ACTIVE inside his mama. I felt so sorry for that poor mare! At about month 7 or 8, I can't remember exactly (it was sometime around the first of the year and the foal was born on April 16)---I don't know if this colt was trying to practice his jumping or what but this poor mare's sides would just jump and twitch, sometimes the foal would move so much, the mare would turn back and look at her side(s)!

She had two more babies for me after that and I don't remember them being as active as that one was.

When that foal was born, he didn't know a stranger and was up and nursing within an hour! He has always been a bright and gregarious horse and athletic. He is 14 now and still going strong. I don't know if him moving so much inside his mama meant anything or not, but we ALL definitely knew him BEFORE he actually got here.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was really cool Catherine. He sounds like a charactor both inside and out. :-)

Emily Schneider
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's really cool! I was trying to feel on the flank, but it's really hard to tell there, so I'll try it under her belly!

Terry Waechter 5 march foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found the same to be true of my own sons. the first one was so active in the womb it actually hurt me. Every afternoon he would start with the kicking etc. Today he is Mr Energy at age 30. Number two was so quiet I wondered if he was all right...today quiet studious young man, hardly know he is there.

Emily Schneider
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I try to feel under her belly, close to her udder, she kinda kicks her leg up, but she doesn't have her ears laid back, so I'm not sure if it's making her mad or what. Any suggestions with how to do it??

TR
Neonate
Username: Tarar

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just take it slow. start further up her belly and slowy work your way back till she starts to get fusy then stop if she settles go a little more if not take your hand away and try again. It took me a couple days before my mare would let me put my hand there. She did kinda the same thing. Now I can clean her udder and everything. I think it is just a sensitivity thing as when you are training them, it is an area that doesn't get dealt with very often. As long as she isn't pinning her ears and making the actual kicking motion, just be patient with her and she'll come around.

Emily Schneider
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 400
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I brush my girls start on their back and work my way down under their belly, by the time I get there they are so into the brushing they hardly notice.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US