SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Question about a brand of horse feed?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Question about a brand of horse feed? « Previous Next »

Emily Schneider
Neonate
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, so I was wondering if anyone knows if Strategy is a good brand of horse grain? Especially for pregnant mares? Thanks!

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 865
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just posted this answer on the other thread but here it goes again.....I recently had my stallion put on Strategy when he was sent to the trainers and within a month his coat turned dark and shiny with dapples. He looks so wonderful that I'm planning on switching all my horses to Strategy soon :-)

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 544
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feed Strategy to all my mares and love it.

Emily Schneider
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, just checking. Thanks guys!

Terry Waechter 5 march foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

adding my endorsement...Strategy is what I use!

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, this is the only topic I could find close enough for my question. So I board my horses and pay a set fee to include feed, etc. I have been asked to help another barn out in exchange for free/stall board monthly. I will feed weekend mornings and clean stalls...I'm thinking, once Sweetie's baby arrives, this will allow me to maybe keep the baby without having to give up my gelding....anyway, I will have to provide the feed....roughly, what does it cost to feed monthly? Since my board includes feed, I really don't know what to look for.....they feed twice a day and hay I guess....I know the type of hay will decide that cost...I'm just not sure the cost of the grain, etc...thanks, Kim

Emily S
Weanling

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I use Strategy, which is a really good grain and it costs about 9 dollars a bag, if that helps any... Lol. We go through a lot more of it during the winter, of course, so it's less expensive for us in the summer since I only feed the horses grain once a day, and only one scoop in the evenings.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 939
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 02:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm jealous Emily! I pay $13.00 a bag for Strategy

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 664
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QUESTION. Does anyone use Calf Manna or NW mare & foal suppliment? I heard they are good for their milk production and for growing foals, but I'm not sure which one is better.

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

charlene,i was told by a horse nutrionalist(DR GETTY)that calf manna is for cows not horses,she advises to us mare and foal supplements.Just thought i would share.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 941
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have also had bad luck with Calf Manna. I know it has been used a lot with the horse set but I know of someone that used it and it really messed up her foal. I would stay away from it personally. I've never used NW mare and foal but I bet it's fine. :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 666
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your imput ladies. What do you guys plan on feeding your foals?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 942
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use LMF developement, I love it. It's made specifically for nursing broodmares and growing foals. It has every vitamin and mineral you would possibly need so you do not need to supplement with anything else. Check out their website www.lmffeeds.com

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 669
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tracy, I'll check it out. I was just noticing Baby out in her run, and she was swishing her tail like crazy. Then she started walking around in a circle while still swishing her tail, then she started kicking at her belly. When she finally stopped she just stood there in one spot and started yawning. What does all that mean. Is she starting to get close?

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

charlene,dice is on mare plus now,by farnam so i think the foal will be on grow colt by farnam???Has any one used this before??

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 201
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CHARLENE,THAT SOUNDS LIKE LABOR PAINS!!!I SWAS READING A BOOK TODAY THAT SAID IN LABOR THE MARES WILL KEEP YAWNING AND YAWNING WITH ALL THE OTHER THINGS YOU SAID SHE WAS DOING.MAYBE THIS IS IT!!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 671
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 01:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tracy. I bought a bag of the LMF development today. How much do you feed to Tali, and do you plan on keeping her on it until her foal is weaned? If so, then what do you feed her after the foal is weaned? What did you think of Baby's strange behavior today? I think mabey it was just gnats.

Judy, I thought the same thing for awhile. She acted normal a few minutes later. I think mabey it was gnats bothering her. It might be time to bring out the fly spray. Does anyone remember which ones are safe for pregnant mares?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 948
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Charlene, I feed Tali only 1lb of the grain right now but will increase it to approx 3-4 lbs when she is nursing. I do keep her on it as long as she's nursing and then gradually cut her back when it's time to wean. Once I wean the foal I stop completely of all grain until she dries up and then either put her on LMF Super Supplement or Strategy. Obviously you may need to play around with Baby on how much to feed her, it depends on if it's hard to keep weight on her while nursing. Some mares are nice and plump and others it's very hard on so they need more food :-)

I think Baby is getting close, those are all signs of things progressing but unfortunatley doesn't tell is really anything! I have noticed gnats here too and they've been annoying the horses. I think most of over the counter fly sprays are fairly safe for pregnant mares but I can't remember specific names. Does anyone else know?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 673
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tracy, thanks again on your advice. I think all that swiching and kicking at her belly was because of the gnats. She is one of those horses that is very sensitive to bug bites. She get bumps, and sometimes they are big and itchy. She was swiching her tail so hard yesterday that her tail bag and braid came out. Now I'll have to redue it today. Is their bags supposed to be really firm right now? Baby's is like hard as a rock. Ouch!

Mary Greer
Nursing Foal
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im a little late but I had a friend of mine use Grow Colt on a baby of hers last year and it turned out badly for the colt.. His tendons grew too fast and ended up that his bones were not keeping up. In turn the vet said feed him only 2 handfulls of feed 2 times a day and 1 slice of hay 2 times daily til he grew into his tendons.. So for anyone using grow colt be cautious on using it. my friend was feeding the recomended amount for the colts age (5 months)

Samantha
Weanling
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have used LMF Development in the past. But am currently using Omolene 300 for the girls :]

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 209
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MARY,thank you for the info on grow colt,i will NOT be using that now,THANK YOU!!!

Bobbi Govro
Neonate
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use Strategy also (almost all thoroughbred in race training are placed on strategy-excellent balanced feed and less chance of colic). However, I switch my broodmares over in the last trimester to a feed called Youth Growth & Development (has extra "stuff" in it to develop good milk bags). I keep my foals on this for their first 2 years, and I do use Calf Manna..not very much...but AFTER they are weaned. In my opinion, too rich at too young of an age. At 2, I switch them to Strategy.

Phyllis Schroder
Weanling
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 01:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I to use Strategy across the board from stallions and mares to seniors and foals and have been very happy with it except for the recent price hikes, there killing me. It's now $13.15 in my area and that's with my .35 cent discount per bag. It's gone up outrageously lately.
Do beware that if your mare tends to bolt food you may want to wet the strategy and let soak for awhile before feeding. It swells up quite a bit when wet and they can easily choak on it if the tend to bolt food.
As for supplements I don't reccomend them if you are already feeding a very well balanced nutritional diet. You will only throw off the balance and probably end up with to high a calcium or phosphorus ratio and that leads to growth and bone development problems in youngsters. I have seen some horrible effects of swaying the diet to heavily to certain minerals or such from adding supplements to an already sufficient feed program.
Unless your feed is lacking or their is a specific problem to be addressed i would be careful of what supplements I use. Be certain they are made to complement the specific feeding program you are using.
The corn oil and alfalfa are great safe ways to add to her diet and help with the weight gain. Good hay free choice also helps a great deal and nothing beats a good pasture of grass if available.

Emily S
Yearling

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you guys think it's ok if I mix my mare's Strategy and Omelene 300 together? She's done well on Strategy but I was told that I should probably get her on a Mare and Foal feed, so I got the Omelene, but I don't want to change her diet completely. I am also using Mare Plus. Am I giving her too much supplements??

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US