SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pregnant mare's stomach?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Pregnant mare's stomach? « Previous Next »

Emily Schneider
Neonate
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 02:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My quarter horse Berra is about nine months pregnant, and she has a lot of rumbling and growling in her stomach. Is this normal? This is my first foal so I'm worried about everything. Lol

(Message edited by cowgrl88 on February 25, 2008)

(Message edited by cowgrl88 on February 25, 2008)

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 542
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 06:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Relax, she is fine. I wish I had the time to listen to my mare's stomach! Mine live in a 30 acre field and are seen at feed time twice a day!

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 402
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily...YES. My preggos really get the growly stomachs at that point. I think they are genuinely ravenous at 9 months along....pretty much all the time. This is when I really up their feed.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 851
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Emily! Do you have any pics of your mare?

Emily Schneider
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, guys! Yeah I do, but I'm not sure how to show them on here. Lol. I also have another question. She hasn't started to bag yet. Is this normal?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 856
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to upload your pictures to a photobucket account and then you paste the links here.

Is your mare a maiden? A lot of maidens will not start bagging up until close to delivery or sometimes not until after delivery. I wouldn't worry :-)

Erica, Sandy, about 257 days pregnant
Breeding Stock
Username: America

Post Number: 277
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HUH? i never noticed it before. i will have to check sandy and listen to her stomach. im sure she will think im crazy for just sitting there with my ear next to her belly. lol. oh well i think she thinks im already crazy by talking to her stomach and calling out names to see wictch on the possible baby likes best! lol

Emily Schneider
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, thanks! This is my first foal so I'm trying to learn all of the terminology. Is a maiden a mare that's never foaled before? Cuz Berra has foaled quite a few times; she's also 19 years old.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 859
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes a maiden is a mare that has never had a foal so your mare would not be a maiden :-) It's still normal that she has not bagged up yet too :-)

Emily Schneider
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Tracy!! I uploaded some photos of Berra so here they are. I took these last year so she isn't showing yet.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/gerardbutlergrl/Berra3.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/gerardbutlergrl/Berra2.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/gerardbutlergrl/berraeye.jpg

Catherine Owen
Nursing Foal
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily,
She is cute. I love red sorrel with some white. Its my favorite. My husband says he would never guess what my favorite color horse is ---- 3 of our 4 horses are red sorrels with white, my gelding is almost a paint, just not quite!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 861
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's very cute! :-)

Emily Schneider
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys! She is my baby. Lol. I love paints too! I also have an appaloosa mare and a palomino gelding, but I've always loved sorrels. I'll keep your secret, Catherine! By the way, do you guys know if Strategy is a good brand of grain?

Catherine Owen
Nursing Foal
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about Strategy. It is a Purina formula and I have never fed it. I have always had good luck with the Omelenes (100, 200, 300). I feed Omelene a lot (when my feed store isn't out of it and I have to get something else, he is a poor orderer sometimes). I like the Omelene 300 for broodmares and babies. My yearling filly is still on it and she is fat, shiny and getting big :-)

Emily Schneider
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 02:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have not heard of Omelene, but I may check it out. I also ordered Mare Plus Supplement for Breeding Mares from State Line Tack, so I hope that is good. We just found out that Berra is pregnant, because a couple of months after I bred her, I had our vet come out and take a blood test and they said she wasn't pregnant, but it turns out that she is, so I haven't been giving her anything special for pregnancy. I hope it's not too late to start her on vitamins and get her her vaccines!

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use Omelene 200 for my pregnant mare and she looks shiny and healthy. We love Purina products. We always have good luck with their grain. :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 864
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strategy is a great grain. My stallion was recently put on it when I sent him out for training and his coat turned dark and shiny with dapples! Not kidding, amazing transformation. I'm planning on switching all my horses to it soon.

Emily Schneider
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys! We used to use Strategy on my horses a while back ago, but for some reason we switched, I'm not really sure why. I remember that we did have really good results with it though! By the way, I have another question..sorry! How much grain do you guys give your pregnant mares?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 868
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now my mare gets only 2lbs of wet cob a day but will increase it when she is getting closer to delivery and then will be increased again when nursing.

Emily Schneider
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok. That's about what I'm giving Berra. I've been feeding her separately, cuz the other mares try and get her food.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US