SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

5 y/o Maiden Mare pregnant

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » 5 y/o Maiden Mare pregnant « Previous Next »

Mary Greer
Neonate
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bred my mare in march of 07' and she was due feb. 14-20th of 08 but has not had a baby.. She has barely bagged up but today we checked her and with as little bag as she has,when we tried to milk her yellowish fluid came out.. Is this normal?? She has been discharging a very smelly fluid when she urinates too.. I am lost (she is my 1st bred mare in about 8 years) here are before and after pics (links to them) from when I got her and how big she is now.

when we first got her:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/lady/DSCF0440.jpg

about 2 weeks after breeding:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/lady/006_6.jpg

now:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/lady/Picture016.jpg

she has nearly tripled in size (belly) in about 2-3 months

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 540
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She sure does not look in foal to me.

Mary Greer
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She has been preg checked by 2 different vets a total of 6 times to make sure she cwas carrying and they both said each time the baby is small but it is there and alive

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 541
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 06:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How recently was she checked. I just checked a mare way bigger than her who was checked several times last year and she was empty and being breed tomorrow.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary,
I would be concerned about a smelly discharge that it could be a sign of infection, or placentitis (sp). I would get the vet out.

It could be nothing but better safe than sorry. When I bred my mare the first time she was a maiden and nobody believed that she was preganant. Her "due " date came and went.. She was bred only once on March 16, 2002 well She delivered a healthy but very small colt on March 31, 2003..So she went 2 weeks past her bred date and still delivered a healthy foal. He is now 5 and wonderful. So hang in there...

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 849
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would also have the vet out to check if everything is ok. I had a maiden mare that was confirmed in foal 3 times thru her pregnancy but as her due date came she never bagged up and just was not acting like she would have a foal so I had the vet out and she had lost the foal at some point. We somehow missed it (large pasture) and never knew. It may be nothing but better safe than sorry :-)

Catherine Owen
Nursing Foal
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't tell from the head-on shot in the recent pic. Hard to tell how big she is from it. Sometimes they aren't as "wide" as they have "dropped".

I do agree with Jan. I'd be concerned about a smelly discharge

On the size issue, we had a mare that we had two foals from. Each time she was pregnant, she never looked it. She was an athletic type mare and long barreled and just never really "showed" until like at the last couple of months or so, then it was more like she just "dropped". She wouldn't bag up all that early either and it always seemed like an afterthought with her. About a week before she would start to "get her bag on". This mare was an okay mama but I always got the feeling that she would rather be chasing a cow than having a baby.

Mary Greer
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SHe is starting to bag up now :-) I am really happy the baby has been active for the past few days and is settleing in to be born. the last time she was checked she did have an infection but it was taken care of by the vet (about 1 1/2 months ago) so I think that is the deal with the smell. I called the vet and he said he had a mare do the same thing and it was nothing to worry about.. Thank you all for your responses! I will post pics of her and her baby when it decides to come on into the world :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US