SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

I need help asap

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » I need help asap « Previous Next »

corina gabel
Weanling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 05:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok i know wrong place but im in a hurry.

My colt (8 months) went down with what seems to be colic around 5 tonight, the vet was called as he seems to be haveing seasiurs. Just floping down and uncontroabley from side to side. Mind you i dont trust the vet from bad experiences before but there the only ones. The vet thougth colic she began treating with seditive and what ever i wasnt there. The colt was so heavly sadated the vet said it should knock out a grown horse and still he sniffs his belly they flops over and rolls. then winds up with his feet up on his back and his head going strage directions. HE got up and pooped at 6 and 1:30pm with no real apperent problem.

The vet sayes its an ulser, brought on from stress from a recent injury, we have not changed diet, our done anything with him in 3 motnhs except make it easy for him to eat. no mold or anything that could have made him sick and not the two that are with him. It makes me cry to seem him this way and we are pushing for putting him to sleep as the sedatives are bearly takeing the edge off his pain. She has him on gastric aid and peopto.

Ohh other symtops are slight bloating in the last few hours, gas, teath grinding,not eating much sence early morning and he is making a slight grunting noise but doesnt appear to be pushing.

Please if anyone has had an ulser or might have any suggestions for me please let me know right away.
208-512-1806
or i will check back in a few
Again he is pooping with out struggling

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 538
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 05:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would get him to the nearest university. I have had horses with severe ulcers and unless you have noticed change in his appetite as in nonexistant then I would have to think no to ulcers.

Michele
Yearling
Username: Mich

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The second last paragraph where you describe the symptoms sounds very much like Tetanus. Has he had regular Tet shots?

corina gabel
Weanling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Testus shot and boster was supose to be given last week but i jsut bought it two days ago and was going to give it yesterday. his appitite was gone last night. Last week other then he wouldnt touch his grain with the meds but he would eat it with out, but the other horse wouldnt touch it eather, but nothing before this. I would love to take him to WSU but right now its not an option. He will not trailer.
He got an absess a few weeks ago but strangly enuff it was under skin, from bumping on the feeder we were told. He has been recieving antibiotics and bute once. She seems to think that the stress from that is what caused the ulsers.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he had or has and absess, it could be tetanus. Can you ask the vet if that's what's causing his problems?

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 841
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why won't he trailer? He's 8 months right, you can get him in a trailer if it's a life and death situation which it sounds like. This horse needs to get to a equine hospital ASAP. Please keep us posted as I'm sure we will all worry!

Heather Cooke
Yearling
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bute and the antibiotics could have brought on the ulcers. I would ask your vet about putting him on probotic paste, Ranitidine(Pepsid) or cinamitedine (Tagamet) and pepto bismol, crush the pills and mix with corn syrup squirt it in his mouth, don't put it in his feed. Try not to put anything in his feed he might not like.

I had a colt that came down with an ulcer at around 8 months of age, after he had been on some antibiotic for a snotty nose. I gave him probotic paste, cinamitedine (Tagamet - I got the generic from the Family Dollar Store) and pepto bismol. My colt wouldn't eat if I gave him a scoop of feed but if I put 1 cup of beet pulp with a little feed in his feed tub he would eat that. So I fed him one cup every hour or two for about a week then increased the amount gradually and decrease the number of feeding per day.

After he started eating 4 meals a day I put probotic powder and a handful of calcium carbonate in his beet pulp and feed every feeding for the next 2 years. I got the calcium carbonate from a local feed mill, it was cheap about $5 for 50 pound bag. When every he had to have antibiotic, bute or banamine I give him cinamitedine or ranitidine and probotic paste. Every time I worm him I give him probotic paste for for a couple of days.

Mood Swings
Yearling
Username: Mood_swings

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is his gum colour like? This sounds serious I too wouldn't hesitate to get him to an equine hospital. "He won't trailer" sounds like a lame excuse (forgive me), especially if your vet has sedated him heavily. What are the chances he has colitis? Sounds like something my 8 month old weanling went through (and sadly he didn't make it).

Best of luck to you!

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 392
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corina... how is your colt? I just saw your post, any update?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US