SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Cleanig Udder

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Cleanig Udder « Previous Next »

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Weanling
Username: Raknrydr

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been taking baby oil and rubbing it in real well on my mares udder and between her teats were all the smegma builds up. I put it on in the morning and then turn her out in the pasture for the day, then in the afternoon I take a bucket of warm soapy water=dove liquad and a washrag and clean her up and the crud just falls off.

Does anyone see any harm in doing this ?

Because it sure does work good without hardly any effort at getting her squeaky clean and soft to boot.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 804
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see any harm for right now but when it gets closer to foaling I would either use Nolvasan solution diluated with water or just plain water. Baby oil is harmful it gets in your lungs so you wouldn't want the foal nursing off a teat that had baby oil on it.

cheri keddy
Nursing Foal
Username: Pepsi

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use babywipes, non-scented, chemical free kind to clean my mares, and at night time I use a wet cloth, with no soaps

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I swear you would think products made for a human baby would be safe. Read on the back after your post on lung irrations, it had a warning.
I was not planning on cleaning that way when it was close to time for foaling anyway, but it sure is easy, usually by the end of the day when I bring her in to stall her and clean her up all the stuff has just fell off on its own, all I have to do is clean up the baby oil residue.

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Weanling

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can see in this photo a couple of days ago the build up between her teats. Also the skin around her teats is getting flabby, but the teats are still sucked up there, I guess this is the first stages of udder development, she is at DAY 290 today.
http://inlinethumb27.webshots.com/40026/2934505720048868759S425x425Q85.jpg

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 536
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracy I was planning on using the Nolvasan solution also. Do you remember what the dilution ratio is, and would the dilution ratio be the same for dipping the umbilicord?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 809
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes I swear the mares are as dirty as a male's sheath!

Charlene, I believe it's 2:1 ratio and yeah I use the same for dipping the navel. Don't worry too much though, the first time my mare foaled I used straight Nolvasan( I didn't know I was supposed to dilute it!)and everything was fine :-) My vet teased me about it but even he said it really won't hurt anything.

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok,you know some one was gunna ask..is the 2:1, 2 percent nolvasan and 1 part water???

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 811
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes :-) That is exactly right Judy.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 812
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I should explain more, if you used 8 oz of Nolvasan you would add 4 oz of water so just 1/2 the amount of Nolvasan you use.

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 538
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tracy. I couldn't remember what it was.

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 146
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANK YOU TRACY.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 814
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome :-)

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been writing info down in a notebook on differnent things I think I need to know, and I had ran across where JOS said 3:1 with sterile water.
Also I have heard some people say to dip there hooves too ?
Which is it or does it really have to be that precise. Any one do the feet to ?

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 392
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

never heard of dipping the hooves. I don't dilute the Nolvasan before dipping the cord. Our vet said to use it straight. We've never had a problem with it. Guess there are a lot of opinoins out there.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 820
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have also never heard of dipping the hooves, do you know what the reason would be for? I'm sure there are some variables when it comes to diluting the Nolvasan and different opinions. I bet they are all ok :-)

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 999
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would you dip the hooves?

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Weanling

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I read it on a old post on here, someone asked about dipping the hooves and said they were told to do it.

So I have no idea were it came from or why it would be done, just thought I'd throw that out there.

I hope to do as little as possible, but want to make sure I do the necessary things.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally would not dip the hooves. When baby is born the have what looks like "slippers" or soft tissue hanging off of them so that they can slip outside of momma with as little damage as possible. But the get hard and those sort of disappear rather quickly. Definitely do the imbilical stump!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US