SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Excessive Hair Loss and Excessive sweating in prego mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Excessive Hair Loss and Excessive sweating in prego mare « Previous Next »

Buffy
Neonate
Username: Destinyfarm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 02:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a problem mare. She is due to foal at the end of April. Two weeks ago, during a "warm" winter day, I found the mare, wet on her white markings(she is a pinto). She was eating, drinking, guarding her feed, pooping, etc. I watched her for the rest of the day figuring she had a mild colic earlier. Later that night, I checked her and she was dripping wet with sweat. Knowing the temp was going to drop 30 degrees over night, I put a cooler on her and put her in the barn(warmer than outside by 10 degrees). I watched her all night. Vet told me to give her bute that night. She didn't have a temp and her pulse was normal. Normal gut sounds. Not acting colicky either.
By morning, she was acting like she wanted to lay down and picking up her hind feet(not sure if it was because I had put a blanket on her for the first time). I ended up taking her to the vets that evening. Vet said everything was normal...except the excessive sweating. Baby was moving a lot and cervix was closed. Vet gave her Banamine. No change thru the night.
I started turning her out during the day with her herd as she was starting to stock up.
Turns out she would sweat at night in the barn(away from the domainant horses) and relay when she was near them outside during the day. When she is in the barn, I take off her blanket and when she gets turned out, she has a winter blanket on.
That was about 2 weeks ago. About a week ago the mare started to shed her winter coat(too early as we still have 2 months of winter left)The past two days, so much hair has come out that she has bald spots on her shoulder, barrel and girth.

I don't know what to do with her. I'm afraid she going to lose her winter coat. I've read it could be allergies...can I give a pregnant mare, antihisamine?

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 604
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buffy, you will find that some pregnant mares will start losing their coat the last couple of months before giving birth. I have a mare due around the same time mid April and she is shedding also. My barn is warm so I do not blanket my horses but she is still shedding more so than the others. I would think just keep putting a winter blanket on her when she is turned out to help compansate for her shedding.

Kay B. Jones, Topi due 3/1
Yearling
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine is sweating and shedding too. She is due in 19 days. Other than that seems fine.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 952
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my gosh Kay, that's right Topi is very close. I'll bet you're really getting excited! It's been a long 11 months, but here you are... Your mare is going to do great and so are you! Yea!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Marilyn! Couldn't have done it without all of you. HOnest!! You all calm my nerves, I just can't express what a life saver this posting has been for me. I think it will help in raising Nova, too. Don't know much about baby foals either. Sometimes I think, " What am I doing, what have I gotten myself and some poor little baby into." I guess everyone has had a FIRST. Yes, 11 months has been long. Especially, since I started breeding 3 years ago. Tried two years with my elder mare and lost one last year with Topi. But only positive vibes are excepted with Nova and lots of prayers. I hope it is OK to pray for something like this. I've prayed for her to get pregnant, then keep it, now to have an easy birth and healthy baby and mom, then for my other two to accept it. God must think I never quit asking for something. I've asked to be able to see it born but that's the least wish out of all of these. ( But I really do want to see it)
I'm going to be nuts when she starts showing even more signs.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 958
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my gosh Kay, I feel exactly how you feel. It's weird to see in someone else's post exactly how I feel. I've prayed what you've prayed, I totally relate to your post.

I believe God loves his creatures, big and small and he put them on this earth for us. I think he's loving the way you care so deeply for your mare and foal, I think this makes him very happy. I wouldn't worry about praying for the health and welfare of your horses, he loves them too.

Don't worry Kay, God will protect your mare and your little foal and he'll be there for you too. I will pray for you and your mare and I'll pray God will give you peace of mind that everything will be just fine, because it will!!

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 387
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a mare foal in March a couple years ago, she would sweat in her flanks and on her chest...alot. It went on for about 2 weeks. She also lost all her hair in spots. She was fine in the end. Healthy foal and mare. I was told the sweating was from the baby positioning itself and that the hair loss could be from a lack of a mineral or vitamin in her diet.

Buffy
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do know that mares in foal shed earlier than most horses but this mare is shedding 2.5 months earlier AND she has NO HAIR to replace the hair that has fallen out....just skin! Now she HAS to wear a blanket because she is cold. The barn is -7C and she shakes. She did have a -40C coat.
She gets Hoffmans Minerals as her supplement.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed this AM that Topi looked a little strange in her girth area. Looked more sunken in than normal. Baby is really poking out in stomach area. His little bottom is making a large lump. It moves when you press it. Topi sure looked miserable this AM. Just exhausted and mopey. I stalled her last night and I think she was depressed she wasn't with the others. 19 more days till due date.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 850
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i WOULD SAY ITS A HORMONE THING WITH HER HAIR. PREG MARES DO SHED OUT EARLIER THAN MOST AND THIS IS PROBABLY JUST AN EXAGERATION OF THIS THAT WILL MEND ITSELF WHEN SHE FOALS. i HOPE ANYHOW ITS JUST A GUESS.

Buffy
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 04:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vet I have been speaking to about her, isn't really sure what is going on but is guessing it's hormones too...and figures it is associated with the excessive sweating she was doing two weeks ago.
Play it day by day...going to name this baby Stressful!

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 852
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buffy thats funny. if it makes you feel better my stallion, although not bald, never got a winter coat at all and he cant blame it on hormones. lol Keep us posted

Buffy
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 02:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The past week has been very mild out which I'm happy about. I have kept the mare outside(where she is most comfortable) with a winter blanket on. I'm please to inform you, she is starting to grown a coat...at least she has fine white hair...instead of the pink skin I was seeing last weekend.
I will keep you posted.
Jenni, why didn't your stallion grow a winter coat? Where are you located?

Laurie A Beltran
Yearling
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,
It's relieving to see that some symptons are all ok, My mare Spring who is by the way 21 years young! opps who will be 22 this March on the 26th I couldn't have asked for a more perfect healthy mare she is my life, and my love. Without her I couldn't have faced many hurtful and stressful situations she has always been there to let me cry on her, hang on her and run with her side by side! ok I'm about to cry SO! I would like to add to this post I too noticed her shedding?? she still has a coat I just thought that Summer was going to be here faster?? I want to thank everyone here for writting all about there mares and about anything else going on in thier lives. ... May each of us have a easy healthy delivery!!! Springs due date is coming much to fast... 04-17-08 :-)

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 554
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Laurie, I thought you had a mare Lalique, that is 21 and prego. I'm getting confused. Do you have two mares due?

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 932
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have no clue why he didnt grow a winter coat. I am located in western Arkansas

Laurie A Beltran
Yearling
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CHARLENE,
I had a pre purchase agreeent with the Arabian breeder that Lalique could become pregnant, well she couldn't and I had to take her back! I still keep in contact with the farm as she become close to my heart!
Spring was 21 years young when I bred her. She was covered 1 time! :-) Spring is going on 22 next month! She is a WAR HORSE! Strong!!!!! I am blessed!

Ps-Give me an update on yours?? Are you getting excited?? Scared?

L

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US