SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Maiden Mare 325 days a few questions

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Maiden Mare 325 days a few questions « Previous Next »

cheri keddy
Neonate
Username: Pepsi

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 7 year old Paint mare, bred to a 17.2hh Spotted Draft Stallion

she is 325 days, and she has waxed up and now we have one with clear/cloudy fluid, and the other with Milk.

Is this normal? Will She be having the foal soon?

Any help greatly appreciated

cheri keddy
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[IMG]http://i30.tinypic.com/2d15z46.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/90c21d.jpg[/IMG]

Erica, Sandy, about 234 days pregnant
Breeding Stock
Username: America

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri could you retake the photos i cant really see what it is. But i think your mare will be ok. im not an expert pretty much every one knows that lol.
But i know that a normal gestation is from 320 to 370 adn that maidens can go longer or shorter then mares that have gone before. But it sounds like you are getting close. i dont know the colors but i know after a mare waxes she usally foals 24 to 48 hours after. i think.

GOod luck and keep us posted

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 744
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri, don't leave your mare! :-) It sounds like she is very close, once the milk comes in they usually deliver within 24 hrs. I'm very excited for you! Do you have any pics of your mare?

cheri keddy
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 01:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do have a few of her well a lot but I will share a few of them

This is of her before she was bred
[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/x80as.jpg[/IMG]

Here are few body shots taken the other day of her

side shot
[IMG]http://i29.tinypic.com/29w8yfq.jpg[/IMG]

Bum shot
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/10789bn.jpg[/IMG]

Udder shot, it is hard to see in these photos, but they are pretty full

[IMG]http://i29.tinypic.com/2l915q1.jpg[/IMG]

I am just heading up to the barn to check on her again

cheri keddy
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 01:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I just spent 45 minutes giving her a belly and a butt rub , she seemed a bit loose around the vulva but not too much, she passed a lot of gas, and the baby was moving around a lot

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 354
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful mare! She's real short coupled the way I like em. Looks like all systems are go. She could hold on that way for a week or go in an hour. Have you checked her milk today? If it is completely opaque, she's probably going to go.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri~ Very Pretty mare!I am sure that will be one loud baby :-) You are getting close! Very exciting!

cheri keddy
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you

I checked her this morning, all is the same, her one side is cloudy but the other is milk.

I tried to lift her tail to see her resistance and she would stop it from coming up, so she isn't very relaxed

I forgot my camera in the house but will take some photos of her today

cheri keddy
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here some photos taken today
[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/2mfhjpk.jpg[/IMG] belly

[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/defxu.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/seljc3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i30.tinypic.com/iw2990.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i26.tinypic.com/23kq6b4.jpg[/IMG] Milk
[IMG]http://i25.tinypic.com/a47ho2.jpg[/IMG] Clear in other
[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/2mov9tk.jpg[/IMG] Udder

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 421
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cheri, I just love her udder pics. one pink and one black, too cute. She is a very pretty mare, nice confomation and love her markings. What is her registered name, and who did you breed her too? Looks like it won't be too much longer. A breeder friend of mine say she always takes their temperature morning and night. As soon as it drops below normal, she says "don't leave her side". She swears by this method. If you try it, let me know if it works. Is your mare a maiden? She is carring her baby just like my mare is. Is this your first time breeding? It's mine.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 756
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are sooooo close Cheri!! When my mare's milk turned like that she would fill up and then start dripping about a day later. Once she started dripping she would deliver that night. I'm very excited for you!

cheri keddy
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene- Thank you, Her registered name is codys showg girl, I bred her to my old Premium Spotted draft. Yes she is maiden, and it is my first foal as well. I have another mare due a few weeks after Showie. I also bought a well bred Doc buckskin tobiano colt that I am hoping to re breed her to this year if all goes well.

I will try the temperature taking and let you know how it works out for sure

Tracy, I am so excited, I am always checking on her, and checking her milk color 3 times a day, I don't want to miss her foaling

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 424
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri, my mare is a bs paint dun, so therefore I belong to APHA and looked up your mare's pedigree. I noticed she is a grullo/tobiano, and born in 2000. That is so kool, cause my mare was also born in 2000 and is a bs paint dun. I'm hoping her baby will be a tobiano grulla. What color is your draft? What is your other mare's name and breed? My mare is 296 days today. Here are some pics of her on 2/1/08[IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/P1010049-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/P1010044-1.jpg[/IMG]

cheri keddy
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow she is beautiful Charlene who did you breed her to, I think when they registered they did wrong, because she is more dun then grulla

The draft was Black and white, had 4 white stockings, big white blaze, and large white ring around his butt.

My other mare is BS Paint, and she is blue roan she is 310 days along and is not enjoying it all, she has become very grouchy. Her registered name is diablos done it again

Here is a picture of her, they aren't the best as I said she is not enjoying being in foal at all

[IMG]http://i30.tinypic.com/4qj4tv.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/10r1md3.jpg[/IMG]

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 427
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cheri, I bred her to A TRU ROLEX. Sounds like your baby will be a grulla tobiano. Your blue roan mare does look grumpy. Is she a maiden too?

cheri keddy
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes she is maiden as well. She has changed completely since being bred, I do not know if she will bred again, we will see how she is once the foal is born

Emily West, Gracie Due 04/11/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 381
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri,
I am jealous. I always wanted a Dun or Grulla tobiano Paint. She is very pretty. My mare is sorrel Tobiano and she too was born in 2000 and is a maiden. :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 429
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri, I'm sure she will be fine how old is she?

cheri keddy
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Emily, she has turned out to be a great mare, with the kindest heart

Charlene she is 7 well 8 this year. I think she will do good

Pepsi is 6 and I have not ever in my live seen her like the way she is being, I have owned her since she was 6 months old. Here is a Picture of Pepsi the other day when I tried to take photos of her, she grinds her teeth, pins her ears at you and gives you a warning to get away

[IMG]http://i30.tinypic.com/10wsg2x.jpg[/IMG]

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 360
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 08:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh...poor Pepsi. She seems like a very unhappy girl. Give her lots of carrots and reassure her it is almost over. Sounds like she doesn't want to do it again, LOL! I hope you get something good from her.

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 545
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, now I have a personality with a face!!!! I can't wait to see how dear Pepsi does. She really needs a hug.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 759
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AHHHH poor Pepsi :-( She needs lots of treats and love :-)

cheri keddy
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes she needs a lot of TLC, I have a lady that comes out and does some energy release work on her. I am not sure if it is working or not, because she is still cranky. I am sure she just wants this baby out, but she is only at 311 days

Showie this morning was dripping milk, and when she moved it was a stream line coming out. Her vulva seemed a bit relaxed and red in side, I thought she felt warm to touch like almost getting ready to crack a sweat.

She is still resistant with her tail, but you can see the baby is more active

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 762
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so excited Cheri! When my mare started dripping milk she would deliver that night. I bet it's tonight!!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 432
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri she sounds very close. Have you been taking her temperature? I hope my mare don't go at 327 or so days. My daughter is scheduled to have sugery at Childrens Hospital in Seattle on 2/27/08, and I will be there with her of course for about 5 to 7 days. 7 days would be 3/5, Baby will be at day 323. My husband will be home, but he won't know what to do. This really worries me. He can't go because he does't have any sick leave or vacation left, and I do. I think I'd better make him read some of my foaling books asap. Please let me know when your mare has her foal. I'm very excited for you.

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI,HOPE THIS IS OK TO PUT DICES PICTURES HERE,I DIDNT SEE ANY PLACE ELSE.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/judycervantes/005-3.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/judycervantes/003-1.jpg

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 765
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene, if you don't mind me asking, what is your daughter going to Children's for? I feel like I've been living there lately. My 5 yr old had a minor office procedure on his penis (ouch!) and then my 7 yr old had a tonsillectomy. Then my 5 yr old was in the ER for possible appendicitis (was just a stomach bug), then my 7 yr old was in the ER for stomach pain (constipation and gas) so yeah, I know Children's well! Also my brother's inlaws are the head ER doc and head RN there. They know their stuff and Children's is great!!!! Your daughter will be very well cared for.

Judy, Dice is looking good!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 434
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Judy, Dice is really getting big. She looks great.

Tracy I don't mind you asking, but it's a long story. We found out that she has Chron's disease and congential malrotation. After trying several medications over the past few months her doctor( Dr Wabeah) suggested sugery to fix it. Her surgeon's name is Dr Waldenhousen, have you heard of him? If your interested I could explain it better if you want to call me. I get off work at 10:30am tomorrow, so I should be home by 11:00am or so. If you don't want to call, no biggie. My cell number is (360)460-6315.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 767
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene, I would love to talk to you. I have a dentist appt in the am with the kids and then I'm off to go see Reggie but I will take down your number and give you a call if I have a chance. Don't worry though, she is in excellent hands. I had great experiences there and couldn't be happier with all the Dr's and nurses.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 437
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tracy. I hope your right. The surgeon said he has done lots of sugerys for malrotation and Chron's disease before, but never on a paitent that has both. Dr. Wabeah said she is about 1 to 3 percent of patients that has ever had both at the same time.

cheri keddy
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 01:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well no foal YET, we did a foal kit test today on the milk and it ranged in at 24-48 hours. So tonight when I went to do the 10.30pm snack, I noticed she hadn't eaten all her dinner, a lot of small poops, Udder is full, no indents or nothing, a few kicks to the belly and a lot of heavy breathing

ohhh I think we going to have a baby

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 444
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you mean it ranged in at 24-48 hours? Are you saying that according to the test she should foal in 24 to 48 hrs? Are you using the predict a foal kit? Keep us posted if and when you can. I'm so excited for you. Have you been taking her tempature?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 769
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene, how are you doing? I got home very late last night, I didn't even check the board :-) Anyway, you have been in my thoughts, when does your daughter go in again?

Cheri, do you have a foal?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 447
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are all fine thanks. Her sugery is scheduled for the 27th, but they want her there the day before. I wonder if they will let me stay that night of her sugery with her in her room.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 772
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will be able to stay with her, they are very good there and understand your feelings. I was able to go with my son when he had his ultrasound and when he had his IV put in. Every room is private and has tv with movies and cable to keep the child entertained. They really are great there and your daughter couldn't be in better hands :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 455
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tracy. I'm gonna call them tomorrow just to make sure.

Rebecca Kate Smith, Skeetles due 2/29
Yearling
Username: Beccasmith

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cheri!! i need updates! hows showie doing?

cheri keddy
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene Yes the test is suppose to mean she is fully ready to foal in that time range, but if she doesn't foal to night then that is 48 hours

Showie is still holding off, I noticed tonight her vulva is more relaxed and very dark pink inside, I will check her again at 10.30 tonight and hopefully some things start to progress more

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene~I will be praying for your daughter's surgery. You will be able to stay with your daughter at the hospital. One of my sons at the age of 7 ended up in the hospital in traction for a broken femur for 4 weeks and I spent every night in the hospital with him. You will be the best nurse your child can have.

Cheri~GOOD FOALING VIBES!!! Hope you have a foal by morning!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 460
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 01:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jan. That means alot. I hope your right about being able to stay in her room with her. They said she will be in there for 5 to 7 days, and I can't afford to stay in a hotel.

Cheri, that's what I thought. I'll be keeping you and your mare in my thoughts, that she will have a healthy foal and a normal delivery. Please keep us all posted.

cheri keddy
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well no foal, she is at 331 days today. Good thing I didn't invest in the foaling test kit

Charlene- I hope all goes well with your daughter. I am sure she will be in excellent hands, and will come out of there spry as every

I haven't started started taking her temperature, as I thought} she was going to foal the other day, however I do plan on doing things different with Pepsi, and taking the temperature and keeping up to date daily charts on her.

This is my first time at all of this, so it is a learning thing for me as well

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 462
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cheri I know Ashley will be in good hands. How is Showie acting this morning? Is she eating and acting normal? What did the last test strip say?

cheri keddy
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi charlene
Showie was the same old horse this morning, no real changes with her at all, I did notice the belly looked more dropped today though, and a few looser stools, I am going up in a few more minutes for their bed time snack and will re check her.

We did two foal tests, and both said 24-48hours (?), I guess they were wrong

Well maybe we will have a Valentines Baby

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 483
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 01:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cheri, Can you post some pics of her belly, udder, etc.? What kind of foal tests did you do? Have you been taking her tempature? I'm telling you my breeder friend swears by it. A Valentines baby would be awesome!

cheri keddy
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure what the foaling test name was, as a friend of mine came over and did it.

I haven't been taking her temperature, but I will be starting today.

I have started to take it on my other mare though

Here are some pictures from yesterday

[IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/23tl7nl.jpg[/IMG] udder

[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/1zd8zub.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i25.tinypic.com/29xt7gh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/59wifo.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i25.tinypic.com/121pcw4.jpg[/IMG]

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 491
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri, Showie is such a nice looking mare. Her udder is really filling out. Is there any wax yet? Tell me what her morning and evening temps are, I'm curious. How is Pepsi doing? Is she still really grumpy? What is her due date? This is getting so exciting I can't wait!

cheri keddy
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks charlene. She waxed up weeks ago, and then about a week ago, she was dripping milk.

I will let you know tonight what her temperature is, once I take it and follow up in the morning as well.

Pepsi is doing good, oh ya she is still grumpy. Pepsi is due March 7th, and Showies is Feb 21st

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 508
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Cheri, how is Showie doing this morning?

cheri keddy
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still no baby and no signs of one coming. I will take a few up dated photos this afternoon

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 795
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those maiden mares will slowly drive you crazy! Hang in there, we are all in this together :-)

cheri keddy
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Tracy, A bale of bedding straw is 14.00$ here, and I seem to be going threw it pretty fast, with all this false labor

Here are some photos from today
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/2w4mbf6.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i30.tinypic.com/9uq6pw.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i25.tinypic.com/2prbskz.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i25.tinypic.com/29wpyqh.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/6nrxwy.jpg[/IMG]

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 514
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's getting close, but I don't think she's quite cooked enough thoughWow, and I thought the price of straw was bad here($4.00-$8.00) I haven't bought mine yet. How often are you going through a bale? I'm wasn't sure how many I should get.

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CHERI,THATS COOL SHE HAS ONE CHOCOLATE MILK AND ONE REGULAR MILK. LOL. SHES LOOKIN GOOD.

Diana Gilger
Yearling
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you really can't look at that pic without thinking to yourself..."chocolate or vanilla?" haha...I have an appy mare with the same thing.

Diana Gilger
Yearling

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene, I noticed you asked about the temperature thing a few days ago....and YES, it works...I've done it this way for a while. But you must first establish a base line over the last 2 weeks or so before foaling. It'll usually change by 2 degrees or so within 12-24 hrs of foaling.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 520
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, Diana when you say establish a baseline do you mean her normal temp? It's supposed to drop by 2 degrees or so right?

Diana Gilger
Yearling

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<-----Goes to barn in jammies.....
(I was dared to tell you, and for those of you who really cared....yes, it's true, I take my girls treats, and scratch prego bellies every night)
Charlene, yes, her baseline will be normal temp for her (I have one mare who's 1 degree colder in am than pm) That's ok. The night she foals, EVERYTIME, her pm temp has dropped 3 degrees....put that together with all your other tell tale signs, waxing, milk changing, vulva red on inside (sometimes that happens days before), and behavior changes...and you'll not miss the foaling. Is Baby close to your home where you can watch her thru the night on cameras? I have my horses within 300 ft of my back door, so I probably obsess more than most...but the most significant change I see is in behavior. I have only one who refuses dinner before foaling, but every single one of them makes some change in their sleeping arrangements. A couple of weeks before foaling, they are very sleepy girls...yawining constantly...laying out flat to sleep, and napping during daylight alot. Then the night before foaling every one of my mares will stand all night long, no laying down at all. If they do go down, they give it a quick half roll, and get right back up .(I believe it is uncomfortable after the foal has left the transverse position) I think the behavioral changes are a little more noticable in minis....just because they are spoiled rotten litte primma donnas...but if you have your mare close enough that you can obsess constantly over her like me, you'll notice definite changes.
I can't wait to see your foal, your Baby is a gorgeous mare!

Diana Gilger
Yearling

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH, and has anybody else noticed that the mares get itchy feet shortly before foaling??????I know it sounds strange (only to those of you who haven't seen this) A couple of mine scratch their front feet with their teeth alot when very close to foaling. It's how I know it's time to start watching them seriously. Anybody else's do this? My husband thinks it's just because they're itchy from the weather getting warmer and shedding. I swear it's something to do with foaling....???

Yearling

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

diana!! i know exactly what you're talking about. she has a short neck so she cant reach her feet, but she has been scratching her front legs ALOT! i though maybe my mare was just being weird. i also go out into the barn in my jammies. my apartment is attached to my barn, so it's a simple open of a door for me to see my mare. it's literally 5 ft from my bed to my mare.

Diana Gilger
Yearling

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that's a cool setup! And I have to admit, when it's below 30 degrees, I am more than happy to hand out treats....but the girls would have make their way to the house to get them! LOL

Terry Waechter 5 march foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

something my mares do is make faces...some are chewing, licking faces...others are lip twisting, head shaking, and other strange expressions....does anyone else have mares that do these things

Diana Gilger
Yearling

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have one who shakes her head the evening before foaling...puts it all the way to the ground, and shakes it all the way up! The constant yawning is what most of mine do.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 799
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 02:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also go out to the barn in my jammies and slippers. I usually feed in the am in my jammies too :-) My horses also get treats every day and I spend a few moments every night with them as my way to say good night. My hubby thinks I'm nuts but he's used to it now :-)

Yearling

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

terry -- my mare does those weird yawning things. where she tilts her head, shakes it and yawns. but it's not a normal yawn, it's like an extreme yawn.

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well on Weds night Showie had her foal, around 7pm under the full moon and the eclipse.

We have a little colt, looks to be grulla, but had to see it in the photos.

We had a hard time with him, as he wouldn't nurse, so we had to bottle feed him for a while, and then force him on to the teate after we got past the crucial stage.

Here a few photos of my boy, and I am looking for names
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/245yb8y.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/141saki.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/2iudr3k.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i25.tinypic.com/11tsdbk.jpg[/IMG]

He is solid and lets just say I was pretty shocked to see the solid colt

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Cheri! Why were you surprised at a solid? is your mare homozygous or the stallion? Just curious..I think my mare will be having a solid too, but we bred her to a non paint. He sure is cute..glad he is doing better...thank goodness it's over for you! LOL

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a cutie pie! I'm glad he's doing better. How long did it take before he drank from the mare? I wonder why he didn't drink? I'm glad he's doing better now. I love the picture of him with the blanket! That cracked me up. It's like he's wearing his big brothers clothes. lol

I love his coloring, it's very pretty and the white marking on his face. He's a keeper!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 842
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Cheri!!! I also love the pic with the blankie :-)

My last foal wouldn't nurse either for some reason and she ended up with a plasma transfusion. After about 6-8 hrs she figured it out and never had a problem but no matter what we did at first she would not latch on to that nipple!!!

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 911
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quite the cutie he can be Showies Eclipse. lol you have one more to foal dont you?

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 398
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

congratulations! Very handsome boy!

Kathy due 2/26/08
Weanling
Username: Kckcnurse

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri ~ congradulations of your new colt. He is very cute.

Jenni ~ I love that name. I named a paint filly last yr. Eclipse.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a stout fellow! Congratulations! You should be so pleased with his color. He is darling such a great face. Congrats!

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 01:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone, we have called him Gunner, and he will be registered French Creek Showgun Eclipse.

He is doing awesome, he was born around 7-8 pm and didn't nurse on his own until 1pm the next day. We had to milk Showie and bottle feed him every hour, and then every 20minutes, and then finally he understood where and how to do it on his own

Kim- I thought Gunner would have had more white because she was a paint with a lot of white, and him being a spotted draft he too had a lot of white, so I was shocked to only see a white star

So far he looks to be Grullo in color, he has all the markings and out lines of a Grullo. The photos are hard to tell as it makes him look lighter.

I do still have on more mare to go and that is Pepsi she is due around the 7th of March.

Here are a few more photos of him from today
[IMG]http://i25.tinypic.com/2iry92.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/34tcrib.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/315zig2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/ok546o.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i29.tinypic.com/6yjvo1.jpg[/IMG]

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 124
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 07:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aww, just adorable....my mare has alot of white too, so we'll see! She looks like she just loves him so much...what a mama!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is so cute. You took some awesome pictures of two of them. I absolutely love his color! I can't wait for my mare to foal, I want to see what I have. Are you keeping him? What plans do you have for Gunner?

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 557
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Pepsi.....how is she now that this baby is here? He is soooooo cute! Does she want one?

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure what we will do with Gunner as of yet, we were planning on selling the foals, but he is just so darn cute LOL

Pepsi was grinding her teeth at first at the new foal, but now she just stares at him in awe. I think her mommy instincts are kicking in :-)

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 558
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YEA! at least she has this pleasant little distraction to help her through the rest of her pregnancy.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 921
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gunner is a cute name. that is funny bout Pepsi soon she'll have her own little terror

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 547
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Cheri! Gunner is so cute. Is mom or dad a dun or grulla? Does Gunner have the dorsal stripe? What did you use to milk Showie, and did you use a regular baby bottle? I can't remember, was Showie a maiden? Did she show you all the signs? Sorry for all the questions, but my mare is a maiden and is 312 days today. I just want to get all the info I can, cause I'm getting nervous. I like the registered name you picked. Talk to you soon I hope.

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 01:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Showie is a Dun, but she was registered as a Grulla, I think because her mom was a grulla. Gunner has all the markings of a Grulla, the strip, the tiger marked legs, the tiger swirl on the neck etc.

As for milking I took a syringe, cut of the top, sanded it down so it was smooth and used it like a breast pump, poured the milk into a water bottle and placed a nipple on it that was from a a tack store. Every hour he was fed, and then we would try and get him to drink from the bottle by the udders, and then we finally forced his to feed off Showie. It is for sure a two or three man job, depending if you mare will stand and let you milk her without someone holding her.

Showie, showed NO signs at all, I fed at 6.30 she was normal, I went back up around 10 or shortly after and he was on the ground.

The only signs she lead for me to even question is early in the day, she walked around her pen, like she was scoping it out. The whites in her eyes were bloodshot, and the skin between the anus and the vulva was puffy. But NO signs like the book said.

The baby never dropped, her dock area was still firm, she had resistance in her tail, her vulva wasn't relaxed nor puffy

She went 340 days

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 926
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 01:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet that was a suprise. Wish nugget would just do that instead of showing every sign darn near then doing nothing. What size syringe did you use? congrats again

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yes it was a surprise, BUT she did show all the signs weeks before this, and then nothing, the night I change my schedule, she has it LOL

Here is a link to the milking, it will show you exactly what I did, and man is it every easy

http://www.breederscorner.com/syringe.shtml

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 549
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the great info Cheri. I knew about that link for the homemade breast pump, and was planning to do the same thing. I haven't been able to find a nipple though. Did you sterilize the pump, bottle, nipple etc.? This was Showie's first right? You said the dad was black and white tobiano right? I can't find the post.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 930
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=1&mscssid=9VJJP7C3KL9H8PFPQ58FB LLEN07EE998
here are the nipples

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 931
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok nevermind that link didnt work go here http://www.jeffersequine.com and type nipples in the search box.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 553
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jenni. My husband and I are going to clean and get Baby's stall ready today. I am also going to wash and braid her tail. Do you think it would be ok to also wash her udder with a little mane and tail shampoo, diluted of couse, and then rinse well?

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 933
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes that would be fine

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Charlene

Yes I sterilized everything before hand. I got my nipple from the feed and tack store, it was in the section for cows etc, it is pretty small, more for goats I would say

Yes the stud was a black and white tobiano Draft, and this was Showies first.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 558
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jenni.

Cheri, if you sterilized everything, then tell me,how you sterilized the water bottle without melting it? I also plan to use a 3" long prescription bottle to dip the umbilical cord with, and was thinking if I was to boil it to sterilize it, won't it melt? Doesn't the same go for a plastic 60cc syringe?

Samantha
Neonate
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My maiden mare foaled a healthy, BIG filly (had to use chains to pull her out) at 320 days :]

Good luck!

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene run them threw the dishwasher by themselves

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 560
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cheri, for the info, I'll try that.

Hi Samantha, What do you mean you had to use "CHAINS" to pull her out? Are you serious!!! Please explain. You're telling me that your maiden mare had a filly so big at 320 days ( before the average gestation) that you had to use chains to pull her out! Wow, what did you breed her to??? Do you have any pics you can share? I would love to see her.

Kathy due 2/26/08
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Samantha: WOW that sounds like a lot of work!!! I have all the same ??? that Charlene asked.

I have a maiden mare "Cooly" who is looking very large. She was bred to a big halter horse with lots of muscle. She herself is young, 3 yrs old. I'm real worried for her. Cooly is starting a udder now and is very unhappy. She won't let me touch her belly. She tried to bite me the other day as I was giving her treats. She stumps & kicks her feet as the baby must be moving. She doesn't like the feeling of something being in her belly. Cooley is due 4/4/08

My other mare Lakota is due tomorrow. She had a foal last yr. So she shouldn't be a problem. Lakota is sweet and loves her belly rubbed. She is also bred to the same stallion as Cooly. ~K~

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 566
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kathy, do you have any recent pics of Cooly and Lakota? Is Lakota showing any signs yet? Is she getting close do you think? I'm so excited for you, won't be long now.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 850
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only time I have heard of chains being used is when the foal has already died and the mare is exhausted and cannot get the foal out. It can actually be very harmful to pull out a foal (completely different than cows!). You should never pull on a foal unless mom is not making any head way (call the vet first!) and GENTLY pull with contractions. I have never had to do this though, it's pretty rare.

Kathy due 2/26/08
Weanling

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Charlene: I posted some pictures last week on Lakota. I have to work the next 3 days & their 12 hr shifts (nursing) so by the time I get home (7pm) it's dark out but I'll try to get my husband to take some shots. I don't know if he'll do the udder. I'm trying to gear him up so when they drop to have their foal (Lakota & Cooly) he will know what to do. I don't have the time to take off (only if I really have to).

Lakota looks like a tank. It's so funny to see her walking around in the field going from side to side.

Cooly (miss moody) on the other hand is going to be my problem child. The only horse that she wants to hang out with in the field is with Lakota. I hope Lakota is telling her the good stuff and that all will be ok. Cooly is starting to get a small udder. ~K~

Saleste Clark
Breeding Stock
Username: Saleste

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

congrats Cheri (i'm running a little behind, i know) Little gunner is sooo adorable...i'm not sure that i could sell him either! him and his mama are cute together, they look like the perfect little pair!

I'd never heard of using chains either! when we raised cows, that was a pretty common occurence (well, i wouldnt say 'common' maybe, but more common than horses). My boyfriends grandpa used to raise (or maybe still raises??) halter and ranch horses and he would cross his halter stallion on ranch bred mares. his '06 foal crop all ended up aborting at 6 months and they were born about 130 pounds. they were huge, he had to pull a couple of them, but that was extreme circumstances. i heard the stallion he used is now an awesome roping gelding:-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 389
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats on your new colt!!!! Love his color!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 581
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering if anyone could tell me when does the baby get into the divers position? After they are in position, generally how much longer is it before birth? Thanks in advance, Char

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI CHARLENE,I FOUND THIS INFO ,ITS THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION.
http://www.shenandoahmini.com/situations.html

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 01:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I thought I would let everyone know, Pepsi had a beautiful black and white filly this morning :-) Very big and healthy. We did however have to have Pepsi sedated to let the foal nurse but now she is letting her nurse on her own

Pepsi was only 330 days today, and good thing she had this filly now as she was huge

[IMG]http://i32.tinypic.com/2u5q0hx.jpg[/IMG]

Jane
Breeding Stock
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations, what a beautiful filly, you must be over the moon!

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 561
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YEA!!!!! Pepsi looks happier! What a treasure! Tell us all the details of the birth.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri~YAHOO! What a perfect little filly! She is darling. Very nicely colored. Congratulations. So glad that mom is settling into her "mom" role. She is a big girl :-)

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri,congrats,pepsi looks much happier,and what a little beauty u have!!!I would like to order the same thing ,please!!!

Catherine Owen
Weanling
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri,
What a pretty marked foal! She is a stunner! I noticed the pic sort of cut off her legs and feet, are her hind legs okay?

P.S. you take REALLY GOOD horse pics!

(Message edited by cateowen on February 27, 2008)

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri,did you get to see the birth???can you give details please!did you do the nail test??what did you want filly or colt????If you got to see the birth did she have her out side or in the barn,how long was labor??sorry,but we are coming up to bat soon...thanks for any info...

Saleste Clark
Breeding Stock
Username: Saleste

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY Cheri!!! She is so perfect!! What a big girl though:-) Pepsi does look much happier, I wish Jessie would take the hint and just go ahead and have her baby:-)

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you everyone

I did not get to see the birth, Pepsi was 330 days, showed no signs at all, no bag nothing....

When I went up that night to feed, all was good, come morning there was this big filly on the ground walking with her.

All seemed normal, the placenta was HUGE, heavy and thick, a lot thicker then Showies.

Pepsi was being an excellent mother, except would not let her feed, so we did have to have the vet sedate her for most of the day until she gave in. Now it is free milk bar LOL

Sorry about the pics, her legs and feet are fine, I was shacking when I took the pictures as that was right at the same time that I seen the foal on the ground LOL. I was crying with enjoyment and shocked at the color so it was hard to keep a steady hand LOL

I will take more photos today of her and post them.

I am sad I missed both mares deliveries, they both showed no signs, nothing, I even checked every couple hours on Showie, and she foaled right after I feed dinner at 6.30

This filly is what I was hoping for, I wanted a black and white, and a filly :-)

Still need a name so any help would be great

And thank you all for the help and support on my two mares

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 874
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Cheri! If baby wasn't nursing did she get any colostrum? Have you had her antibodies checked yet? She's very cute!

Catherine Owen
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri,
Those ole mares like to be sneaky about things. Glad all is well with you new little additions.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri, congratulations, that filly is gorgeous and big! They make a cute pair, mom & baby. :-)

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tracy, yes she did get Colostrum, we had her feeding with an hour, just had to have Pepsi Sedated first. We were trying to use a twitch on her etc, but all our attempts failed so we went with Sedation. The vet also gave the filly a few shots as well, just to be safe.

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 161
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi cheri,what shot did the vet give the foal??

Kay B. Jones,Nova born 2/24
Breeding Stock
Username: Kaybjones

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Cheri!! I didn't get to see Topi give birth either. Maybe its easier on them if we aren't there. My mare is letting me take a big part now with him.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Cheri, she is beautiful...what does daddy look like? It's so fun to see what we get...I can't wait, but have a ways to go yet! :-)

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 406
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri, she's so cute! I'm jealous!! I keep gettin' stinkin' colts They're cute when they're little, but pains in the arse later on. Is she part draft? She's got lots of bone and she's down in the pasterns like draft babies tend to be.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 583
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judy, that is a really great website thanks

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 584
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Cheri. What a beautiful filly. I hope mine is as beautiful as yours. Was Pepsi a maiden, I can't remember. Keep us informed of her progress, and keep the pics coming.

Kathy due 2/26/08
Yearling

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy to see all went well in this unexpected time !!! Lakota is due any~day~time now.
Good luck with your new filly.
~K~

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy maybe you will get a leap year foal too!

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will pull the bill out see what the shot consisted of, I know he gave her two, and one had Selenium in it, another AVE (don't know what that stands for) and something else LOL

Yes this filly is part draft, she will be registered with the North America Spotted Draft Registry

This is Pepsi's first foal, she is doing much better with the foal now, and letting her nurse.
[IMG]http://i25.tinypic.com/2v3lyr6.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i26.tinypic.com/4v69ao.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/20axtzo.jpg[/IMG]

And here is her daddy, he is a 17.2hh Premium Spotted Draft
[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/muk9xf.jpg[/IMG]

I am looking for name suggestions as well, we are stumped

Gunner is doing really well as well, getting very playful, likes to buck at you etc, OHHH the joys of having colts. I am glad this one came out a filly

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheri,what a beautiful filly,she looks to have some of her moms blue roan color,does she??Daddy is huge,iF pepsi can have a foal from him i wouldnt worry about a baby being to big to come out.AMAZING,JUST AMAZING!!Are you going to be keeping her????

cheri keddy
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Judy

I am not sure if she will have the blue roan in her or not. I will have to wait for her to shed out a bit. But I do see a lot of flecking in the hairs, to make me think she may roan out.

I wasn't planning on keeping her. My hubby says, if I do keep her, someone has to go, he won't let me have 5 horses :-(

I was worried about the size difference, I said if she did go past 330 days this filly would have come out with a saddle on its back LOL

When I look at her and see how big she is, I am amazed that Pepsi didn't tear. Her placenta was huge, thick and very heavy, where as Showies was tiny and very thin and light

Lorna Glen /Tosh due 4/19
Nursing Foal
Username: Lornaglen

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cherri, good job Pepsi!! She is sooooo adorable, she's a big girl but seems very girlish! And Dad is just as handsome as he can be! I'm trying to remember without going back over the posts about Pepsi being cranky. Was she the one that was cranky?

I think husbands should understand they all become part of the family.

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Weanling
Username: Raknrydr

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Cherri, beautiful filly, nice color too with the minimum color of the stud and with Pepsi being a Blue Roan.
Adorable.

Kathy due 2/26/08
Yearling

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congradulations Cherri !!!! He is beautiful. Are you keeping him? I love paints and he is painted real nice. Best Wishes with him. ~K~

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 397
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cherri he sure is a cutie! Really nice coloring!

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 165
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI,I HAVE A QUESTION??DICE HAS HARD UDDERS AND SWELLING INFRONT OF THEM,WHAT CAN I DO FOR HER TO GET THE SWELLING OR HARDNESS TO GO AWAY,I HAVE HOSED IT AND WALKED HER BUT NO CHANGE.THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Judy, My mare battled this same thing during her last pregnancy. The edema even was up under her belly, so much that you could push your finger in and it would stay indented with the finger impression. Just continue the hosing and excercise. I found that ponying her out helped more than walking. All I can tell you that thankfully it resolved quickly after she finally gave birth. This is Dice right? How many more days does she have?

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI JAN,THANK YOU I WISH I HAD ANOTHER HORSE TO PONY HER OFF OF,ALTHOUGH I WOULD PROBLY GET PULLED OFF BECAUSE DICE IS VERY SLOW MOVIN AND SHE LIKES TO STOP AND LOOK AROUND OR JUST STOP IM NOT SURE IF THE BABY STARTS MOVING OR WHAT.DICE IS DUE APRIL 18TH SO ALMOST THERE.I HAVE BEEN PLAYING PARELLI GAMES WITH HER SO WE GET SOME TROTTING AND SIDEWAYS MOVEMENT,ITS MORE FUN THAN JUST WALKING.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is great. It sounds like you are doing all you can for her. Bummer those last few months of pregnancy!

Samantha
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Cheri!

We used chains specialized for this purpose. The vet gently puts them on the front legs, and uses that handles to pull the foal out. It is only done when time is running out, and we know the foal is in the right position. Yep, my maiden Arabian mare had an extremly leggy filly at 320 days. Luckily she foaled at 320 though, I doubt we would have been able to get her out. My mare is 15.1 hands, but very narrow, and I bred her to the 16.3 hand Selle Francais, Bas Blanc. I am pleased with the result!

Here are some pictures of her:
Just born!:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h253/arabian_dreams/5-16-07025.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h253/arabian_dreams/5-16-07022.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h253/arabian_dreams/5-16-07010.jpg

First day:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h253/arabian_dreams/5-16-07177.jpg

Two days old:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h253/arabian_dreams/5-18-07393.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h253/arabian_dreams/5-18-07414.jpg

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samantha, what a beautiful filly! Those hills in the background look like CA...I am from CA what part are you in? Beautiful mare and filly Just too cute!

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 408
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samantha, she is adorable, cute little head! Your mare is beautiful also...Good luck!

Dottie Rutledge
Neonate
Username: Heavyhoof

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay everyone. I've got to ask. I have a maiden mare who is now 346 days! I can't stand it anymore! I also have a Percheron mare (not maiden) who is 340 days today. She looks more ready than Sassy (maiden). She's dropped just about to the ground, very relaxed, filling up pretty good. Of course last year she didn't fill up until the night before! I'm not concerned with Maqggie (Percheron). Sassy on the other hand just isn't acting any different than normal. She's always a little cranky. It just scares me that she will need help and I will be at work or sawing logs! I keep her put up at night and check on her a couple times a night. No change at all! No baby!!! I have never had a maiden mare before. I'm so used to the "Pro's" that pretty much tell you..."hey Mom...I'm ready". Any good advice? How long can she go???? We bred her on April 1st last year. And Maggie was April 6th.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 954
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dottie, it's frustruating isn't it? Not to make it worse but horses can go over 365 days :-( Hopefully your mare will not do this but it is possible.

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DOTTIE,I THINK IT WAS JOS THAT SAID NORMAL IS 320-370,HANG IN THERE!!!!

Samantha
Weanling

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys :]

Yup, Im in California, about an hour out of Sacramento.

Dottie Rutledge
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay...my maiden is now 351 days. She's still running around and acting like a spas!! Friday night she got very "snuggly" with me. That's very unusual for her. And the draft mare is now 345 days. Her bag is filling great and she's got a big giant soft butt and has "grown" quite a bit in her little girly area...but still nothing! People have stopped asking. I'm beginning to think they both just have big grass bellies and unbelievable gas!

Cyndy Wiser
Weanling
Username: Cyndy

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dottie, do you have a baby yet? Post pics of your mares when you can.

Dottie Rutledge
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No babies yet! Sassy is now 358 days and Maggie is 352 days. It is driving me absolutely insane!
[IMG]http://i25.tinypic.com/i4nx4y.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i29.tinypic.com/2gtvl1c.jpg[/IMG]

I hope these work. The little mare is Sassy and of course the big mare is Maggie Mae.

Dottie Rutledge
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Maggie had her filly on the 27th. Black Percheron and a Bay roan Clydesdale sure made an unusual baby!!! Sassy is now 367 days and still going! I have no idea what to do about her. Everything seems to be going good. Any thoughts on her? She is maiden, so I guess I should expect her to go longer??? Here are some pics of "Heavy Hoof's Dancing Flame" or "Bonnie". She will be registered Spotted Draft and up for sale in about 6 months or so!
[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/v783r9.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/9zmvk6.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/rvvqrl.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/5aow12.jpg[/IMG]

And of course, here's Daddy!

[IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/da26h.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i25.tinypic.com/2lm9ms0.jpg[/IMG]

Bobbi Govro
Yearling
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dottie: Awwwww...what a doll! (I love them paints..hehe). Maggie did a great job! I'm convinced these maidens sole purpose in life is to drive us nuts. Welcome to the neurotic maiden equine owners association. Good foaling vibes for you and Sassy. Maybe Sassy has the idea now that Maggie showed the way.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, that's alot of white out of two solid darker colors..what a cutie

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dottie!!!!!
She is a Medicine Hat!!!!! (at least on the side I can see in the pics). Does her "bonnet" go all the way across her head and both ears are dark?

Several American Indian tribes considered these to be good luck and good medicine. Supposedly the rider of a Medicine Hat was protected from harm.
That is cool

Dottie Rutledge
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catherine....yes it does connect in the middle and it's totally isolated to her ears. I was reading up about that also. She has the chest plate and the flank plate also. I hear they looked at this as a "natural" coat of armor in all the appropriate spots for battle. She is just as sweet as can be also. She absolutley loves people! She is 1 week old today and is more affectionate than any of the others. Almost too much. She's going to get huge and will try and be in your back pocket every minute she can. I was wondering if she's extra comfortable with humans because I talked to her every night in Mama's belly. I know human babies can hear you. I wonder if it's the same. But, we still have our maiden mare hangin' in there. She's at 368 days today. Her bags have finally filled to where her teets point outward. I'm really hoping that's a good sign she will go any day. maiden's are hard to judge.

Dottie Rutledge
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sassy finally had her baby! The day I posted my last message. thursday at 6:30 pm! during feeding time if you can believe that. Her water broke as I was standing next to her. Crazy!! She had a little trouble so I called the vet and he had me pull the baby out. Even Crazier! But, Sassy seemed very grateful. She had a little long legged colt named "Jumping Jack Flash". she was bred to our Clydesdale stud. Jack got his white markings but mama's sorrel color. He's gonna be a beauty!!
[IMG]http://i30.tinypic.com/2lcqq76.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i30.tinypic.com/mrtpfn.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/14tu68g.jpg[/IMG]

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 530
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats, Dottie!!!! What a sweetheart!!!!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dottie: Wow, a roan. Nice! Maybe mom just knew she was going to need your help and she waited for you to be there

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Dottie!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dottie~Congrats on another dandy foal! Nice babies for you this year!

Samantha
Yearling

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dottie, congrats! He is gorgeous!

My maiden mare did the exact same thing, water broke just as I was feeding her! And, the Vet was needed to get the filly out.

Once again, congrats!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 830
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 02:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Dottie, He is gorgeous, and I like his markings. I also like his name, "Jumping Jack Flash" . Too cute!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US