SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

I'm stumped/vet is stumped

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » I'm stumped/vet is stumped « Previous Next »

bonnie scott
Neonate
Username: Late4thesky

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi..great site
I bought a 12 yr old APHA mare in October /07 to breed to my stallion.she has had 5 foals in the past the last one was spring/07. When I got her she had one side of her teats slightly bigger and the previous owner said that is normal for her.

I have kept an eye on it and now she seems to be bagging up. both teats are big and she has a skim milk like liquid coming out when I milked her to check. the previous owner said that the yearlings and two yr olds were sneaking drinks from her in the pasture but HAS NOT been exposed to any colts/stallions.

Vet came out yesterday, did a rectal and said she couldn\t feel her entire uterus, this might be because she's had 5 foals and it is streached out or IF she is pregnant aroubd the 5 month mark she wouldn't be able to feel it as the baby would be weighing it down.

She shows no signs of heat yet. She is kept on the property with my 4 yr old stud ,no possible way they have been together,seperate fields ect..

The vet ruled out infection and mastitis,which is awsome but she said it's just a waiting game to see whats going on..has anyone had this happen?

any info would be great.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 528
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like you need info from previous owners, not us!

bonnie scott
Neonate
Username: Late4thesky

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering if anyone had a mare with the same signs and symptoms and what might be going on. I'm sure there are alot more mare owners here than one lady owning a few mares.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 795
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldnt think that you would be able to express milk at this stage in the game from THIS preg. if she is preg.
you could try the we foal test or have a bllod test done.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 529
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Bonnie, I personally only own 16 mares by choice, I used to have over 50 and I foal over 100 foals a year for clients, I specialize in repro and sure a message board can guess what is going on with your mare but the previous owners will come closer to telling you exactly what is going on, repro is no guessing game.

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 289
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Bonnie,

I agree with Cathy (and she knows what she's talking about) that your best source of info will be the previous owner. However, I will tell you that we had a mare (Clydesdale) who always had milk. She did not, however, bag up unless she was near foaling. We also had a clydesdale filly who had milk as a newborn. None of the vets could figure that one out! There are so many variables. Did your vet do an ultrasound? If the previous owners are no help, maybe an ultrasound would help out. IF she is pregnant, she needs prenatal care (Pneumabort shots, etc.) Keep us posted!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some mares produce milk all the time - especially older mares.

Another cause of a distended uterus is pyometra. As the mare has allegedly not been exposed to the stallion, this is a distinct possibility.

You need the mare ultrasounded in addition to palpated. Palpation can only tell you there's a distended uterus. Palpation can define what it's distended with.

Have the mare ultrasounded.

Zoe Urquhart
Weanling
Username: Landtober_babe

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colleen, I just noriced you point out about yur clydesdale always having milk, I find this to be really common with the breed actually, we have many mares who rarely dry up completely and now and then see young fillies with small udders that look milky. I have also found with many maidens that once they have raised one foal there udders always remain big like an older broodmare who has had many foals - big teats ect. maybe something with the breed.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 801
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ZOE- how are you feeling?

Zoe Urquhart
Yearling

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jenni, I tried to have a peek at your baby piccies but they are gone now I think!!!
I`m feeling fat, slow, uncomfortable, useless LOL where do I stop!? only 4 weeks to go now though thank goodness, I have hospital on Tuesday so maybe they will take me in and save my mind! :-)
I use msn messenger and I don`t know if this will work with yahoo but if you think it will would you add me? my addy is clydesdales6@hotmail.com
How are you feeling? and how is your gorgeous little guy doing? x

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 293
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zoe - that's really interesting. I never realized it could be breed specific. We don't have Clydes anymore...just one Shire mare and a bunch of Gypsies. Never experienced it with any of my Shire mares, come to think of it.

Zoe Urquhart
Yearling

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How strange! I wonder if it`s worth asking other clyde breeders if they have this opinion to?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US