SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Another prego mare?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Another prego mare? « Previous Next »

corina gabel
Neonate
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 01:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have this mare that was bread to my stallion in june. Doent know if she had a foal but deffinatly been bred before. We have had her sence she was 4, now 7. She is mustang cross. With the sterotypical mustang attitude. Wild and teritorial, only likes women, no men.

she didnt come into heat in july. We checked every day from 14 days after breeding date untill aug. 5th. She came back in then.bred 4 times in 2 days, WE bred her again to him. Then checked every other day f/14days to mid nov.She is starting to swell. ON dec. 11 we took her to THE VET. (male mind you). She previously would not enter the stocks ( last year stitches removed tied to the trailer, by vet assistint who was female), anyway walked right in stood nicly for him didnt even glare when he shoved that thing up there :P.

he looked and looked all of 5 mins. Confirmed some fluid, but wouldnt linger on it. Said her uteris is slightly swolen, and overies arent really big but not really shrunken eather. could not find a fetis. No sound so no heart beat...

HES SAYES NO WAY.

her belly seems hard, unlike our fat mare how kind of feels like JELLO. She not really one to over eat and get fat, But seems to be growing.

I thought i seen her belly shifting the other night while she was eating, like our mare that foaled in april.

earlyest anyone has seen this shifting or moving?
what kind of growth rates are people seeing?
I KNOW EVEN ONE IS DIFFENT BUT JUST IN GENERAL.

i have heard in rare cases that a mare fenced next to or with a stallion can show signs of "fake" heat (the squating) due to hormonal changes in the 2 or 3 month and some stand for a stallion but for only a day or so. Has anyone seen this or even heard of this?
Bug seemed less willing the 2nd time and only showed heat for 2 days, instead of her normal 6 or 7 day "b-fit"}

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 550
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have seen several mares stand for and tease a stallion while preg. At about 6 months is when my shetland decided to look preg. She went from nothing to looking like she'd explode if you touched her. In my big horses it seemed that 5-7 months is when you could look and see that they were prego as well

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 491
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that my mares show pregnancy around 6 months but I usually don't see movement until around 8 months. Usually vets are right but some are definitely wrong so if you really feel she may be pregnant I would get a second opinion. Keep us posted :-)

Beth
Nursing Foal
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some mares that are around stallions and who really want a foal can carry a phantom foal. Without a vet, it can be really difficult if not impossible to tell between a real foal and a phantom. The mares go through all the usual signs, swelling, loose muscles etc. Some can even go through false labour! Silly mares. The last time your vet checked her was on the 11 Dec 07? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I would wait about a month or so and then get her scanned again.

corina gabel
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes she was checked the 11th. I have to take her about 60 miles to another vet. I am worried that she isnt then im out all this but im worried that she is. The ultrasound machine didnt even have sound.
I found out to day that he checked a mare last winter at 10 month and declared her open. The people rode her hard the next week, she foaled and died. there have been a few people who have said hes a bad vet but i didnt believe them.

She was around him for about 4 months. Shes kinda mean and wouldnt even look at him with out doing a mean little winny and dance- unless she was ready. So her standing for him has me thinking that she didnt take but her sizes makes me think that she did?
Does that admin have any thing to say about standing for stallion after allready breed?

ohh we have about 2 1/2 foot to 3 foot of snow so we are regulateing her diet and she seem to sill be growing.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 532
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only way you're going to know for sure is to have a different vet come out and check her. Pregnant mares can and do stand to be bred. Oh, just so you know (I'm not saying the vet wasn't bad) most ultrasounds do not have sound. :-) Only very expensive ones in the hospital usually do so I don't think that is anything to worry about :-) Keep us posted on what you find out.

corina gabel
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks. Its just so hard out here where you dont have options.
i am hoping to get some pics to have every one look at her belly

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 538
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, try to take some pics. Obviously we can't tell you for sure but it's always nice to get other opinions :-)

corina gabel
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

everyones horses look so good this time of year... well we have fuzzy scruffy horses in 3 foot of snow
This is jitter bug

http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/newyearsbaby05/?action=view&current=DCA M0059.jpg

http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/newyearsbaby05/?action=view&current=DCA M0052.jpg

http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/newyearsbaby05/?action=view&current=DCA M0043.jpg

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US