SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How does a mare get bred during what should be anestrus

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » How does a mare get bred during what should be anestrus « Previous Next »

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 655
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 05:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been wondering about this for a long time now. There are a few mares here that are due in the middle of winter that are from a cold region.

How does a mare get bred in November or December of last year, to foal in December or January of the next year? I thought the mare is in anestrus during October through March. I'm very confused.

Jane Olney-Nursemare foal adopt ?/2008
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 509
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It happened to my mare...I just figured the young stallion was pretty darn sexy. No lights...just in a mixed herd over the Michigan winter. The baby was a surprise and was unexpected because the vet said March when palppated....but was born MUCH earlier. Baby was conceived in Jan/Feb timeframe.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 483
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Normally a mare would be, however a few are a little cooky like my sorrel girl Ginger who is readily cycling. The other more common way is to use lights to bring them in. A mares Anstrus is not a set period its just an aprox that can vary with conditions and horses

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 780
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we have a mare that never stops cycling. she comes in every month it does not matter what time of year it is. But she had never had a foal before, so we bred her and that seemed to fix it, she has not come in for about three months now.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 85% of mares will go into winter anestrus, but that means that about 15% don't. Mares that are better-fed, housed in barns with increased lighting duration, or are located closer to the equator (Florida vs. Maine for example) are more likely to be cycling year-round.

If desiring to breed early in the year however, it is important to ensure that these mares that are apparently cycling are actually ovulating - many of them won't be. Signs of estrus are therefore not positively correlated to actual ovulation!

Some obviously however do ovulate... :-)

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 782
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was what heppened with us, our little mare was ovulating, and she could be one nasty mare when she was in season, so we are VERY happy that she has not cycled since winter has started this year.
I think she cycled because the place she was kept by her previous owners, there was a large light that shined over her pen. So I think that was also what made her cycle.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 664
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all for your help in answering my question. I just find it so weird since it's been so hard to get my mares bred and other mares seem to get bred by just looking at a stallion. (figuritively speaking). I would love to own a mare like that!

Terry Waechter 5 march foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a couple of weeks ago I noticed that one of my two year old fillies appeared to be in strong heat....she was teasing to other mares....squatting, peeing, winking etc....her poor little bottom was crusted with something thick and yellow....

She was going to the vet to have her teeth done and so I had her palpated...sure enough she had a HUGE follicle.

I was very surprised this time of year but it is good to know she is going to be a hussy. She lives in a field, no lights, no colts or stallions, Hope we can breed her in early Feb...that would be great if she continues to cycle through the winter.

Terry Waechter 5 march foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S. Don't worry ladies, she is three in February and is a big 16 hh, 1200 # filly, mature enough to carry a pregnancy in her third year.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 666
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, I will note all your suggestions, thanks. PS you are so fortunate to have a hussy!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 956
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry,
I have a friend that breeds her filly's at 3 then gives them a year or two off....my mare had such "silent" heats it was so frustrating so count your blessings that your girl is so "obvious" :-)

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 518
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an accident foal due in Nov. I think I have to confirm her. Unfortunately shes only 2 1/2. I had a pasture problem and had to put her in with the stallion. She had not been cyclying previously but she came right in in the middle of Dec. without any lights or special feed. just pasture. I did learn tht my paint is quite the gentleman with the ladies as I hadnt bred him yet.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 962
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a friend who had a late October foal. No problems of course we live in So. California so that is a lot different then in the midwest/back east! I will hang in there till the end of '08 waiting for your foal to come!

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 520
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jan.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US