SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pyometra in Retired Mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Pyometra in Retired Mare « Previous Next »

Kendra Hansis
Neonate
Username: Hansiska

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare will soon be 24. She has had 13 foals, 2 for me. She last foaled in 2006 and retained some placenta. She had a bad infection which nearly killed her, but she got over it. I bred her halfheartedly that year, just happy she was still alive. She had an EED and, as it was late in the season, I decided a year off would be ok. (Although I didn't have much choice because the stallion stopped collecting).

This year we started in April and soon found she had an infection (yeast + strep zoo). My vet and I tried very very hard -- 8 days of lavage -- and managed to get a clean culture and cytology. I bred her but she held the follicle forever and didn't take. When she was ready to go again (even after post breeding lavage and oxytocin protocol) she again came up with yeast.

I decided to retire her. At this point, her vulval conformation is quite bad and she clearly can't clean herself.

My question or situation is this: now, seven months later (in Nov) she's short-cycling herself and exuding pus. I'm fairly certain it's a case of chronic pyometra. She's eating fine and seems otherwise healthy, though she does seem to have a bit of edema at her sides and her sides are painful. (If you put pressure on her as if checking for a foal, she'll quickly raise a hind leg at you, which is very uncharacteristic).

Everything I've read about pyometras says that if you don't plan to breed the mare, just leave them alone. But I'm a little torn over it. If she's painful, shouldn't I do something? Does she require a week of lavages every six months? I can't put her (or me -- I did them all) through that.

Will this get worse? What effect will this eventually have on her? How long can a mare go like this?

Kendra Hansis
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos? Anyone?

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 325
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't ignored you Kendra, I just don't know anything about this. Anyone out there that can help her?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pyometra in the equine is most commonly characterized by a pus-filled uterus with a closed cervix. I would therefore have the mare ultrasounded to check whether this is the case or not. It may be that it is not particularly bad and she is still cycling at which time (estrus) she is leaking the pus through the now-open cervix.

There really isn't much you can do with a chronic pyometra. It is not like pyometra in the dog, where systemic illness is a sequela, but will typically just be there. If you're not planning on breeding her again, the simplest thing is to ignore it. Essentially the only alternative is repeated a treatment cycle and reinfection; or a hysterectomy (which is not commonly performed in the equine).

Kendra Hansis
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos (and Tracy). My suspicion is that it may be somewhat bad. I've read that in some of the more extreme cases the mare seems to be pregnant because the uterus becomes that distended. I forgot to mention that in the past eight weeks I've been wondering if she may, by some miracle, be pregnant, because she's been getting larger. I gave up that hope when I realized she was short cycling herself.

I guess I just have trouble with ignoring it when she seems to have discomfort. She has edema and discharge. Added to her lymphangitis, I'm just wondering how much discomfort the old girl should be expected to bear. I'll talk to my vet and see what he thinks.

If there are others out there who have had retired mares in the same boat, I'd be interested to know how things played out for you. Will she reach a point where she just stops eating, or, as some of the literature seems to indicate, is there the possibility that the uterus would actually rupture?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The degree of uterine distention would not be likely to manifest as an enlargement visible externally. Most pregnant mares do not manifest as such (despite the owner's frequent assertions to the contrary! :-)) until about 6-7 months.

I suspect that edema if present is a separate issue from the pyometra. As I noted above, the equine uterus is a tremendously insulated organ, so good or bad things can happen independent of the system outside the uterus.

Rupture would be unlikely, especially if she is draining which you seem to be indicating she is.

Kendra Hansis
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is just past 7 months since we bred her. It would be pretty unreal if this turned out to be a pregnancy, so I won't hold my breath!

I'm glad to hear rupture is unlikely.

Thanks, Jos.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US