SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Skin disorder??? help anyone!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Skin disorder??? help anyone! « Previous Next »

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NASTY SKIN SCALING FLAKING This may be a long post...i apologize but i am at witts end!!!
about 6 weeks ago my 18 yr old arab mare (Tsaharah, Jericho's mom for those of you who may remember) started with a few spots on her lower leg that were thick and scaly but no hair loss, i began treating it by washing it and using cowboy magics "krudbuster" on it... no change for the good.... then her ball of her hock started getting scaly and crusty, and the hock down very swollen but not lame and the scaly skin turned black, and more areas on her lower leg began to be infected. after 2 weeks of treatment and it getting worse i called out the vet, she thought bacterial infection, did antibiotics orally and topically and wrapped it as well as daily washings with hot water and antimicrobial shampoo... no change continued to get worse, so blood work was done, she has low platelets, white cells on low end of normal, her gums and whites of her eyes slightly yellow but all liver fucntion and billiruben test good. everything else good... she did two other tests for lyme disease and erlichia(anaplasma) and she is positive for both, but has NO clinical symtoms of either, so the vet does not want to treat her iv antibiotics without clinical symptoms. The vet has consulted with a vet at university of MN and they thought she was having a dermititis, dermitological(sp?) allergic reaction, so she has been on prednisone and hydroxyzine pamoate for almost 2 weeks and still no improvement, its actually gotten worse as far as the skin condition. The skin is red hot and obviously inflamed, and some of the "scabs" if you pick them off are yellow clear crusty underneath, but mostly they look like a spftened scab of skin. If I apply furazone ointment mixed with a steroid and DMSO topically and wrap it with saran wrap and a polo wrap it will not be swollen the next day, but a day later it will be. we have tried an antifungal med for the past 3 days, (dermalone) and no change, but it was a very small tube and with it being her whole lower leg I am out of it... I am about $600.00 in medications deep right now, not to mention 3 vet visits and NO IMPROVEMENT!!!!
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS WHAT THIS COULD BE?!?!?!? I CAN TAKE PICTURES TODAY AND POST THEM TO SHOW YOU WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE... BUT ANY IDEAS SUGGESTIONS OR HELP FROM ANYONE WELCOMED!!!!!!!!!!
feel free to contact me by email so as to not clog up the board... but i am getting DESPERATE!!!!
kekenina@frontiernet.net
THANKS!!!

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 307
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about treating for scratches? My Arab mare had something very similar to this, we treated her with SMZ tablets (sulfa), scrubbed her leg every day with Betadine soap and kept her leg clean and dry. It took about two weeks but did go away. Can't hurt to try

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 453
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes betadine scrub is my favorite too. Also how about ivermectin orally in case there are mites.....

Probably the "antimicrobial shampoo" is the betadine scrub.....

Good luck.

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we did betadine scrub and another kind of antimicrobial. she was wormed heavy and treated with a permethrin pour on for lice or mites. we have tried about everything.... the vet origionally thought scrathes, and she was on trimethprim sulfa tabs for a week, at a high dose... only worsened...

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 455
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor baby...good luck

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 308
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 07:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm out of ideas, sorry :-( Keep us posted on what you do find out.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 404
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is really perplexing. Everything I would have done, you've done. I'm sending this to my friend whose a vet. She owns horses herself. I hope she can think of something that will help.

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heres two pics that show pretty much what it looks like.
her hock is how is started, http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/100_4191.jpg

and her fetlock is what is progressed to...
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/100_4170.jpg

again thank you for any ideas and help!!!!

Kim Peavy
Weanling
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kris: we are in Florida and where I board, my trainer has several halflinger ponies that get very itchy skin. It eventually opens into sores. She treats it with calm coat ad when they breakout really bad, I believe she gives them cortisone shots? Not sure of that though, but they get some type of allergy shot. It she doesn't watch it...they will itch all their hair off. It looks a little like that on your horse. I don't know if that helps or not....hope you can clear it up, I know they get miserable when they are itchy

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 856
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris..I am so sorry for mare, I know how dear she is to you! My old gelding (28) gets dermatitis, alergies, itching skin, every winter. He goes crazy itching till he itches his skin right off and very dry like that on his legs. What I found is worming him every 4 weeks during the winter helps minimize it some and then I treat his itching spots with Benydryl lotion. I really hope it gets resolved quickly for you!

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UPDATE....
HELLO ALL....
WELL AFTER SWITCHING VETS BECAUSE THE ONE TREATING HER DID NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO OR EVEN WHAT SHE SHOULD HAVE DONE, AND AFTER ABOUT 7 OR 8 WEEKS NOW, I HAVE LOST COUNT... WE HAVE NOW FOUND OUT THE PROBLEM...
SHE HAS A STAPH DERMITITIS INFECTION THAT WAS COMPLICATED BY A PSEUDOMONAS INFECTION... WHICH IS THE WORST POSSIBLE SKIN INFECTION THEY CAN GET.. OR SO I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY SEVERAL PEOPLE....
THAT WAS ALLOWED TO GROW FROM THE USE OF PREDNISILONE AND TOPICAL STEROIDS....
ANYWAY I THINK SHE MAY BE ON THE WAY TO HEALING...
AFTER 6 DAYS OF BAYTILL ANTIBIOTIC SHOTS, AND NOW 5 DAYS GENTAMIACIN, AND WILL PROBABLY BE ON 5 MORE BECAUSE IT IS NOT YET GONE... AS WELL AS DAILY SCRUBBING OFF OF THE NASTY SCABS AND TOPICAL ANTIBIOTIC OINTMENT.
THE VET IS UNSURE HOW SHE ORIGIONALLY GOT IT, WHETHER IT WAS FROM SCRATCHES OR FROM A SMALL WOUND SHE HAD....
BUT I THINK IN A WEEK OR TWO WE WILL BE DONE WITH ALL THE MESSING AROUND WITH SHOTS AND MEDS AND SCRUBBING AND HASSLE!!!
SHE HAS BEEN SOOOO PATIENT WITH ME, BUT SHE IS GETTING PRETTY TIRED OF HUGE SHOTS AND WATER WHEN OUR TEMPS ARE IN THE 20'S... OR LESS!
THANK YOU TO ALL WHO POSTED YOUR IDEAS AND THOUGHTS!!!!!!!!!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 893
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris..I am glad that you are getting it under control! I had my mare get a weird folliculitis/cellulitis right at her cinch area in the last 2 weeks. So so painful and swollen. My vet was at a loss and finally I hauled her to the Equine Hospital last Tuesday and they diagnoised infection of the hair follicles...weird..so shaved, antibiotics SMZ's for 2 weeks and betadine scrub once a day, picking scabs (yuk) and then a salve put on. Looking better! Tossed my old cinch..just in case...yesterday she is finally feeling better!

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 505
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris, what a relief to find out that skin disorder was.

Thanks for letting us know what the prognosis was and what you did to cure it. This will possibly help someone else here, who may have the same issue in the future.

Lisa McDonald
Neonate
Username: Cowgirlbizzo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 03, 2009 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris, I think my mare has this same problem. she has had it for over a year now, three vets here in idaho don't have a clue on what it is or how to treat it??? We even had a biopsy done, which only proved it wasn't cancerous!! I'm going crazy here as nothing seems to help please give me all info you have as to how you got rid of it!! all of your knowledge would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much!

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Friday, July 03, 2009 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa have you had your vet do a bacterial and fungal skin culture on it? My vet picked off some of the waxy scabs and then smeared some of the serum that was under the scab onto a slide and sent it to the University of MN and had it looked at and cultured, he has said I am hoping it comes back fungal but not Pseudomonas.... and sure enough it came back as the nastiest thing it could. It is EXTREMELY hard to get rid of and cost me about $1200.oo to do so, but now a couple years later she is still ok, it paid off.
To treat it she was given like 30cc per day or twice daily(cant remember) of Baytril and then Gentamycin shots for like 16 days. she developed stiff muscles and had to have ace to relax them. Gent is hard on thier muscles when given IM but i am not good at IV and a port just wouldnt have worked for her. Anyway and in the mean time I scrubbed her scabs off twice daily with as hot of water as she would allow and Nolvascan scrub(chlorhexidine) and a stiff bristled toothbrush!!! then put furazone mixed with an antibiotic(cant remember what its called, my vet would crush them up and mix in the furazone with DMSO. It was a yellow pill)I would then apply that and wrap her with a quilted wrap and then a polo wrap to keep the meds on it and to help with the swelling. that was changed every time i cleaned it. I washed the wraps in the washer with bleach between uses. (You could use the disposeable stuff too but I am price saavy.)
It was VERY tedious and time consuming but it paid off. and very painful to her when i would scrub it and pick the scabs off.... somedays she had to be lip twitched to get her to stand for the deep wounds.
Good luck to you and if you have any more questions please email again(sorry it took so long to answer)

Lisa McDonald
Neonate
Username: Cowgirlbizzo

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris-thanks for responding! The 3 vets that i have had look at it, pretty much said they haven't ever seen anything like it before, none of them wanted to do surgery for fear of a bone infection they just say keep it moist with Corona, the one woman vet did biopsy it sent it to washington state and the report only stated it wasn't cancerous!! What was the name of your vet if you don't mind telling me, and possibly I ould have one of these vets contact him regarding treatment. I'm not concerned with the cost as my horse is not getting any better, and as far as time, I'll do whatever it takes to get rid of this stubborn problem!!Thanks again- I really appreciate you writing back with the info!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US