SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Purpura haemorrhagica Q?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 2 » Purpura haemorrhagica Q? « Previous Next »

Squatting_Spur
Neonate
Username: Ladyting

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was looking a a mare for breeding and found one that recovered completely from purpura haemorrhagica in 2003 that left extensive scaring on her back legs but has no effect on breeding. (She had a healthy colt in 2005)

My question is what is purpura haemorrhagica, is there any reason I should avoid this mare as a potential broodmare? She has great lines, but I know absolutly nothing about this disease.

Thanks for help

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 626
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS,

:-). I had a gelding with purpura several months ago. VERY frightening.
Regardless, talk with your vet. What you need to ask the owners of this mare is what brought on the PH.

To summarize what PH is, I cut/paste this for you (it's hard to explain)...
***immune-mediated disease called purpura hemorrhagica following infection with or vaccination from strangles. Purpura hemorrhagica is an immune-mediated vasculitis caused by deposition of immune complexes in the blood vessel walls. This causes edema and hemorrhage of the head, limbs, and/or trunk. The severity of clinical signs varies from a mild, transient reaction to a severe, fatal disease. Severe edema may result in oozing from the skin surfaces and sloughing of the skin may occur. Corticosteroids are the primary treatment for purpura......

The above is not the ONLY way a horse can get purpura, but it is by far the most common. My horse had purpura post strangles vaccination.

There is a lab called Equine Biodiagnostics that leads the field in testing...if you look them up on the web, you will find the site. They are also quite helpful over the phone for questions, etc.

Anyway, purpura is more of a condition (vs. disease), and horses can and do (like mine) recover. It is the body reacting...and purpura is the symptom.

On that note, my horse is absolutely fine. I caught the initial symptoms quickly and my vet and the university collaborated with his treatment. The ONLY recommendation in the future, is to test his serum titer levels via the SEM Elisa test to determine his risk level to strangles, and if vaccination is warranted.

Hope this helps,
Heather

dawn klingener
Neonate
Username: Blue9816

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told back in Jan that my 4yr old twh mare has Purpura Haemorrhagica. She started doing alot better and just yesterday she got bad again both hind legs are swollen and oozing again her legs swelled so bad her skin split in three places on her hind legs (fetlock) I am very worried again and very tired Coul this be caused by hosing her legs down with cold water or too much protein? both times she got bad she had increased protein i put a protein tub in the field and the second time I increased her protein with a higher fat and slightly higher protein I thought I did it slow enough Also both times this happened Ihosed her legs down from the mud the day before. Is there something else I could do for her I love her and I don't want to give up she is back on 32 mg of dexamethasone 2x,s a day bute and 15 smz 2x's a day Does sh still need trihist?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US